Dedicated server for CounterStrike 1.6

Hi, im wanting to get into the counterstrike 1.6 server resell business and have a few question on server specs. im looking for around 320 player slots at first should be enough and as it grows i can upgrade. that is 10 servers at 32 players. what am i needing for a server? how much bandwidth? and if you have a server for rent post it here ty.

What is your budget for said server? You do realize this will be a pricey venture yes?

For 320 slots I would recommend a Gbps post on your server and a 100Mbps dedicated line. That alone would $300 or more before you even get to the server.

You can start small, with a 100Mbps shared line, which would be much more afforable you will have to watch your transfer close though and upgrade as required to prevent lag. You'll want to try to find a network on a Level 3 backbone as from what I hear, they offer excellent service for gaming servers.

Let us know what budget you have and we can help you out more.

Moved > Game Servers.
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

ty nice to no, i better start off more smaller my budget would be around $100-$150 a month how many slots would that get me? and as i sell them ill jus upgrade. also i would be hosting the site to sell the servers thx.

I highly doubt for 320 slots he would need a 100mbit unmetered line. That's 33TB and I doubt he would use 3TB depending on mods / file downloads on the server.

Bret
    NetHosted Ltd. - UK Based Web Hosting
    Like us on Facebook!

You wouldn't be able to get anything more then a Dual Core with a $100-$150 budget as you will need a good network. You will also not be able to fit 10 servers on a Dual Core. You should also be fine with rougly 1TB to 3TB of transfer if you are going to be getting a Dual Core as you won't need anything close to a 100 m pipe.

Hope that helps you.

I do apologize, I was thinking/typing incorrectly. What I meant to say was a 100Mbps unmetered line, not dedicated. I recommended this based on the 8 - 10TB bandwidth availability and the fact that you will not be changed for bandwidth overages. This will keeps costs predictable every month. Or you could always go with a provider that offers 10TB.

Quote Originally Posted by justhebest View Post
    ty nice to no, i better start off more smaller my budget would be around $100-$150 a month how many slots would that get me? and as i sell them ill jus upgrade. also i would be hosting the site to sell the servers thx.
    yes i understand that, thats why im asking how many slots can i have for that budget?

Start off small and upgrade as you go as servers are always upgradable. Other users have made some very good comments in this thread as well. Best of luck to you!
    EQHosting - Experience the Difference
    Web Hosting - Game Servers - Ventrilo Servers - Dedicated Servers
    █ 24/7 Support - Instant Setup - 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    EQHosting.com - Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by justhebest View Post
    yes i understand that, thats why im asking how many slots can i have for that budget?
    That's a variable that's hard to account for. You have to take into consideration things like FPS, activity, mods. As you increase anyone of those variables, the resources necessary increases exponentially.

The best (and most money conscious) thing to do is start with a solid machine on a solid network, and setup a few servers. Monitor the resource usage, and see what's working best. If you think the machine can handle more, add another. Keep scaling the system until you start noticing things like registration issues, server lag, skips, etc.

Good luck
    Brian F. - Operations Manager
    Quality Shared and VPS Hosting
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004

As EQHosting recommended, start small and work your way up as needed.
    Joshua G.

Quote Originally Posted by XFactorServers View Post
    You wouldn't be able to get anything more then a Dual Core with a $100-$150 budget as you will need a good network. You will also not be able to fit 10 servers on a Dual Core. You should also be fine with rougly 1TB to 3TB of transfer if you are going to be getting a Dual Core as you won't need anything close to a 100 m pipe.

Hope that helps you.
    I've had 14-15 game servers run fine on a Dual Core CPU with 4GB RAM. I'd say 14-15 game servers on a Dual Core would be the max. A 10Mbit/s unmetered connection would seem to suffice. I remember having 14-15 game servers using approximately 3Mbit/s bandwidth and it'd peak to 5Mbit/s.

Just check hosts TOS's and AUP for extra usage fees.