Angry DNS Server Issues --- Can't seem to register DNS server

Sorry if this is considered cross posting, I think I psoted itn eh wrong area the first time ---

Ok, I have setup DNS servers in the past on the internet and NEVER had these issues.
    I have TWO domains at TWO different registrars that are hosted on TWO different servers. My plan was to register DNS servers for both of them, and host DNS on each server with the other domain serving as the other ones backup.

The first domain is registered with Register.com and will be referenced as mydomain1.com from here on out
    The second domain is registred with AITdomains.com and will be referenced as mydomain2.com from here on out.

I have existing DNS servers running on mydomain2.com, and those DNS servers are the authoritive DNS for about 100 domains. The problem is that the servers hosting the dns for mydomain2.com are difficult to work with (have to send emails for changes etc.) and we are moving them to something that I can control directly. I can NOT have any downtime in this transition when it comes to this set of DNS servers, my head would be presented on a platter if this happend.

I went to register.com and registered the name server ns3.domain1.com to the server that is assiciated to that domain, DNS is running and verified functional on this server.

I went to AITdomains and registered the name server ns4.domain2.com to the server that is associated to that domain, DNS is running and verified functional on that server as well.

I have one dummy .info domain that I use for testing that is hosted on domain2.com's server --- I shifted the name servers for this domain to ns3.domain1.com and ns4.domain2.com at godaddy (where this domain is registered)

Nothing is working, I can not resolve ns3.domain1.com or ns4.domain2.com, I can not dig those domains, if I do a whois ns3.domain1.com or ns4.domain2.com @internic.net I get the proper address for the servers, but I do not see it anywhere else... I registered these servers weeks ago.

If I do a nslookup in windows on the domain that I have setup on the new DNS servers this is the response:

DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
    DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.

A whois on this "dummy" domain shows the new name servers --- however like I said, nothing can seem to find them.

I am missing something, and for the life of me I can not figure out what the hell it is. If anyone has input, please let me know.

Re:

Dear nkull,

Check your firewall. If firewall is not blocking then you should take a look into your dns configuration file.

Best Regards.
    Tom F - VCA-WM, VCA-Cloud, VCA-DCV, CISSO, CPTE, OSCP, RHCE, RHCT
    Maxim Support - Hosting Solutions & Server Management
    Email : tom@maximsupport.com
    Web : http://www.maximsupport.com

Hosting provider can't do much in case of registering the nameservers.
    You have to contact your domain registrar to resolve the issue.

Thanks

looks like you need to troubleshoot some things (access to a *nix box required).

first, run this:

Code:
    dig dummydomain.info +trace
    if it shows your dns3 and dns4 nameservers then your registrar (the one responsible for dummydomain.info) has done their job.

otherwise stop here and contact them (copy and paste the result for proof .

----

next, run this:

Code:
    dig domain.com ns +trace
    if it shows something like this:

Code:
    <<snip>>
    com.                    172800  IN      NS      F.GTLD-SERVERS.NET.
    com.                    172800  IN      NS      M.GTLD-SERVERS.NET.
    ;; Received 506 bytes from 192.203.230.10#53(E.ROOT-SERVERS.NET) in 49 ms

domain.com.           172800  IN      NS      dns4.domain.com.
    domain.com.           172800  IN      NS      dns3.domain.com.
    <<snip>>
    then the other registrar has done their job (the one responsible for domain.com)

otherwise stop here and contact them (copy and paste results as proof

----

next, run this:

Code:
    dig dummydomain.com @ip.address.of.dns3.server
    if it times out or fails then you need to check the dns server to make sure all the records are correct (and that it's running).

otherwise keep going....

-----

finally, run this:

Code:
    dig dummydomain.info @dns3.domain.com
    if it times out or doesn't work then you need to add A records for dns3.domain.com into the dns servers responsible for domain.com.

----

if all of the above fails then something really strange is going on

----
    now repeat for dns4.domain.com
    RAM Host -- USA Premium & Budget Linux Hosting
    █ Featuring Powerful cPanel Shared Hosting
    █ & Premium Virtual Dedicated Servers
    Follow us on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by MaximSupport View Post
    Dear nkull,

Check your firewall. If firewall is not blocking then you should take a look into your dns configuration file.

