Private Data Centers with FCC Satellite uplink/downlink connectivity?

Does anyone know of a private Data Center with Satellite uplink/downlink connectivity in addition to Fiber?

I know the government depends on them for military purposes, but I was wondering if anyone is aware of a private, FCC liscenced data center with the capability to transmite/host data via satellite in case of disasters, remoteness etc. It seems complimentary for a data center but I haven't heard of it.

Is there any market research on this? What is a good source of information to find out about how many data centers there are, how much revenue they bring in, costs, etc? What is the data center bible? Thanks guys, new to the forums and happy to be here.

Vancouver, Canada
    I don't think datacenters would use Satellite links because Satellite has pings of about 500ms which is very bad. Most datacenters have bandwidth links from multiple providers for redundancy reasons and they would work much better than satellites.

Toronto, Canada
    Got to agree with Jay here. The commercial uses of this seem limited. There are "wireless broadband" providers like Terago networks here in Canada. They are able to offer reliable point to point network connectivity that is reliable and not affected by weather.
    Can't we all just get along

Jacksonville, Florida

The structures house three large satellite antennas to provide Internet connectivity should the NAP ever lose its fiber connections.
    I remembered reading something about NOTA when we were down setting up some equipment. They do have satellite connectivity for fiber failure, but whose allowed to utilize it is anyone's guess

We actually do wireless cell links around town here and we serve some locations with 1Gbps feeds in which the latency is under 2ms on a run that is fifteen miles long, so microwave is certainly an ideal backup structure for smaller operations.
    Curtis Tyree | GoRACK Colocation | 1-888-846-7225
    Affordable Colocation - Route Optimized Network - AS19844
    24/7 On-site Support - Completely Owned/Operated Facility
    800 Water St Suite 202, Jacksonville, Fl 32204

Reston, VA

Southfield, MI
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudstr View Post
    Any building that gives you roof rights for the most part will let anyone put stuff on their roof.. granted they have the proper gear/licenses etc.

Most facilities will negotiate a use of the roof or a pad outside of the facility for this type of equipment if you are adding equipment within the data center and are able to sign a commitment agreement.

I don't think you will find many DC's with this type of equipment on stand-by just in the event that a client requires it. These type of configurations are very niche.
    Premier Dedicated and Colo Hosting Facility
    Phone: 1-866-976-HOST Fax: 248-599-7300

Dallas/FortWorth TX
    Agreed, apart from setup cost the bandwidth charges range from $3000 to $5000 for 1.5Mbps down and 512Kbps up . And in my opinion datacenters are build for the purpose of disaster protection. If data is destroyed in a Datacenter then there is no safer place.
    IPStrada When uptime counts.
    Warren Buffet: Honesty is very expensive gift do not expect it from cheap people.

I know of a few private companies where I live that have satellite communications for a backup to their leased line.
    They are using very little bandwidth though and latency is not really an issue for them as its only a backup.
    - Buying up websites, side-projects and companies - PM Me! -