Hello

I have been in online business for about 5 years, but only this morning found out what DDoS is. Shame on me.

Our site was attacked this morning and the host (shared hosting) has switched off the dns connection so our site is currently down along with email. We are a small firm and we are absolutely getting killed by this right now.

The tech support in this hosting company (icdsoft com) is absolutely phenomenal based on previous experiences and here is what they said throughout the day:

"Your site gets approximately 60 hits/second. Unfortunately there isn't much that can be done in such situation. We already blocked the most active IP addresses in our firewall, but this does not help, as the attack comes from many sources "

About an hour later they tried again and the following was said:

"Unfortunately we do not know how long this attack will last. At the moment there are more than 1100 requests/second towards your site."

about an hour after that the following was said:

"The attack is still going on. Currently, the incoming rate is 8MBit/sec. We will enable your site, and we will notify you when the attack is over."

My questions are the following and I will appreciate any advise as I am absolutely clueless about this:

1. What should I do at this point? Should I move the site to a dedicated server and if so, will this solve the DDOS problem?

2. Should I purchase anti DDoS package? They are extremely expensive it appears.

3. If I move to a new dedicated host, which one should i choose? we are a small site, with about 10,000 uniques per month and do not have massive budget so cost is a big factor.

4. How long will this current attack likely last? I know it's impossible to answer, but approximately how long do these things last and is it likely to repeat in the future if we leave things alone?

Any knowledgable advice on this matter will be greatly appreciated as we are hurting badly due to this and even 1 day loss of income for us is extremely serious and hurtful.

Thank you in advance