Thread: RackShack BS

RackShack BS

I ordered a RS server for personal use.

I requested more ips for the server. They told me they were out of ips and that they would have to move my server to a new
    subnet to get more ips so i said fine. i gave them authorization.

24+ hours have passed, and my server is still the same way.

I mean, it should not take 24 hours to move my server to a subnet that has avail. ips.

They updated the trouble ticket with

"The server will be moved as soon as we find a subnet with enough IPs to move it to"

that's BS. It shouldn't take this long.

I don't think im being unreasonable. I want to start USING my server, but i would like more than one frickin IP for it

just needed a place to vent my frustration.

and dont even say "u get what you pay for" blah blah blah

because i have several RS servers as it is. i still like rackshack, i just think some things are BS.

i'll give them tillllll tomorrow
    if they don't change / move my server to a new subnet tomorrow, i'm probably going to just tell them to forget about it. i'll just deal with one ip.
    Last edited by clocker1996; 11-13-2002 at 04:29 PM.

heh
    surprise, surprise
    well, i it's a personal server then I guess it's safe with rackshack, but much else I wouldn't trust to their "tech" support or network.
    I won't go into the crap I've seen'em pull, but blieve me, they're #1 on the "don't even think about it" list.
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

I can understand your frustration clocker, a server i had there was on a subnet with no IP's I must admit i am suprised they have not done it within 24 hours, i have always found them most speedy with my issues. Maybe they are having a bad day with other things?

Regards,
    Ben

I just got off the phone with an ex-rackshack customer who said they were with them w/ they used to offer Cobalts w/ unlimited bandwidth and he was telling me how they sort of "tricked" him into the 400 GB contract. Interesting story.
    Devon Dunham (Owner, Sharpnet/DDoS Host)
    Advanced DDoS Mitigation and Server Management Solutions

Protecting your online infrastructure.

Est. 1998.

Ya, I've talked to individuals they've "accidentally" billed 3x for a server, after making 'em register quite a few times for the same server cuz it kept going out of stock.. uggggh

i finally got the ips. thanks patrick.

LOL Seems like rackshack will fix any and everything in a heart beat as soon as you post here. I find that quite odd.
    Devon Dunham (Owner, Sharpnet/DDoS Host)
    Advanced DDoS Mitigation and Server Management Solutions

Protecting your online infrastructure.

Est. 1998.

Originally posted by DD-SNC
    LOL Seems like rackshack will fix any and everything in a heart beat as soon as you post here. I find that quite odd.
    This was the first time it was brought to a supervisor or anyone in management's attention.

patrick,

perhaps there should be a standard way of bringing things to the attention of managers/supervisors? just a suggestion.
    * Rusko Enterprises LLC - Upgrade to 100% uptime today!
    * Premium NYC collocation and custom dedicated servers
    call 1-877-MY-RUSKO or paul [at] rusko.us

dedicated servers, collocation, load balanced and high availability clusters

http://www.rackshack.net/english/support/index.asp

Originally posted by rusko
    patrick,

perhaps there should be a standard way of bringing things to the attention of managers/supervisors? just a suggestion.

Also in the email that is sent to customers when they sign up for service included in the email is the HeadSurfer's direct email address. We gladly provide management contact info.

Thank you,

Mario R.
    Online Services Coordinator
    RackShack Customer Service Manager
    osc@ev1.net
    Last edited by MarioR; 11-13-2002 at 06:50 PM.

they do indeed give out the emails and even better they actually read and respond to them, both patrick and robert for definate.
    --
    Rich

Originally posted by DD-SNC
    any chance to have a flame at rackshack these days eh?

at least they actually do fix stuff.

Originally posted by exploiter

yeah. some people are just jealous of how successful RS has become.

it is typical for the little guys who only have one rack somewhere
    come to flame RS *cough*

note: when i started this thread, i was not trying to flame or bash rs. i was just frustrated, thats all. they are usually very fast at doing things. i just could not understand why somethign small like IPS would take so long. etc

Now that the issue is resolved, allow me to explain just a little. Our DC is very full, there is only a little space left, and we are limited as to where individual servers can be put based upon space, power, and available IPs on that section and subnet. It is actually more difficult than it sounds as we never know exactly what the IP usage will be from one segment to another. One segment might have tons of IPs available but no physical spaces on racks in that area. There must be organization to what, where, and why.... which is why it took some time.

Today there are over 9000 servers in our data center with over 8700 of those in use by our customers. Over the next 7 days, that number will rise to just over 10,500 as we take delivery of another 1000 HP servers and build 500+ Celeron based servers plus a few miscellaneous builds.

This type of ticket, as described above, would also be prioritized behind "server down" classification of tickets, restore requests, and reboot requests.

