Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Liquidweb Loyalty

Hi

Do any of the server hosting companies reward their customers for long term loyalty?

I've been a Liquidweb customer for a couple of years (154414) and upgraded last November for $734 per month to:

---------
    Processor: Dual Xeon E5420 <b>Quad Core</b> (Harpertown)
    Memory: 8GB DDR2 PC5300
    Hd1: 3 x 73GB SCSI / Hardware Raid 5
    (+Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) 15,000 RPM)
    Hd2: 160GB 7200RPM SATA / 8MB Cache
    (+Upgrade to 500GB drive)
    RemoteBackup: 50GB Remote FTP Backup
    (+Offsite Backup)
    (+64 Bit)
    ControlPanel: CPanel / Web Host Manager
    (+ServerSecure)
    Bandwidth: 4800GB Monthly Transfer (2400 in + 2400 out)

$734 per month

---------

Since then, we've been paying $734 per month and so I recently looked at what we could now get for our money. After a lot of negotiation, Liquidweb upgraded us to bigger drives and R1soft backup for the same price...

---------
    Processor: Dual Xeon E5420 <b>Quad Core</b> (Harpertown)
    Memory: 8GB DDR2 PC5300
    Hd1: 3 x 147GB SCSI / Hardware Raid 5
    (+Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) 15,000 RPM)
    Hd2: 160GB 7200RPM SATA / 8MB Cache
    (+Upgrade to 500GB drive)
    RemoteBackup: 50GB Remote FTP Backup
    (+Offsite Backup)
    (+64 Bit)
    ControlPanel: CPanel / Web Host Manager
    (+ServerSecure)
    Bandwidth: 4800GB Monthly Transfer (2400 in + 2400 out)

100 GB Guardian Backup inc MYSQL plugin - (R1Soft)

$734 per month

---------

but they only did this after I pointed out that I could get a lot more from Gigenet at $693 per month

---------

Dual Processor Quad Core Xeon 5520 - 2.26GHz (Nehalem) - 16MB cache w/HT
    12 GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM
    Express Management
    Standard IPMI and KVM-IP Card
    Host Ping (ICMP) and TCP Service Monitoring
    NOC Response from Monitoring
    Premium BGP4 Network (FCP Optimized Routing)
    1 Gbps Public
    10,000 GB Public Bandwidth
    1 Gbps Private Network
    1 Primary IP Address
    8 Secondary IP Addresses
    RAID 5
    3x 147GB SAS 15,000 RPM - 16MB Cache
    250 GB SATAII - 7,200 rpm
    100GB (Unlimited Agents) R1Soft CDP Backup Space
    CentOS 5
    32-Bit Operating System
    cPanel 11
    APF Firewall
    Apache 2.2
    MySQL for Linux and unix
    No Setup Fee

$693 per month

---------

If I hadn't negotiated, I would still be paying $734 for the old setup, which is considerably less value than Gigenet's offer.

To make matters worse, a few days after the struggle to get a better deal from Liquidweb, they're offering the following on WHT

---------

Dual Xeon E5520 Quad Core (Gainstown)
    8GB DDR RAM
    3 x 147GB SCSI / Raid 5 SAS
    Hd2: 250GB drive
    Guardian Continuous Data Protection (+100GB Storage) (+ MySQL Plugin) (+ CPanel Plugin)
    CentOS 5 (+64 Bit)
    CPanel / Web Host Manager (+ServerSecure) (+Fantastico/XController)
    4800GB Monthly Transfer (2400 in + 2400 out)
    $0 Setup Fee
    $744 /month

---------

This a better offer than the one I had to spend days fighting for from Liquidweb, but it's still not as good as Gigenet's deal that offers more RAM, 1 Gbps etc for $50 less

It's left me wondering why Liquidweb should expect any loyalty from their customers. I realise that many businesses offer incentives to catch new accounts, but I find it very disappointing that they don't have systems in place to look after they're existing loyal customers

So I'm wondering which hosts are particularly good at looking after long term customers, when we move we'll probably be there for years

Stuart
    Last edited by WATW; 08-31-2009 at 06:15 AM.

There will always be a cheaper offer out there, but not necessarily a better one, you'll find that you need to order a new server and move over in case you want to take advantage of an offer from your current company with a lot of providers.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

Hi cristibighea,

I'm OK with having to order a new server (although my experience of Liquidweb's upgrades are far from smooth, but that's a whole other story), I'm just amazed that Liquidweb don't offer the best prices for their loyal customers...we have to search on WHT to get them. I really feel like I had to fight for scraps to get a better value upgrade, only to find that LW's offers on WHT are better than the one I got.

I've been with other hosts in the past that automatically reduce the price or upgrade the kit when you've been with a paticular configuration for more than x months, to keep it competitive...unfortunately it looks like Liquidweb's business model could be more about profits than performance

Quote Originally Posted by WATW View Post
    Hi

Do any of the server hosting companies reward their customers for long term loyalty?

