looking for cheap VPS for CPU-intensive site

Hello
    I run a non-profit music website which gets a lot of traffic. I've already been on 3 hosts over the last few years but it seems like every host I try eventually tells me that we are too CPU-intensive and asks me to move to a VPS or dedicated server. Unfortunately, since it is a non-profit site, I can't really afford the prices I see advertised and I was wondering if somebody can recommend a reliable but cheap VPS provider where CPU usage won't be a problem.

I was also considering getting a static IP and getting my own machine at home, but I wouldn't know where to start from with that.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

VPS CPU resources are shared, if you are using a lot of CPU usage on a shared hosting environment then most likely your CPU consumption will affect other VPS clients.

If you are using that much CPU then you should get a dedicated server. If you can't afford it, then you may want to get donations to fund it.
    www.DMEHosting.com - DME Hosting LLC | Servers, KVM/OpenVZ VPS's, Email Hosting, Web Hosting

looking for cheap VPS for CPU-intensive site
    The two requirements don't go well together. You need a managed VPS anyway, and they're on the expensive side by default.

What is your exact budget for this and what sort of usage levels are we talking about (data transfer, space, simultaneous users visiting the site)?

What's your budget and requirements (disk space, bandwidth, OS, control panel, etc)?
    -Joe @ Secure Dragon LLC.
    + OpenVZ Powered by Wyvern | KVM | cPanel Hosting | Backup VPSs | LowEndBoxes | DDOS Protection
    + Florida | Colorado | Illinois | California | Oregon | Georgia | New Jersey | Arizona | Texas

What sort of RAM usage do you have? Try getting something with dedicated CPU.
    Ekin Ersoy
    Stagnom Servers | Europe Dedicated Servers with Redefined Support
    Follow us on Twitter: @StagnomUK | Like us on Facebook: facebook.com/Stagnom

for that You will need high Ram and good CPU

good luck
    Webgater.CoM - Cheap FullyManged Unmetered VPS , Master Reseller ,
    Reseller and Webhosting.
    Tomer A

Seems like many forgotten the most important factor, the budget.
    LIMENEX WEB HOSTING
    Affordable High Performance Web Hosting in United States & United Kingdom
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Managed VPS | Managed Dedicated Servers | Cheap SSL Certificates

you should look for vps powered by Xen, Linux-KVM and similar technologies. there you get dedicated cpu core or frequency, and you'll be fine.

avoid "cpu fair-share" and similar offers, because with these most likely you wil have problem (as you already had) about cpu usage.
    Last edited by xtrac568; 08-29-2009 at 10:22 AM.

Maybe you could use the top command to try to isolate what is the application is taking so much CPU resources.

I don't know the platform you use, but sometimes, bad written php scripts (cms included) create high load.

Your hosting provider may help you to do some tuning or help you isolate the problematic aplication.

Quote Originally Posted by marcnyc View Post
    Hello
    I run a non-profit music website which gets a lot of traffic. I've already been on 3 hosts over the last few years but it seems like every host I try eventually tells me that we are too CPU-intensive and asks me to move to a VPS or dedicated server. Unfortunately, since it is a non-profit site, I can't really afford the prices I see advertised and I was wondering if somebody can recommend a reliable but cheap VPS provider where CPU usage won't be a problem.

I was also considering getting a static IP and getting my own machine at home, but I wouldn't know where to start from with that.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

I am sure that part of the problem is bad coding but recording the entire thing is really impossible at this point.
    I wish I could tell you more about data transfer but I can only tell you what cpanel tells me, which is this:
    space usage: 4G
    monthly bandwidth: 20Gb
    Server Load 3.69 (16 cpus)
    Memory Used 27.1 %
    Swap Used 0 %

Awstats says:

Viewed traffic
    Unique visitors 16624
    Number of visits 27105 (1.63 visits/visitor)
    Pages 136966 (5.05 Pages/Visit)
    Hits 583854 (21.54 Hits/Visit)
    Bandwidth 6.22 GB (240.54 KB/Visit)

Not viewed traffic *
    Pages 363912
    Hits 382860
    Bandwidth 13.30 GB

Month Unique Visits Pages Hits Bandwidth
    Jan 2009 28842 47165 220947 1233173 13.73 GB
    Feb 2009 27019 51586 241517 1238012 14.39 GB
    Mar 2009 29490 47766 291323 1408583 17.80 GB
    Apr 2009 26772 44566 233521 1272758 14.63 GB
    May 2009 26398 40003 249567 1287442 14.37 GB
    Jun 2009 18113 28546 245545 972746 12.80 GB
    Jul 2009 18822 31654 220765 891899 11.68 GB

This is what I know.

