How much RAM do i need?

Hi, I'm thinking about getting a VPS for one of my forum and wonder how much RAm do I need for it.

My forum is based on vbulletin+vbseo. Its not that big, so I don't need much of either space or bandwidth, but RAM. It has around 3000 members. few hundred posts/day.
    <<Please see rules for signature setup>>

I have a client with a 384MB XenServer VPS who pushes 500+GB a month. Her bandwidth is a combination of WordPress and VB.

I set her up with LiteSpeed instead of Apache, and she's not using a control panel. I've also made a slew of OS tweaks and configured mysql to cache as much as possible. Things work very well, and she's had traffic spikes of up to 20mbit/sec without issue (which is a lot for a wordpress site, IMO. She's got about 2500 vbulliten members with a few hunderd posts a day as well.

Best of luck in your quest.
    --
    I'm retired.
    Check out http://yellowfiber.net for all your needs!

I also want to have cpanel so i guess i'll need more than 512MB
    <<Please see rules for signature setup>>

Quote Originally Posted by abhost View Post
    I also want to have cpanel so i guess i'll need more than 512MB
    Cpanel if configured correctly can use around 100mb of ram so it should be fine.

If you want to use cpanel though be sure to self configure php apache mysql etc because cpanel is not the best for making those services use low resource amounts./
    Leader of the new anti sig spamming club.

vbSEO is a resource hog too just incase you didn't already know.

Yeah I would say 384 - 512 MB would be good. Remember, it's a VPS, if you need more or less you can always upgrade instantly.
    Brandon Long | https://brandonlong.me/
    Just a guy with a brain.

If you're going to be using cPanel I would say a minimum of 512MB. Simply because, as darkeden said, cpanel (when configured properly) can use as 'little' as 100mb RAM. This is still an awful lot compared to other control panels. So you're loosing between 100 and 200 mb RAM already before you've even got started.

You can do a lot of work to tweak both vBulletin and Wordpress. I myself have had a vBulletin forum, with 10k active members running on a VPS with 1GB RAM. It can run perfectly fine if managed correctly.
    WHSuite - Billing, Automation and Client Management Software.

1 gb will fine space 20 gb maybe 500gb bw
    Webgater.CoM - Cheap FullyManged Unmetered VPS , Master Reseller ,
    Reseller and Webhosting.
    Tomer A

512mb RAM should be fine for you, 1GB is overkill imho
    BotWars.io - Code the AI of your Battle Bot!

litespeed+kloxo and you're good to go with 512MB RAM
    just turn off the kloxo when you're not using it, it would free up more RAM

dynamics web will comsume memory . i think more than 512 MB RAM and prefer VPS server have SAS Harddisk .
    VPS need to config apache or use lighthttpd & limit concurrent if you don't want server load can't access .
    Mail server - Thailand web hosting provider & Mail server solutions provider
    VPS - Virtual private servers in thailand by Virtuozzo Containner