Please keep in mind that at Liquid Web, we are a "month-to-month" company. Meaning that we don't tie you into long contracts and you can move your data, migrate your date, upgrade, or downgrade at any time - without penalty. If at any time you would like to renegotiate your price or reevaluate your hardware situation, just let us know and we'll be glad to work with you - at any time!
    Travis Stoliker
    Liquid Web - Dedicated Hosting with Heroic Support
    StormOnDemand - Flexible Cloud Hosting Infrastructure
    1-800-580-4985 | Twitter: @liquidweb | @StormOnDemand

Hi cristibighea,

I'm OK with having to order a new server (although my experience of Liquidweb's upgrades are far from smooth, but that's a whole other story),
    What experience are you referring to? What host or ticket number? Thank you.
    Travis Stoliker

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidWebTravis View Post
    Please keep in mind that at Liquid Web, we are a "month-to-month" company. Meaning that we don't tie you into long contracts and you can move your data, migrate your date, upgrade, or downgrade at any time - without penalty. If at any time you would like to renegotiate your price or reevaluate your hardware situation, just let us know and we'll be glad to work with you - at any time!
    I'm not sure short contracts are really the same thing as rewarding loyalty...and there are many companies that also have month by month contracts

Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't find Liquidweb's WHT offers advertised on the Liquidweb site. Do existing customers have to go to WHT to get the best deals, rather than find them on the LW webpages? Many of your competitors show the best offers as big banner ads on their sites, but they appear to be either hidden/non-existent on Liquidweb.

What experience are you referring to? What host or ticket number? Thank you.
    Numerous problems that lasted for weeks when we upgraded last November...a quick look at the tickets show one was #1399012, continuing several weeks of issues

Then the recent upgrade to larger drives and guardian backup produced more than a week of problems and support requests with the sites regularly being unavailable #1774456

Ordinarily, we don't have too many issues, but upgrades seem to trigger lots of problems

Numerous problems that lasted for weeks when we upgraded last November...a quick look at the tickets show one was #1399012, continuing several weeks of issues

Then the recent upgrade to larger drives and guardian backup produced more than a week of problems and support requests with the sites regularly being unavailable #1774456

Ordinarily, we don't have too many issues, but upgrades seem to trigger lots of problems
    Thank you for the additional information. I have had a supervisor review your tickets and they have placed a call to you and opened a new ticket. We apologize for any errors and we are willing to make it up to you. Thank you for letting me know. We will be in touch.
    Travis Stoliker

Thanks for the info Travis, but it's kind of taking the thread off track a bit as this thread is not really about me, or the problems I've had upgrading...rather it's about the problem of Liquidweb not providing the best deal for their existing customers...not just me, but all of them.

I've had a good look around the site and still can't find any of your WHT deals...why aren't these promoted to your existing customers?

Thanks for the info Travis, but it's kind of taking the thread off track a bit as this thread is not really about me, or the problems I've had upgrading...rather it's about the problem of Liquidweb not providing the best deal for their existing customers...not just me, but all of them.

I've had a good look around the site and still can't find any of your WHT deals...why aren't these promoted to your existing customers?
    The specials that we post on WHT are exclusive specials for webhostingtalk members, this is why they are not featured on our website.

Can you give me an example of a large web hosting company that gives discounts to customers w/out them asking? I'm not sure what company you are comparing us to.
    Travis Stoliker

The specials that we post on WHT are exclusive specials for webhostingtalk members, this is why they are not featured on our website.
    I realise that, and that's the issue...why don't you offer your existing loyal customers any similar exclusive specials?

Can you give me an example of a large web hosting company that gives discounts to customers w/out them asking? I'm not sure what company you are comparing us to.
    Gigenet's offers on WHT - http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hlight=gigenet

repeated on the Gigenet site for all their customers to easily find and take advantage of - http://www.gigenet.com/specials.html

Softlayer does the same

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...ight=softlayer
    http://www.softlayer.com/specials.html

and many more hosting companies level the playing field, but not Liquidweb?

Some go even further and automatially reward their customers for long term commitment, like JaguarPC:

http://www.jaguarpc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21179
    Last edited by WATW; 08-31-2009 at 04:54 PM.

I realise that, and that's the issue...why don't you offer your existing loyal customers any similar exclusive specials?

Gigenet's offers on WHT - http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hlight=gigenet

repeated on the Gigenet site for all their customers to easily find and take advantage of - http://www.gigenet.com/specials.html

Softlayer does the same

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...ight=softlayer
    http://www.softlayer.com/specials.html

and many more hosting companies level the playing field, but not Liquidweb?
    Like Travis said, their specials are unique to WHT and not posted on their website, which enables higher availability to WHT members. Why do you find yourself needing to grope about Liquid Web at every moment around every corner?

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzServers-J View Post
    Like Travis said, their specials are unique to WHT and not posted on their website, which enables higher availability to WHT members.
    So LW can't offer specials to existing customers because they don't have the availability?