Best Regards.
    Sorry, should have mentioned that I can from a remote machine (windows based) run a nslookup, change server to my future DNS servers, and resolve the zones that it has programed on it.

results from ns3.domain1.com

com. blah blah NS x.GTLD-SERVERS.NET.
    xxx

domain1.com ### IN NS dns###.a.register.com
    xxx

domain1.com ### IN SOA dns###.a.register.com. root.register.com. ### ### ### ### ###
    ;; Recieved 102 bytes from ___.__.___.__#53(dns###.d.register.com) in 61 ms

My name server is resolving because of an A record that I have at my registrars DNS servers pointing NS3 to my server --- If I was to switch my DNS servers to my own domain at this point, i would loose any DNS resolution to my domain, or am I missing something --- The domain1.com that I am setting up DNS services on is not terribly critical, it hosts all of my personal email but thats it --- so I could test it, I'd just rather not cause downtime right now, and downtime will NOT be an option with the other domain that has 3 active DNS servers on it now.

I may just attempt a test and switch the DNS servers for domain1.com to itself (ns3.domain1.com) and see what happens?

Quote Originally Posted by ramnet View Post
    looks like you need to troubleshoot some things (access to a *nix box required).

first, run this:

Code:
    dig dummydomain.info +trace
    if it shows your dns3 and dns4 nameservers then your registrar (the one responsible for dummydomain.info) has done their job.

otherwise stop here and contact them (copy and paste the result for proof .

----

next, run this:

Code:
    dig domain.com ns +trace
    if it shows something like this:

Code:
    <<snip>>
    com.                    172800  IN      NS      F.GTLD-SERVERS.NET.
    com.                    172800  IN      NS      M.GTLD-SERVERS.NET.
    ;; Received 506 bytes from 192.203.230.10#53(E.ROOT-SERVERS.NET) in 49 ms

domain.com.           172800  IN      NS      dns4.domain.com.
    domain.com.           172800  IN      NS      dns3.domain.com.
    <<snip>>
    then the other registrar has done their job (the one responsible for domain.com)

otherwise stop here and contact them (copy and paste results as proof

----

next, run this:

Code:
    dig dummydomain.com @ip.address.of.dns3.server
    if it times out or fails then you need to check the dns server to make sure all the records are correct (and that it's running).

otherwise keep going....

-----

finally, run this:

Code:
    dig dummydomain.info @dns3.domain.com
    if it times out or doesn't work then you need to add A records for dns3.domain.com into the dns servers responsible for domain.com.

----

if all of the above fails then something really strange is going on

----
    now repeat for dns4.domain.com

Ah, I think I see what's going on here.

As far as I can tell, your domain registrar isn't adding the NS records for dns3.domain1.com (etc) into the root DNS because you are using their nameservers (why add root NS records so you can run your own nameservers when you're using ours on that domain, right...)

Either that or you set them up wrong - you did use the "register nameserver" or similar functionality instead of just creating NS records, didn't you? those NS records need to be known to the root servers - just adding them alongside the A records won't do that.

Thus, pointing dummydomain.info fails because the nameservers it is pointed at can't be found (they aren't known by the root servers).

You've got an unusual setup there (using your registrars dns as well as trying to run nameservers in the same space - it's very possible you added the NS records in the wrong place).

of course if you could reveal the actual domains I could trace authority all over the place and give you a certain answer (and course of action), but alas...
    Follow us on Twitter

Ah, I think I see what's going on here.

As far as I can tell, your domain registrar isn't adding the NS records for dns3.domain1.com (etc) into the root DNS because you are using their nameservers (why add root NS records so you can run your own nameservers when you're using ours on that domain, right...)

Either that or you set them up wrong - you did use the "register nameserver" or similar functionality instead of just creating NS records, didn't you? those NS records need to be known to the root servers - just adding them alongside the A records won't do that.