We always strive to be as fast as we can but there will be times when we are a bit slower than we would like to be.
    Robert Marsh
    Head Surfer

Originally posted by exploiter

They MAY fix stuff, but, generally they are the ones that cause the problems. This is one of those cases here. A simple request like this SHOULDN'T have to be brought to the attention of management to get things solved.

Is this the case with RackShack only? Nope, it's a classic case of company grows large, can't get skilled employees to handle problems, problems escalate to extraordinary proportions, and they end up upsetting someone.

Wanna know a good way to get publicity as a company? Upset a customer. Think about it a second.. If we're happy with a service, product, or company, we don't say anything at all for the most part about it publicly. Most don't anyways... HOWEVER, get an upset customer, that customer will go to each and every one of their friends, looking for someone who's been there, who they can tell abou their experience, and in cases like this, it turns into a session of "RS does this and this and this and this", 99% of which I believe, being an individual who deals with RS servers on a daily basis.

What most people see as flames are just the opposite, they're truth. I don't know many people that enjoy going through the hoops that you have to do to get a rackshack server (I spoke to one individual who had to go through their individual process some 3-5 times, getting billed for most ALL of those times), nor do I know many people who appreciate mysterious network downtimes. Granted it'll happen every once in a while, but the latest with them has been 1/2 hr blocks, 3 to 4 a day. That's not good for business on any end.

Have they solved these problems? I haven't spoken to anyone ordering a RS server lately, so I can't speak for the first, but we just suffered yet another "mysterious" downtime tonight. Server was up, still is, yet it couldn't be accessed in any way shape or form for a good period of time. Of course, it took 'em 20 minutes to figure out there was a ticket in there, and we've still been presented with no valid explanation as to why the server wasn't accessible (it still hasn't been rebooted, because it didn't need to be). It was assigned to a "webtech" who simply closed the ticket cuz the server was up. I'd say there's definitely still network problems there.

Originally posted by headsurfer

Our DC is very full, there is only a little space left, and we are limited as to where individual servers can be put based upon space, power, and available IPs on that section and subnet. It is actually more difficult than it sounds as we never know exactly what the IP usage will be from one segment to another. One segment might have tons of IPs available but no physical spaces on racks in that area. There must be organization to what, where, and why.... which is why it took some time.
    That definitely explains it. Makes perfect sense. I never thought about it that way. my bad

Thanks for taking the time to explain it.

Today there are over 9000 servers in our data center with over 8700 of those in use by our customers. Over the next 7 days, that number will rise to just over 10,500 as we take delivery of another 1000 HP servers and build 500+ Celeron based servers plus a few miscellaneous builds.
    Do you guys ever have garage sales?
    Dot Simple LLC
    aim: johna11en | yah: johna11en | msn: johna11en@hotmail.com | e-mail

Amen.

1000 HP servers and build 500+ Celeron ??? released for sale yet?

Now that the issue is resolved, allow me to explain just a little. Our DC is very full, there is only a little space left, and we are limited as to where individual servers can be put based upon space, power, and available IPs on that section and subnet. It is actually more difficult than it sounds as we never know exactly what the IP usage will be from one segment to another....

Today there are over 9000 servers in our data center with over 8700 of those in use by our customers. Over the next 7 days, that number will rise to just over 10,500 as we take delivery of another 1000 HP servers and build 500+ Celeron based servers plus a few miscellaneous builds......
    Headsurfer, where will you fit them all? Also, has your business plans changed now the C&W is closing 12 data centers in the US? Is RS going to try to take up the slack?
    intellec
    ....you get what you pay for and you pay for what you get....

Thought I'd share, as I had a similar experience with IP's.

I have been very impressed with rackshack, having just taken a managed client who has now got a server there.

Set up time was great, no auto-sign up but order fullfilled on the telephone and email arrived within 1 hour.. can't ask for much better than that. Server is solid, and the network I have found to be very nice after dealing with certain others of late.

This machine also only had 1 IP and at first RS said they would have to move it to another subnet, although a few hours later an email arrived explaining that that was no longer necessary and the IP's had been provided.. Great.. cpanel license would still still work then lol

Their members area and info/services provided to clients has to be among the most concise of any provider.

All in all.. in my limited experience with RS I have to say that I am impressed with their service. . for me this experience has been a very good one.. RS.. Well done and keep it up I say

Im a fan of rackshack
    thought i would add that.

We have 4 RS boxes, and the support has been fast. Also if you go into there IRC chatroom they often strive to help out with issues which are classed as "unsupported".

I think the moral of the story would be to apply for your 7 included IP's as soon as the server goes online, that way you wont be in for downtime once stuff is actually running from the box.
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.