Site getting attack

i host a forum with godaddy and my forum usually gets ddos attacked it somethimes makes my forum lagg or even goes offline what should i do to preven this ? please help .

Have you contacted GoDaddy?
    l Dedigeeks Shared Wordpress Dedicated Established 2006
    l Leading AUSTRALIAN Hosting Provider Sydney & Melbourne Datacentres
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support SMS Hosting Alerts*
    l www.dedigeeks.com Managing Director Service Superstars

Yeah can't do anyting about it .

To prevent it, you must not make enemies. Typically this depends more on the type of site, and less on your direct actions.

What you're left with is the need to mitigate the effect of DDoS when it happens. You might want to look into proxy based DDoS protection which will not require you to change hosts. Unfortunately, it's unlikely to be a cheap solution.

Like ldcdc said, look for proxy based protection, or you may have to go to full fledged DDoS protected hosting. You can talk to Jon at secureservertech, I know him personally, and he may be able to help you or point you in the right direction.
    FazeWire Web Services.
    || We have provided great prices and better support since 2006. Located in Seattle, WA!
    || -----------------
    || Shared Hosting - VPS - Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Software Licenses

"You must not make enemies" -- that's not a viable solution. Attacks happen for a variety of reasons. You want to focus your resources on mitigation.

Jon at SST is definitely a great person, and knows a considerable amount about DDoS security.

Your best bet is probably to move your site from an unprotected host to a host that specializes in DDoS protection packaged with their standard hosting. This will allow them to streamline everything to you in one convenient package.

Good luck in the search!
    Matt Mahvi
    Staminus, Infrastructure DDoS Protection and Appliances
    @ 200+ Gbps global ddos mitigation network. Local or Remote. Proxy, GRE, and direct cross connects.
    @ Available in Amsterdam, New York, Los Angeles and Orange County. Anycast BGP.

I would look for a web host that has DDOS Protection or if you own a dedicated server you can look for a software firewall to help protect on some DDos attacks or a hardware firewall to better your protection. A tech within GigeWeb told me about this service: http://www.blockdos.net/ a lot of paid-to sites use their services as they are hit with DDos attacks 24x7. Just an option.

Attacks happen for the fun of it half the time. I would look for a litespeed host.

Quote Originally Posted by GigeWeb View Post
    I would look for a web host that has DDOS Protection or if you own a dedicated server you can look for a software firewall to help protect on some DDos attacks or a hardware firewall to better your protection..
    You can't do that on a shared account. Nor would you want to on port 80. Get real

Judging from past experience and posts, its not certain that the OP has correctly diagnosed his problem.
    Last edited by Collabora; 08-29-2009 at 10:01 PM.
    Collabora Hosting - Unlimited Windows and Linux Hosting
    Web Security - VPS - Dedicated Servers
    Cloud and Managed WordPress Hosting
    Read how we do Unlimited Hosting at the Unlimited FAQ

Attacks happen for the fun of it half the time. I would look for a litespeed host.
    LiteSpeed will hold off an attack to a degree, Though it is not a prevention. Perhaps a host that actually deals with DDos Solutions would be a better alternative.
    l Dedigeeks Shared Wordpress Dedicated Established 2006
    l Leading AUSTRALIAN Hosting Provider Sydney & Melbourne Datacentres
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support SMS Hosting Alerts*
    l www.dedigeeks.com Managing Director Service Superstars

Are you sure it's actually a "DDOS" attack? What has the host said?

I know GoDaddy has a tendancy to cut off an account if X amount of people have connections to the account.
    ClanDrive Hosting | The No Fuss Webhost
    Shared & Reseller * Seattle - West Coast * LiteSpeed * cPanel * Fantastico * R1Soft * &More *
    Dedicated * Seattle - West Coast * 1-Minute Monitoring *
    VPS * NY - East Coast * OpenVZ *

Quote Originally Posted by Collabora View Post
    You can't do that on a shared account. Nor would you want to on port 80. Get real

Judging from past experience and posts, its not certain that the OP has correctly diagnosed his problem.
    I do believe I said a software/hardware for a dedicated server or look for a new host that provides DDos protection.

You really think taking this guy from a shared account hosting a forum to a dedicated server and firewall a viable solution? (Technically, I get you. But c'mon)
    Collabora Hosting - Unlimited Windows and Linux Hosting
    Web Security - VPS - Dedicated Servers
    Cloud and Managed WordPress Hosting
    Read how we do Unlimited Hosting at the Unlimited FAQ

There are several available solutions for DDoS protection. Many of those options can be terribly expensive. I'd recommend doing some research before making a purchase. I'd also recommend speaking with potential providers and asking what they offer/guarantee. Whether they have an SLA? etc?

Best of luck in your search!
    PeakVPN.Com | Complete Privacy VPN | Cloud Hosting | Guaranteed Security | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    PeakVPN | 31 VPN Servers | 17-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ PeakVPN.Com (Coming SOON) | ASN: 3915