As far as my requirements go, I really only need CPanel, php, mysql, about 5-10Gb of space and to be safe 30-50Gb of bandwidth.
    The budget is virtually none, in the sense that it is all out of my pocket because it is a non-for-profit website. Right now I am paying $10/month and I'd be willing to pay twice as much but I doubt that this will get me the dedicated server that you all think I would need.

What are my options?

Is that server load from just your current VPS?

I am currently on a shared host, not a VPS...
    that number is just what Cpanel tells me, I am guessing it's of the machine on which I am

I am currently on a shared host, not a VPS...
    that number is just what Cpanel tells me, I am guessing it's of the machine on which I am
    Thats a bit different then, any VPS thats not oversold with a good amount of RAM (384MB-512MB) should suffice for your needs.
    Ekin Ersoy
    Stagnom Servers | Europe Dedicated Servers with Redefined Support
    Follow us on Twitter: @StagnomUK | Like us on Facebook: facebook.com/Stagnom

3.69 is an ok load average for a 16 CPU server... how much traffic are you getting?

He said he's doing about 20 gigs/mo but would like up to 50 to provide for growth.
    --
    I'm retired.
    Check out http://yellowfiber.net for all your needs!

It's most probably bad coding of your script. Your disk space/bandwidth requirements are pretty low.

Are you doing music encoding? This might be a cause of your CPU load. Otherwise, it's almost definitely bad coding.
    Fraud Record - Stop Fraud Clients, Report Abusive Customers.
    █ Combine your efforts to fight misbehaving clients.

HarzemDesign - Highest quality, well designed and carefully coded hosting designs. Not cheap though.
    █ Large and awesome portfolio, just visit and see!

I posted the traffic stats from awstats, nenolod, did you not see them?

I think you should get your current host to provide more details on what they think is using to much cpu, nenolod I believe is correct in that I have always been taught load per processor below 1.0 added up is perfectly fine. From the sounds of it I can't see a reason why you would need to have a VPS.

Depending on the server setup, a significant portion of the load caused by this user on the shared server could be due to the IO wait associated with reading the audio files.

This is just a thought - would depend on the server itself, the number of hits the server gets, the number of hits this users account gets, etc etc. I'm definitely not saying that is the reason he's been asked to upgrade, but it could be part of whats "loading" the server.
    --
    I'm retired.
    Check out http://yellowfiber.net for all your needs!

I think you have bad coding or a leak in the script like someone else said....

You could try contacting mike from mddhosting and see if your site would run on his semi dedicated plan which is just shared with more resources available to you.
    Leader of the new anti sig spamming club.

Just to clarify, there is no audio on my website, just text... it's a music site but it just has reviews, interviews, news etc... no audio

I think you put up some Ads, From adsense or other things like it to make some extra money

Quote Originally Posted by BenOwns View Post
    I think you put up some Ads, From adsense or other things like it to make some extra money
    Yes I did, but does that have to do with anything?
    If you are implying that we are not a non-profit because I have ads you are mistaken. I never made money with ads and if I did make money I would pay for the server cost and would just try to break even, which right now I don't

i was saying it as a suggestion, please do not make accusations.

I wasn't making accusations, I just wasn't sure what you meant by that. I thought you saw that we do have ads, we just don't make any money from them, but that's another story

I wasn't making accusations, I just wasn't sure what you meant by that. I thought you saw that we do have ads, we just don't make any money from them, but that's another story
    He meant:

I recommend you put up some Ads, From adsense or other things like it to make some extra money

Internet is a difficult place to convey certain meanings.
    Fraud Record - Stop Fraud Clients, Report Abusive Customers.
    █ Combine your efforts to fight misbehaving clients.

HarzemDesign - Highest quality, well designed and carefully coded hosting designs. Not cheap though.
    █ Large and awesome portfolio, just visit and see!

Perhaps a Xen based VPS might be a better option, perhaps linode.com, they provide some high quality Xen based VPS'.

