Netfirms as a host?

I am searching for a suitable host for two small non-profit websites. The sites require little storage and generate modest traffic. One constraining factor is that we would like to eliminate the use of gmail accounts and begin using domain-based emails. We only need a handful of email accounts but those accounts need to have proper spam protection and not bounce legitimate emails. I have heard some negatives on Netfirms in this regard, but I am wondering if they are true. Can anyone reccommend other hosts that are worth checking out?

Thanks

If emails are important to you, you can use online blacklist checkers to check and see if the host you're interested in has a clean IP or not. An example of such a checker is here: http://www.mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx

You will need your host's IP though, so ask them about it. Otherwise you should have little trouble finding a suitable host. Do you have a budget in mind?

Budget is up to $12/mo. We have money to spend but since we are non-profit we would like to keep it to a minimum. Shouldn't be a problem since the sites are minimalistic and have only a thousand or so hits a month. Most basic packages seem to do the trick...but I have become quite wary of offers. Seems to be quite a bit of deception in the hosting market. All I want is a reliable site that offers decent email service.

Quote Originally Posted by etk123 View Post
    Budget is up to $12/mo. We have money to spend but since we are non-profit we would like to keep it to a minimum. Shouldn't be a problem since the sites are minimalistic and have only a thousand or so hits a month. Most basic packages seem to do the trick...but I have become quite wary of offers. Seems to be quite a bit of deception in the hosting market. All I want is a reliable site that offers decent email service.
    $12/mo is quite generous, and as you said most basic plans should meet your needs. Your best bet is to check out the offers section, come up with a list of hosts you're interested in, and contact them to see if they meet your needs. I can understand that you're wary about deceptive offers, as this industry is quite often plagued by sleazy marketing practices, but most hosts on this forum are quite good, due to strict moderation and rules that filter out the more shady hosts. Good luck!

I am searching for a suitable host for two small non-profit websites. The sites require little storage and generate modest traffic.
    When you say modest traffic, We are talking about more than 1GB, Correct?

One constraining factor is that we would like to eliminate the use of gmail accounts and begin using domain-based emails.
    Easy, With your Domain and your new webhost you can create new e-mail accounts within your control panel. This would eliminate the G-mail problem.
    We only need a handful of email accounts but those accounts need to have proper spam protection and not bounce legitimate emails. I have heard some negatives on Netfirms in this regard, but I am wondering if they are true.
    Most to all webhosts with have a form of Spam Protection Enabled on the service, SpamAssasin being quite a common subjective. You should not really have many issues in regards to this and you can whitelist e-mails as you require.

Can anyone reccommend other hosts that are worth checking out?
    Depending on what features you require besides the above, I could recommend you a Shared Service but with a host of the unknown. Perhaps have a look in the Shared Hosting Offers Section here on WHT for a whole variety and doing a bit of research.

Thanks
    Good Luck!
    l Dedigeeks (Twitter) Shared Reseller Cloud VPS Since 2010
    l Leading AU Hosting Provider Multiple locations - around the globe!
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com Customer Service Rep. Superior Service Guarantee

My personal experience with Netfirms has been terrible. If you're looking for a large provider with quality services then I'd recommend Dreamhost.com or Hostgator.com.

I'd definitely avoid Netfirms at all costs.
    FiberPeer.Com | | REAL DDoS Protection | Cloud Hosting | VPS | Dedicated Servers | High Bandwidth Hosting | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    FiberPeer DDoS Mitigation | ethProxy Upgraded! | 14-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ www.fiberpeer.com

one concern I have with the mentioned hosts is overselling their servers. Everytime I see unlimited disk space or storage space it raises a red flag in my mind that these companies are overselling and that the service is going to be crap. Is this a well-founded belief or am I making up myths? Netfirms may very well be in this category, for all that I know.

I scoured some of the offers in the advertising section and came across a couple hosts that offer packages that range from 1-20 GB storage and 20-500 GB transfer. This seems reasonable (to have limits). Is this a good assumption?

When you say modest traffic, We are talking about more than 1GB, Correct?
    Yes, I estimate that monthly transfer might approach 10 GB for both sites combined.

