Thread: DDoS Question

DDoS Question

Hi,

My host is currently under a DDoS attack, or at least I assume it is. It's been down for nearly 6 hours now and I don't expect it to be back up until 7 or 8 AM EST.

This happened two weekends ago as well. They said it was a DDoS attack so that's why I assume this one is.

I love my host. Their uptime is wonderful (besides this!) and they always have great customer service.

The thing is, is that they're UK based and small. They aren't online 24/7 and their website must be hosted on the same server, because it's down too.

Should I switch hosts? I'd hate leaving them, because I do like them and I know this isn't their fault... but if this keeps happening...

What would you do?

I would give it a little more time and wait on their response if you like them.

Although, most of us would require 24x7 support. If it were me, I'd move to a provider that I knew would respond within (at least) a couple hours. That kind of downtime is pretty bad.

DDoS attacks can't be avoided and they can cause problems even for the largest of hosting companies. On the other hand, the hosting company needs to have the resources available to work through those situations. It's simply the nature of the beast.
    FiberPeer.Com | | REAL DDoS Protection | Cloud Hosting | VPS | Dedicated Servers | High Bandwidth Hosting | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    FiberPeer DDoS Mitigation | ethProxy Upgraded! | 14-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ www.fiberpeer.com

Thank you for the quick response!

Yeah, I totally agree that I should wait and see what they say. I at least want to give them a chance.

24/7 support isn't a big one for me, until I need them.

While I wait I'll look around at some other shared hosting companies. I prefer companies that have a strict no overselling policy and are on the small side. Do you have any recommendations?

I'd recommend checking the shared hosting section. Many of the active forum users here are actual providers. Although, it is against the rules for us to promote our own services within this area.

Good luck in your search!
    FiberPeer.Com | | REAL DDoS Protection | Cloud Hosting | VPS | Dedicated Servers | High Bandwidth Hosting | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    FiberPeer DDoS Mitigation | ethProxy Upgraded! | 14-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support

This is a difficult situation considering what the host is going through is not their fault. I would personally not leave them, and instead give them a bit more time (a month or so), if it gets worse and you really depend on uptime then moving will be your only option. But even if you move you can keep a close eye on them and potentially return once it seems things have stabilized.

Quote Originally Posted by serverorigin View Post
    I'd recommend checking the shared hosting section. Many of the active forum users here are actual providers. Although, it is against the rules for us to promote our own services within this area.

Good luck in your search!
    Thank you very much for your help! I'll go have a look now.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsJustHosting View Post
    This is a difficult situation considering what the host is going through is not their fault. I would personally not leave them, and instead give them a bit more time (a month or so), if it gets worse and you really depend on uptime then moving will be your only option. But even if you move you can keep a close eye on them and potentially return once it seems things have stabilized.
    Yep, that's what I was thinking. It's not their fault, but it is hurting their customers. And with no support online at this time, it makes it even worse.

Like others have said, it’s difficult. Though depending on the nature of your site (how important it is to you or others), than you need to keep it up. So if that means switching host, it’s just what you got to do.
    bihira.com | 10+ Years of Web Hosting Experience!
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    cPanel | CloudLinux | R1Soft | Softaculous
    Find us on facebook and follow us on twitter @bihira

If they really care about you and every other costumer than give them a little more time. If that continues to happen than look for web host that is reliable.

You'll have to see how far your love for them can go. As you have also said though, this happened a few weekends ago too. If it keeps happening, if they are prone to attacks, it may be time for you to find a new host.

Make sure you think about the decision of finding a new host and take time to find one, WHT is a great resource for you to find new hosts from the offers section to the reviews on here.
    ClanDrive Hosting | The No Fuss Webhost
    Shared & Reseller * Seattle - West Coast * LiteSpeed * cPanel * Fantastico * R1Soft * &More *
    Dedicated * Seattle - West Coast * 1-Minute Monitoring *
    VPS * NY - East Coast * OpenVZ *

Thank you everyone for the help!

Still down. 17 hours and still down. No way to contact them. Grr.

Do you have any backups of your sites? If so, it might be good to move over to a new host before you loose any more traffic.

Have you tried doing a whois on their domain and calling any numbers in there?
    Shared & Reseller * Seattle - West Coast * LiteSpeed * cPanel * Fantastico * R1Soft * &More *

I believe I have backups on my one computer but they aren't very recent if I even have them anymore.

No, I have not tried that either. They're UK based so I'm not sure how much it will cost to call overseas but I'm willing to do anything at this point. Thank you for the suggestion!

My home telephone provider, to the us, only costs a few pennies per minute to the US from the UK. Although I use my Skype subscription to call the UK mostly, great value.

It might be good to get an old backup of your site up if they aren't up too soon. It seems weird that they have been under "DDOS" attack for this long though, their provider has probably null-routed it by now depending on what they have.

Who are you hosted with?

I'll have to check out what my plan says.

I'm hosted with iFuse Hosting (http://ifusehosting.com).

There's an outage thread about it here on WHT, Dan from iFuse posted earlier along, with some details about the outage and how to get in touch with them:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=886388

Thank you VERY much Sam. I am sorry I didn't search for that.

I really appreciate the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Brandt View Post
    Hi,

My host is currently under a DDoS attack, or at least I assume it is. It's been down for nearly 6 hours now and I don't expect it to be back up until 7 or 8 AM EST.

This happened two weekends ago as well. They said it was a DDoS attack so that's why I assume this one is.

I love my host. Their uptime is wonderful (besides this!) and they always have great customer service.

The thing is, is that they're UK based and small. They aren't online 24/7 and their website must be hosted on the same server, because it's down too.

Should I switch hosts? I'd hate leaving them, because I do like them and I know this isn't their fault... but if this keeps happening...

What would you do?
    I heard a lot of Ddos attack these days.
    I really don't understand how it works.
    Anyone has a full explanation about this and how to solve?

Thanks a lot

Easier to provide you a link with the information:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial-of-service_attack

To solve it, simply purchase DDoS protection from a reputable company.

your host should be able to defend off those DDoS attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by hypebeast View Post
    your host should be able to defend off those DDoS attacks.
    Small attacks... The majority of providers have little to no defense against large-scale DDoS attacks.

Always hard to leave a company you like. As many of the posters on this forum are providers I am sure more then a few have gone through DDOS's on many occations. Part of being a smaller company is knowing how to deal with those situations and to know how to take care of them as quickly as possible (or prevent them in the first place). As for support I would probebly seek a host that could atleast offer a response within a few hours.
    Last edited by Crazed-Justin; 08-31-2009 at 03:44 AM. Reason: More info