Just to clarify, there is no audio on my website, just text... it's a music site but it just has reviews, interviews, news etc... no audio
    If your site a static HTML site or with dynamic PHP content?
    Are you using any CMS and any plugins/extensions/modules?
    Aspiration Hosting [US UK SG AU] - Cloud Web Hosting | Managed Cloud Server
    LiteMage / LiteSpeed Cache for Magento, WordPress, Joomla, Drupal & XenForo

Web Development Support Unmetered Bandwidth Aspiration CDN Magento Optimized

A bit over 6 gigs usage and you're even a blip on their radar? Something is definitely wrong here, there's no way a site doing 6 gigs of traffic should be in any way cpu intense on any kind of server. I'd spend some time debugging my site and figuring out what's wrong, because there's got to be something wrong to make a 6 gig in bw site hit a cpu hard.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

This idea is worth a try.

Contact a few VPS providers and see if they would be willing to take advertisement as payment. Seems like your bringing alot of visitors so maybe you can use that to your advantage. Assuming your not just bringing the same visitors every day this may work out for you. From a company stand point if you combined this with a small monthly payment ($20.00 you said was your max budget) it looks like a decent deal for both the company and you.

JcLusso
    OpticGrid Networks - Fast . Reliable . Affordable - OpticGrid.com
    Email: [email protected] | Toll-Free: 1-888-993-8338

Quote Originally Posted by JcLusso View Post
    This idea is worth a try.

Contact a few VPS providers and see if they would be willing to take advertisement as payment. Seems like your bringing alot of visitors so maybe you can use that to your advantage. Assuming your not just bringing the same visitors every day this may work out for you. From a company stand point if you combined this with a small monthly payment ($20.00 you said was your max budget) it looks like a decent deal for both the company and you.

JcLusso
    That's actually a really amazing idea I had not thought of! I should try that.
    The only thing is that I don't many any money from my ads so I don't see how they would make money from theirs.

I wanted to report however that I had the original coder take a look and he found a problem in the database that he fixed and now things seem better. I am test-running the script live and let my host know about it so they can monitor the CPU. It's been back up for two days and so far they said it was smooth sailing so I might not have to look for another host after all, which would be a relief...

That's actually a really amazing idea I had not thought of! I should try that.
    The only thing is that I don't many any money from my ads so I don't see how they would make money from theirs.

I wanted to report however that I had the original coder take a look and he found a problem in the database that he fixed and now things seem better. I am test-running the script live and let my host know about it so they can monitor the CPU. It's been back up for two days and so far they said it was smooth sailing so I might not have to look for another host after all, which would be a relief...
    You should be able to cache most of that content.

I do... I implemented some basic caching:
    PHP Code:
    <?php
    // this section starts the caching
    $reqfilename basename($_SERVER['PHP_SELF']);
    $reqpath str_replace($reqfilename,'',$_SERVER['PHP_SELF']);
    $reqpath str_replace('/','',$reqpath);
    $chaindlk_cachefile $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/cache_chaindlk/'.$reqpath.'_'.basename($_SERVER['PHP_SELF']).'-'.$_SERVER['QUERY_STRING'].'.html';
    $chaindlk_cachetime 60// 5 minutes
    // Serve from the cache if it is the same age or younger than the last modification time of the included file (includes/$reqfilename)
    if (file_exists($chaindlk_cachefile) && ( filemtime($reqfilename) < filemtime($chaindlk_cachefile)) ) {
    // Serve from the cache if it is younger than $cachetime

if ( !eregi('/admin',$_SERVER['PHP_SELF']) && !eregi('/community',$_SERVER['PHP_SELF']) && file_exists($chaindlk_cachefile) && ( ( time() - $chaindlk_cachetime ) < filemtime($chaindlk_cachefile)) ) {
           include(
    $chaindlk_cachefile);
           echo 
    "<!-- Cached ".date('H:i'filemtime($chaindlk_cachefile))." -->";
           exit;
      }
    }
    // start the output buffer
    ob_start();

//content here

<?php
    // this is the end part of the caching process started in the globals.php file
    // open the cache file for writing
    $fp fopen($chaindlk_cachefile'w');
    // save the contents of output buffer to the file
    fwrite($fpob_get_contents());
    // close the file
    fclose($fp);
    // Send the output to the browser
    ob_end_flush();
    ?>
    <?php
    }
    ?>