hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Dedicated Server : Seedbox hosting help

Forum Jump

Seedbox hosting help

Reply Post New Thread In Dedicated Server Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-30-2009, 12:36 PM

Seedbox hosting help

Hi,

First of all, sorry if my english isn't that good..

My goal is to host seedbox on a dedicated server.

I want to offer a fast and reliable network connection, which means I need to find a low cost provider.

I need to rent a dedicated server with unmetered DEDICATED bandwidth at 100 Mbps. I found a place in Chicago that offers what I need for a low cost, but I am not sure if I can write it here, can I??

The server is a Core2duo 8400, 10gb ram,1x 200gb, 2x 1.5Tb HD with 100Mbps DEDICATED Bandwidth and will be holding 25 torrent boxes.

Here is the package I want to offer for my seedbox:
110GB disk space
Unlimited data transfer
Unlimited torrent
368Mb ram dedicated (burstable 1gb)
100mbps (dedicated 4mbps per seedbox, burstable 100mbps)
torrentflux-b4rt 1.0 beta2 installed
dedicated IP
ftp account
no setup fee
Cost: between 38$ and 43$ USD per month
N.B.: Public tracker are permited, but try to keep ratio no higher than 1. Seed for what you take but no more..

The host operating system will be CentOS 5.3 Final. I will be using OpenVZ to create VPS to hold each torrent box and assign limits. Each VPS with also have CentOS 5.3 installed with apache and mysql.

The point of my posting is to get some advises from you. Everything that can help me, just say it. Is it to expensive? or not? Anything I should know about OpenVZ? Is OpenVZ a good choice?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2009, 12:41 PM
Web Hosting Master

nothing is "Unlimited". you will get unmetered. look into dedicated hosting offers section

Old 08-30-2009, 01:18 PM

hi Prajyot, thank you for the fast reply!

I know that Unlimited is usually used for marketing purposes. What I meant, was more like unmetered.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2009, 01:29 PM
Web Hosting Master

if possible can you post your budget

Old 08-30-2009, 01:42 PM

My budget is between 400$ and 500$ US per month. I found at fdcservers a package with dedicated unmetered bandwidth for 399$/mo. I am going to add some more RAM and another HD. My goal is to sell really cheap seedbox, but I don't want to sell scrap

The thing I don't get is that some places are going to charge 1000$+ for dedicated unmetered 100mbps connections when other sell it for much cheaper.. why so? I've seen really good reviews for FDCservers.. what do you think?

Another thing, when you buy a seedbox that has a 100mbps connection, how many boxes are accually on that same connection.. is 25 too much? or I could have more boxes..?

Should I charges more per box to get a more expensive server with unmetered dedicated line? Will it really be better than the one I have for half the price??

Old 08-30-2009, 02:05 PM
Web Hosting Master

bandwidth costs depends upon company and network that's why there is big difference in price. FDS is good one but are you sure they allow seed boxes?
because some time user uses seedbox for warez things.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:17 PM

yes, that was the first question I asked them. Here is what they replied:

Quote:
you can run anything you like as long as your activity does not break any laws.
the 100Mbps is dedicated , you can max it out 24x7
As for warez, public FTP or public torrentbox account wont be permited. I won't be giving root access, so that might also help to avoid that kind of unlawful activities.

So you think FDC would be a good choice?

Old 08-30-2009, 02:20 PM
Junior Guru

Problems:
1. You will have one main problem. All these seedbox hosting packages are provided to host illegal files and to seed them to other people. This is illegal everywhere, but in USA, the hosting companies are very stricted against this. So if you want to do that, you will have more chance to host this for a while if you choose EU/Asia.
2. Usually when you offer VPS plans, 100Mbps dedicated for 25 clients is not that bad, but when we talk about seedboxes, if each client's average speed is less then 20Mbps, they won't choose you. There is plenty of people like you who offer this, but they are using OVH where most of the seedboxes are hosted so basicly, it's in there network. Therefore, very easy to reach 100Mbps and also, they offer 100Mbps per 5-10 client's maximum.

Advice:
1. Better choose EU(server.lu, OVH, Keyweb, LeaseWeb). That's how you won't have problems with the speed and the routing to other seedboxes and your clients will be happy. As a bonus, you might stay longer alive and not been shut down after the second month.
2. For this kind of business, go for a low-end server, because the configuration is not that important. What is important for this is the speed.

I hope, I help.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:34 PM

Hi NikolayM, thank you for your post, it sure helps!

I look into hosting my seedboxes in Europe, but I have been told that their links were slow. Is that right?

I found really good deals there, almost too good to be true. I just looked at OVH and they offer Bi Xeon Quad 8x 2.33+ GHz, 16Gb ram, 2TB HD, garantied 200mbps on 2x1gbps connections... all that for 299 euros.. do you think that would be good?

Do people hesitate on buying a seedbox when it is hosted in europe?

Old 08-30-2009, 04:28 PM
WHT Addict

You will struggle. BitTorrent is very heavy on disk i/o. 25 users on one box is going to be an absolute nightmare.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:10 PM

SeedBit, so you would recommend having 4x750gb instead of 2x1500gb? I could also partition each disk into more partitions.. that would probably help a bit! What do you think?

Old 08-30-2009, 05:43 PM
Aspiring Evangelist

SeedBit makes a good point, however if you went with 3x1.5TB disks in a RAID 5 setup I think you would be pretty good to go.

Raid 5 will allow for improved disk I/O as well as give you a backup of sorts. Should one drive fail, the other two will still function. You need 3 disks of the same size however and you will only have the capacity of two.

Example:
3 x 1.5TB = 3TB usable
3 x 500GB = 1GB usable

Additionally you can always go for RAID 0 that will give you the increased I/O performance but will not give you a fail save drive, this would be a cheaper solution if you are not concerned with backup / failsafe.

You could use two drives in a RAID 0.

If at all possible consider SCSI or SAS drives, however they will be much more pricey and smaller in size compared to SATA.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:52 PM
Aspiring Evangelist

It also appears FDC offers hardware raid 0 / 5 for a flat $150 fee, this is an option you should consider.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:59 PM
WHT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathieu166 View Post
SeedBit, so you would recommend having 4x750gb instead of 2x1500gb? I could also partition each disk into more partitions.. that would probably help a bit! What do you think?
Yes, doubling the number of drives would be a substantial improvement. I still think you'd need a RAID array or even more drives. Possibly 6 x 500GB ?

The rest of the specs are fine as BitTorrent uses very little CPU (except when hash checking which doesn't happen very often), and your users should be fine on 368MB RAM.

Be careful about the host you use due to copyright issues etc.

Last edited by SeedBit; 08-30-2009 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:08 PM

Ok thanks SeedBit!

Quote:
Be careful about the host you use due to copyright issues etc.
I know that torrents are always related to warez and stuff like that but what other seedbox host do about that? Is there anything to do about it?