Do you have any celebrity endorsements?

Just like the title says, do you?

We recently purchased an autographed photograph from Eric the Midget, from the Howard Stern Show. (which can be viewed here)

Despite being unsure if anyone else we work with will even know who Eric is, I had it personalized for the IGSobe team.

I chose this title as I figure that potential confidentiality agreements would prevent an honest answer to "who's the biggest celebrity you host, if any?"... so anyone else want to share their "endorsements"?

While it would be great to have celebrity endorsement, I doubt a web-hosting firm would really benefit in sales unless they keep up a celebrity marketing campaign for a long time. After all, even though Angelina Jolie would certainly attract attention to your firm- im not sure what the tag line or impetus to buy would be! "Hey my site with sexy pictures of me, and cute pictures of my kids is hosted by acmehosting co, you should try it!"

I guess a well known techy might be a good celebrity endorsement though, not necessarily a popular "celebrity" but good enough. What techy individual would you guys think could drive hosting sales?

For hosting? no, not a good idea.

Quite the contrary.

I used to host Kevin Rose when he was on the show The Screen Savers on tech TV. He did it totally free for me in exchange for 2 dedicated servers I was giving him to run one of his older video based websites.

Here are the notes from one of the shows he plugged us on:
    http://g4tv.com/articles/313/XP-Advi...cams-and-More/
    Scroll down to call number 8.

Now that he made Digg.com, obviously he no longer needs my service. I am pretty sure we were even hosting digg.com during its first couple months when it was unknown.

Needless to say, he got us so many customers. It was almost euphoric when I would create my signups for the day, only to have to come back an hour later to activate 5 more accounts. On days when he would plug my service on TV, I would spike 50+ signups that day. Then for about a month I would average 5-10 signups/day. I was happy, that's for sure.
    Download my eBook + Videos: Starting your own successful web hosting company.
    Learn from a web host with 7 years of experience.

Quote Originally Posted by dbbrock1 View Post
    Quite the contrary.

I used to host Kevin Rose when he was on the show The Screen Savers on tech TV. He did it totally free for me in exchange for 2 dedicated servers I was giving him to run one of his older video based websites.

Here are the notes from one of the shows he plugged us on:
    http://g4tv.com/articles/313/XP-Advi...cams-and-More/
    Scroll down to call number 8.

Now that he made Digg.com, obviously he no longer needs my service. I am pretty sure we were even hosting digg.com during its first couple months when it was unknown.

Needless to say, he got us so many customers. It was almost euphoric when I would create my signups for the day, only to have to come back an hour later to activate 5 more accounts. On days when he would plug my service on TV, I would spike 50+ signups that day. Then for about a month I would average 5-10 signups/day. I was happy, that's for sure.
    So you own pair.com eh?
    Not sure what to put here :-P

Quote Originally Posted by mooseweb View Post
    So you own pair.com eh?
    There was another host mentioned in there, and that's where the site in his sig is hosted. I'm putting my bet on that one.

Then why did he say he owned another host on DigitalPoint, one that was very successful so it seemed and would of most definitely been a full time job.

Quote Originally Posted by mooseweb View Post
    So you own pair.com eh?
    Here is the exact text from the URL I linked to:

"Kevin and Patrick say Pair Networks is a great Web host. It's FreeBSD-based, it has a great reputation for uptime, and it hosts many sites. Pair Networks offers reasonable hosting plans starting at about $5.95 per month for the home user.

Readysetconnect.com is also a cheap, good host for a home user. Its service costs $7.95 a month, and it offers PHP and CGI support."

You call yourself a web host? Did you even bother to WHOIS my domain name before you start saying I don't own the host I claim to?

A full time job? hah heck no. I have these things called employees....

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    There was another host mentioned in there, and that's where the site in his sig is hosted. I'm putting my bet on that one.
    Yey! Someone who knows how to use the sophisticated WHOIS function!

Quote Originally Posted by dbbrock1 View Post
    Here is the exact text from the URL I linked to:

"Kevin and Patrick say Pair Networks is a great Web host. It's FreeBSD-based, it has a great reputation for uptime, and it hosts many sites. Pair Networks offers reasonable hosting plans starting at about $5.95 per month for the home user.
    Readysetconnect.com is also a cheap, good host for a home user. Its service costs $7.95 a month, and it offers PHP and CGI support."

You call yourself a web host? Did you even bother to WHOIS my domain name before you start saying I don't own the host I claim to?

A full time job? hah heck no. I have these things called employees....
    Any need here to be a smart ass?

You did the same thing to me on the other forum, I inquired about the product and apparently I said something wrong. I guess you pissed off someone and they reported you because all I know is you got banned.

Sorry, I don't waste my time doing a whois search on every domain I go too.

I misread the G4 site, MY BAD, OMG THE WORLD IS ENDING.

Honestly take a freakin chill pill.

Quote Originally Posted by SinglehopDS View Post
    While it would be great to have celebrity endorsement, I doubt a web-hosting firm would really benefit in sales unless they keep up a celebrity marketing campaign for a long time. After all, even though Angelina Jolie would certainly attract attention to your firm- im not sure what the tag line or impetus to buy would be! "Hey my site with sexy pictures of me, and cute pictures of my kids is hosted by acmehosting co, you should try it!"
    You mean like Danica Patrick? - who was *not* originally hosted by the company she currently promotes in those really expensive TV commercials.

Kevin

I don't think there would be any benefit for a web host. Perhaps if it was someone like Steve Jobs or Bill gates yes. But otherwise no.

I think it's a big plus for credibility.
    CEO of SingleHop

Quote Originally Posted by zakboca View Post
    I think it's a big plus for credibility.
    I don't think credibility is the proper word, I think it's a big plus to show you have a large bank account.

It's all about marketing.

Who are you marketing your services too, are they the average joe user? Or are they tech type people?

Godaddy does well marketing to people who know they want a website, but don't know why they want a website. Thus Danica Patrick works.

Having a celebrity endorsement is a marketing gimmick, and it WILL work if marketed properly to your target customer base.

I hired Billy Mays and David Carradine, but they haven't shown up yet...what gives??
    This is the best signature in the world....Tribute!
    (It is not the best signature in the world, no. This is just a tribute)

Quote Originally Posted by mugo View Post
    I hired Billy Mays and David Carradine, but they haven't shown up yet...what gives??
    That's not funny man...

i am a celeb myself :d people buy my autographed things.

Quote Originally Posted by Woooo View Post
    i am a celeb myself :d people buy my autographed things.
    That's called a "bank teller".

(j/k, just in case...)
    This is the best signature in the world....Tribute!
    (It is not the best signature in the world, no. This is just a tribute)

sigma raises a good point with the GoDaddy girl. I often look at things like that when you see those advertisements for making money with adwords or whatever. They often make the mistake of leaving a domain or web address on something and when you whois it you find out it's just some marketing smear and there is no real person doing anything.

Theres alot of other give-aways as well but I think a celebrity endorsement from Chuck Norris would probably result in never-ending orders.

When Chuck Norris refers a webhosting company the companies webhosting order system quits.
    James Paul Woods
    Operations Manager
    HostKitty Internet Services

Celebrity endorsement would work for sure. Danica Partick is godaddy's saving grace. And those super bowl commercials.

Paris Hilton?
    Scott - HyperBIG.com
    Unmetered Bandwidth Dedicated Servers USA Budget Dedicated Hosting ♦ ♦ 1Gbps Unmetered Dedicated Servers

Quote Originally Posted by blazenetworks View Post
    Paris Hilton?
    OMG - You'd definitely get some attention with her endorsement.
    <<Please see rules for signature setup>>