So LW can't offer specials to existing customers because they don't have the availability?
    No. Companies tend to open up special promotions just to specific forums or communities to bring in new customers. There's been lots of people moaning about how they can now get more for the same price at their provider. But when you picked up your server, the hardware was just the same price as it is for the better one at the same price now.

WATW, I just read all of your posts, no matter what the post is, your bashing Liquid Web, doesn't matter what the case is.

Honestly, you joined TODAY, I won't be surprised if a moderator steps in and does something, because right now you have 0 background.

If you want to look for a new host, look for one, don't make a two separate threads about how one company sucks and you want something else, and then continue complaining that they do not do what YOU want.

It's not your company, and to be honest, if you don't like them then leave, no one is forcing you to stay.
    Not sure what to put here :-P

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzServers-J View Post
    No. Companies tend to open up special promotions just to specific forums or communities to bring in new customers. There's been lots of people moaning about how they can now get more for the same price at their provider. But when you picked up your server, the hardware was just the same price as it is for the better one at the same price now.
    So new customers are given the red carpet treatment and existing loyal customers count for nothing.

If there's lots of people moaning, that's surely a sign that there's lots of people who want a better service.

So new customers are given the red carpet treatment and existing loyal customers count for nothing.

If there's lots of people moaning, that's surely a sign that there's lots of people who want a better service.
    I'm not talking about just LiquidWeb, it's the same with every provider and no, new customers do not get the red carpet treatment. I think a provider like LiquidWeb would rather bend over backwards for an existing customer who has been with them for a while than a new customer. Although after reading this thread and the other, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't bend over backwards for you.

I completely agree and certainly don't expect LW to bend over backwards and I've already said that I'm moving and that I'm on here to look at various options for a new host.

However, I disagree that it's the same with every host. I've already posted three above who give a better discount service to their existing customers and I'm digging up many more as I search through this site

I completely agree and certainly don't expect LW to bend over backwards and I've already said that I'm moving and that I'm on here to look at various options for a new host.

However, I disagree that it's the same with every host. I've already posted three above who give a better discount service to their existing customers and I'm digging up many more as I search through this site
    I give up trying to explain to you. You could very well sign up for their WHT promotion and transfer all of your files, what's stopping you!?

The fact is, your current server was probably the same price to Liquid Web as that promotional server, as time moves on.. the hardware gets slightly cheaper for certain configurations - that's how the industry is. Over time, providers begin to offer more for less, you ordered when you (now) got less for more.

What's stopping me is that I have no intention of staying with Liquidweb.

I realise that servers get cheaper and that providers offer more for less, I just find it incredible that these offers aren't being made aware for existing customers unless they go searching on third party websites...that's surely not the best way to look after your existing customers

What's stopping me is that I have no intention of staying with Liquidweb.

I realise that servers get cheaper and that providers offer more for less, I just find it incredible that these offers aren't being made aware for existing customers unless they go searching on third party websites...that's surely not the best way to look after your existing customers
    Gigenet customers wont be aware unless they browse their site. LiquidWeb will put their own promotions on their site and then unique to WHT promotions, believe it or not, on WHT!

Why moan about loyalty about them offering you better pricing on here when you only came here to look for another host anyway!?

Good luck with your new provider, whoever you choose but I would be very surprised if you get anywhere near as good 24/7/365 support as you are getting with LW.
    Everyone is entitled to MY opinion.
    CatfishEd.com

Umm no where in that link does Softlayer has to do with this?

SoftLayer does not automatically discount your monthly price whenever they have a sale or promotion. With my few servers and my years hosting with them, they have never done in - in fact I have not seen any other company do this, regardless if it was a server company, my cable company, phone company, internet etc...

If you meant that existing Softlayer customers can take advantage of new specials, then you have a point. SL makes this very easy. In fact I do this often, whenever I find that they have a special going that is cheaper than my current monthly rate. With their 3 day cancellation window (used to be 2), you can cancel a current server, and be up and running on a better, cheaper one in less than 4 hours.

Now I don't know why you are bashing LiquidWeb. They're a great company. I have not used them for my own use personally, but I did help a friend with his server, who chose LiquidWeb as his host, and they were great. Very professional, quick and knowledgeable.
    Servers proudly hosted at... WebNX (10) - Netelligent (6)
    Also enjoying services from DreamHost, Hyperspin
    (#) indicates number of servers - 16 total

As others have stated, most if not all dedicated server providers do this. You will be constantly moving from one host to another if you keep seeking out the cheaper, better, deals.

If something works for you, then it's not the best idea to relocate just because you have a better deal.
    I choose not to use my signature for advertising.

It doesn't matter how much you claim how important your data is. If it's not backed up, it's not important.

Most providers will guarantee that their pricing is locked in and never go up. Same should apply if things drop in price. It makes Liquid Web more profitable and I think mosts hosts will be willing to negotiate your monthly bill for continued business anyways so it's not a huge issue. Granted upgrades might have minor kinks to work out but once you're done it usually is smooth sailing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast