Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    after reading aquarius' comment and doing a little bit of research myself... it seems like it might be better for me to pay monthly until i am comfortable with a provider. (so if i was to use hostgator, probably the hatchling plan)

aquarius, what are some smaller one you would recommend? that are within the $5-8 budget.

after reading your comment earlier about unlimited companies. it does make a lot of sense.... and most of these more well known companies are all promising the same thing. unlimited disk space, bandwidth... etc etc. i also read a few threads about this on the forum just now.

Paying monthly for at least 3 - 4 months is usually best advised, sometimes as long as six months before you choose to take the plunge.

ihubnet seems like a very reasonable one. check it out guys.
    it's in california which is on the opposite coast. should it matter? or it only makes a significant difference when it's in a different country.

anyway, take a look... let me know what you guys think

For your needs, where they are located won't really matter. Especially if they are in North America.

They don't seem to be using the prepaid marketing gimmick, so their prices are their true monthly price, so looks like $5.95 can get you started, which is a fair price.

I know nothing of them specificly, however I am very sure they are an active member here on WHT as well, so you should have a pretty good experience with them. Perhaps someone here with more experience with them will chime in, perhaps even them, themselves.

When you do finally choose a provider, pop back here and let us know who / how they've been for you so we can help others a little better in the future.

Namecheap.com is better than Yahoo Webhosting

Hi,

I left Yahoo Webhosting for Namecheap

Namecheap does not have misleading advertising, so there is no surprise fees or fine print. Thei platform is easy to navigate and it is not bombarded with ads like godaddy.com is. Their site loads fast. They have an option to set up a forum on your site automatically as well as other software - Drupal, Surveys, Feedback forms, etc. Many other sites have this too by the way. I have basic hosting package - $70 for two years. My main website loads up fast, but the forum can be slow at times. I am still happy though.

There are many web hosts that rip people off - don't release your domain when you transfer it, don't let you cancel the service, or make your website very slow. Yahoo was easy to cancel, but I had to type in "cancel yahoo webhosting" and find their Help article on how to do it. I never used but I read on the forums that 1and1.com is slow and heard complaints that it charges people, godaddy might be slow, and veio or verio not also has charging complaints.

My website if rcgearing dot com if you are curious how Basic Namecheap Hosting works. I too live in Boston, MA and if you need, I can host you as a subdomain.

So, I use Namecheap dot com and their support is very fast. You can get fast answers from their support staff on their forum or send a Tech Support Email. They are located close to Boston (New Jersey I think).

I highly recommend namecheap! as their philosophy - little marketing, almost no false advertising or fine print, and a you get what you pay for attitude is a breath of fresh air to me.
    Last edited by rcgearing; 08-30-2009 at 01:46 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12