Pointing cname to cdn with WHM

I'm wondering if I got this right. I want to have my subdomain point to the cdn. I created a fresh subdomain in WHM cdn.mydomain.com and proceeded to edit the dns zone. I saw two drop down menus that were cname by default (www and mail). I wasn't sure if I was supposed to edit those or create a new entry. Well I didn't touch them, but I added a new entry:
    cdn.mydomain.com 14400 IN CNAME xxx.cdndomain.com.

My subdomain is still working fine, so I'm not sure if it's propagating. Did I miss anything?

if you want to point cdn.mydomain.com to some server, then you need to change it's DNS record to something like this:
    cdn 14400 IN A <IP address of the server>

Quote Originally Posted by Billingchamp View Post
    if you want to point cdn.mydomain.com to some server, then you need to change it's DNS record to something like this:
    cdn 14400 IN A <IP address of the server>
    How come I would use "A" instead of "CNAME"? Since that's what it told me use. I also wasn't supplied an IP address, but a subdomain address instead.

did you tried to use
    cdn 14400 IN CNAME xxx.cdndomain.com.
    instead of
    cdn.mydomain.com 14400 IN CNAME xxx.cdndomain.com.

while editing the DNS zone for mydomain.com?

I was going to try that next, but because it takes time to propagate I didn't want to change it without knowing if I'm actually right or wrong. Or should it be instant?

It will take a short while to propagate.

Billingchamp is also correct in that the format would be:

BGP GRID
    UNetLab Network Simulator Hosting
    Prepare for your CCNA/CCNP/CCIE certifications today!

Quote Originally Posted by Salsero View Post
    It will take a short while to propagate.

Billingchamp is also correct in that the format would be:

Ok tried that now, I just removed my domain and just included the subdomain address instead. Is there a way to check if you've done things correctly? I've googled that you can use nslookup, but I tried nslookup cdn.mydomain.com before and after the change, but there wasn't any difference. I guess I'll just have to wait another 2 days...

edit:
    I just noticed Billingchamp said, "while editing the DNS zone for mydomain.com?"

Oops, I've been editing the DNS zone for cdn.mydomain.com, I guess that is where I messed up? So should I be adding a new entry to mydomain.com DNS zone instead or is it the same thing?
    Last edited by ronel; 09-02-2009 at 04:30 PM.

If you've done things correctly, when you do a ping test to cdn.mydomain.com, you should get a response back from the new xxx.cdndomain.com.
    BGP GRID
    UNetLab Network Simulator Hosting
    Prepare for your CCNA/CCNP/CCIE certifications today!

I just get back the IP address of my own domain. But when I try pinging other sites' subdomain they also return their site IP address and not the subdomain of their cdn.

But I just noticed Billingchamp said, "while editing the DNS zone for mydomain.com?"

Oops, I've been editing the DNS zone for cdn.mydomain.com, I guess that is where I messed up? So should I be adding a new entry to mydomain.com DNS zone instead or is it the same thing?

Been about two days and nothing happened. Should I try to add the DNS record directly to the domain instead of the subdomain?