I scoured some of the offers in the advertising section and came across a couple hosts that offer packages that range from 1-20 GB storage and 20-500 GB transfer. This seems reasonable (to have limits). Is this a good assumption?
    Depending on the prices, They seem to be oversold the same just not the same extent as using the word 'unlimited'.

Just because a host offers 'Unlimited' does not mean their service will be bad to any degree. I used Hostgator as an overseller and they were really quite good, Had not complaints. So it can depend host to host on quality and service

Yes, I estimate that monthly transfer might approach 10 GB for both sites combined.
    Definitely does not sound like you really need an overselling webhost as you would never use the resrouces allocated and their is always a limit to what they offer.

Overselling is not bad if managed correctly. Therefore, known oversellers like Dreamhost.Com/Hostgator.com and other companies still get excellent reviews.

It is really based on the company. Someone selling x amount of space and x amount of bandwidth can still oversell
    FiberPeer.Com | | REAL DDoS Protection | Cloud Hosting | VPS | Dedicated Servers | High Bandwidth Hosting | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    FiberPeer DDoS Mitigation | ethProxy Upgraded! | 14-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ www.fiberpeer.com

Quote Originally Posted by etk123 View Post
    one concern I have with the mentioned hosts is overselling their servers. Everytime I see unlimited disk space or storage space it raises a red flag in my mind that these companies are overselling and that the service is going to be crap. Is this a well-founded belief or am I making up myths? Netfirms may very well be in this category, for all that I know.
    I have used HostGator for a few months. For the price it was nice. The servers load were always under 1 and it was lightening fast; not bad considering the price you are paying.
    Brandon Long | https://brandonlong.me/
    Just a guy with a brain.

I used Netfirms for a year and didn't experience any serious technical issues. Their support department was extremely slow though (anywhere from 6 to 24 hours) and they generally refer you to an article in their knowledgebase that may or may not be helpful.

Your assumptions about unlimited plans and overselling are generally correct. If managed properly, it can be done but there are always tricky terms of service to contend with. I haven't used Hostgator in years but they do have a generally solid reputation. As far as Netfirms is concerned, while not unlimited, they might as well be with the packages they offer.

For $12 per month the playing field is completely open for you in terms of choosing a reputable host. You should be able to find one that fits all of your needs in the $4-7 per month range. I wouldn't aim much lower than that.

As for actual recommendations, take a look at Precision Effect and Hawkhost.

If you're fine with your current host, why switch? Google offers Google Apps services where you can have email, documents, chat, etc based off your domain name. If you're a registered non-profit, you can get the "Education" version of Google Apps for free: http://www.google.com/a/help/intl/en/npo/index.html They have a free version available as well.
    Hi, I'm Ron, a pleasure to meet you!

I would also stay away from Netfirms, I had a client with them when we used to offer designing services, it was a horrible experience. However they choose to stay with them, I am not sure why. I would really recommend looking elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by serverorigin View Post
    My personal experience with Netfirms has been terrible. If you're looking for a large provider with quality services then I'd recommend Dreamhost.com or Hostgator.com.

I'd definitely avoid Netfirms at all costs.
    DreamHost ? Seriously??

DreamHost is the most terrible host on earth. Go to anyone in the world but not DreamHost.

DreamHost ? Seriously??

DreamHost is the most terrible host on earth. Go to anyone in the world but not DreamHost.
    I take you had a horrible experience with Dreamhost?

This seems to be serverorigins past and personal experience with them, Not everyone has the same and as pleasent experience as others.

I would recommend using Google Apps too - you will eliminate all costs for user accounts. You can also use it with mainline e-mail applications such as Outlook, and the rest, or opt to use it's online - webmail functionality too.

We would be more than happy to do a FREE integration for you (as you are a charity), or you can opt to do it yourself!

I don't know about email performance at Netfirms, but the applications aren't exactly snappy. Plus a quite nagging FTP disconnecting issue. On the plus side, their clustering and load balancing seems to work some magic, for uptime (so far for me) is up there where it should be.