Thus, pointing dummydomain.info fails because the nameservers it is pointed at can't be found (they aren't known by the root servers).

You've got an unusual setup there (using your registrars dns as well as trying to run nameservers in the same space - it's very possible you added the NS records in the wrong place).

of course if you could reveal the actual domains I could trace authority all over the place and give you a certain answer (and course of action), but alas...
    This is what I see --- The domain with NS3 is ns3.txrxnetworking.com --- I added a name server, using the proper methods, not a NS record --- I also talked with the registrar online and told them to verify it, they said everything is correct but I'm not seeing that same result. While I am currently using the registrars name servers on that domain, my goal is to shift those name server records somewhere else --- this is the domain that is used for personal use only and could survive downtime, although I'd like to avoid that.

The other domain currently has NS1 - NS3 up and running on one of our servers, but we are taking those servers offline at some point so I am trying to get NS4 registered (and NS5 later on) --- But I'm seeing the same issue with that domain as well, and that one is with a different registrar.

hm...again, very unusual setup.

It is most certainly not your registrars fault though.

I leave you with these 2 tests - 2 test domains - one pointed at my nameserver and one at yours:

http://freedns.afraid.org/domain/dns...o&submit=Trace

notice the "Refers backwards" error which is way over my head as to what that means.

and this is how it should look.

good luck!

- and that's all he wrote
    Follow us on Twitter

hm...again, very unusual setup.

It is most certainly not your registrars fault though.

I leave you with these 2 tests - 2 test domains - one pointed at my nameserver and one at yours:

notice the "Refers backwards" error which is way over my head as to what that means.

and this is how it should look.

good luck!

- and that's all he wrote
    First off, thank you very much for your help.

Not sure what's so unusual --- I'm trying to make the DNS server configuration pretty standard, that being

Domain name registered at registrar
    DNS server registered with above registrar
    DNS for the domain name transfered to the NEW DNS server that was registered above with the above registrar

- I do not plan on keeping the registrar name servers active

- However, i do not see a state right now that would allow me to change those DNS servers without causing downtime ---

Have you setup new DNS servers on an existing domain before that already utilizes other DNS servers? That is really all that I am doing now. I assume you don't just blindly switch and hope that things work themselves out --- which would be the only way for me to eliminate the wierdness of having other DNS servers servicing the domain (which are going away)

Might just look at a couple of unused domains that we have and set them up from scratch to be for DNS... Frustrating ...

Quote Originally Posted by nkull View Post
    First off, thank you very much for your help.

Not sure what's so unusual --- I'm trying to make the DNS server configuration pretty standard, that being

Domain name registered at registrar
    DNS server registered with above registrar
    DNS for the domain name transfered to the NEW DNS server that was registered above with the above registrar

- I do not plan on keeping the registrar name servers active

- However, i do not see a state right now that would allow me to change those DNS servers without causing downtime ---

Have you setup new DNS servers on an existing domain before that already utilizes other DNS servers? That is really all that I am doing now. I assume you don't just blindly switch and hope that things work themselves out
    actually, many people do something like this:

1) setup own dns servers to respond to dns queries.

2) run "dig domain.com @ns1.domain.com" and make sure all is good

3) run "dig domain.com @ip-address-of-ns" and make sure all is good.

4) go to registrar and switch name servers.

5) check that all works.

6) if it doesn't, switch back quickly and hope nobody notices and bang head against wall

--- which would be the only way for me to eliminate the wierdness of having other DNS servers servicing the domain (which are going away)

Might just look at a couple of unused domains that we have and set them up from scratch to be for DNS... Frustrating ...
    I would suggest this - it might work:

1) run "dig domain.com @ns1.domain.com" and make sure all is good

2) run "dig domain.com @ip-address-of-ns" and make sure all is good.

3) manually configure the nameservers for domain1.com to be BOTH your registrars nameservers and your own side-by-side.

4) run "dig domain1.com +trace" to make sure it took

5) run "dig domain1.com" until dig asks one of your nameservers for records - if all is good then remove registrars nameservers and you have successfully migrated.
    Follow us on Twitter