Anyone know a good web host? (boston,ma)

Hi guys,

I'm an aspiring web designer looking for a good web host. I'm basically just going to use it as a way to show off my work and use it to practice designing and a little bit of coding in the future, such as javascript, php, and some flash.

This is my first time dealing with web hosts, so i would like to find a good one to do business with in the future. does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, which company is best for getting your own domain name?

-kind regards,
    mike

There are a lot of great web hosts out there, many of them on this forum. It would help to know how much disk space and bandwidth you will be using, what your budget is etc... but it sounds like a basic shared package located in the US will suit your needs. I recommend you purchase your domain name and hosting separately, as it will give you more flexibility in the future should you decide to switch hosting companies. Some good domain name places are Namecheap, Dynadot, GoDaddy, and Enom among others.

welcome to the webmaster world

as for domains I'd recommend getting the domain from godaddy.com or namecheap.com - I use both and they are both great. either one is good - godaddy has cheaper .com domains

as for host, do you have any idea of how much space you may be using? if it's just a few gigs then any host would be fine for you. you should also take a look at the offers section here, tons of hosts to look at.

Hello Mike,

Do you have a type of budget in mind? I don't imagine you will require a large amount of space or bandwidth at the beginning so a majority of hosts should have very affordable options available to you. It you get a hosting package with 30 - 50GB of bandwidth a month, you should be set for quite a while.

I recommend getting a domain at GoDaddy as they are cheaper than most hosting companies can offer you, and you have full control of your domain should you need to alter anything or change hosts in the future it is much less hassle that way. Also Go Daddy always had tons of promo's going on and you can great deals on new and re-newing domain names.

Since you are a designer, there is something you should keep an eye out for. Some companies will offer you free hosting for needs such as yours, and work a deal with you to provide hosting to your future / potential clients. We do this on a regular basis and it's proved to be beneficial to both parties. So this is an option you may want to watch out for as well. They generally do not advertise this, so it is worth contacting hosts that you are interested in and see what they may do for you.

**********.com seems to have pretty good offers... most of hte things like add-on domains, disk space, data transfer are all unlimited. and it's the same price as all the other web hosts..

does anyone have any experience with this one?

I would recommend typing "godaddy" into google, and clicking on their sponsored link, where you get domains for "$6.99/yearly"

A Nice tip when looking for fast cheap domains

I'm not sure if you can advertise in these forums note the asteriks, how much are they charging?

can i just mention the name without the www and .com ?

Quote Originally Posted by glober View Post
    **********.com seems to have pretty good offers... most of hte things like add-on domains, disk space, data transfer are all unlimited. and it's the same price as all the other web hosts..

does anyone have any experience with this one?
    If they have asterisks ****** they've been purposely censored / banned from WHT for a particular reason, that isn't a good sign.

You can try

If you really want to know, try spa cing o u t the name and we can help you out maybe. Also consider searching WHT for the name, you may discover why they are censored.

i was looking at dreamhos t, hostgato r, and 000webhos t

dream is a bit higher in terms of price but has unlimited everything and supports tons of stuff.. gator doesn't support a lot.... and 000 seems to have a lot of stuff as well for decent price....

so was wondering if anyone know anything about them? or have any other ones i could check out.

DreamHost and HostGator aren't censored, they are well known here. Dream host as well as host gator have a lot of ups and downs and various reviews.

I would recommend Host Gator to you over Dream Host simply because Host Gator does offer a pretty good service and I've heard more good than bad. Dream Host has gone the way of a very discounted provider and has become a less than optimum provider lately.

The only catch with HostGator is to get their cheap advertised price, you have to fork out a yearly payment. You can do monthly, but it will cost more. For your needs, you should be quite happy at HG.

(EG: The hatchling plan is $8.95 + $5 setup fee a month, or $6.95 prepaid yearly, $4.95 Prepaid bi-annually).
    Last edited by CoishAssociates; 08-28-2009 at 11:03 PM.

but dream's is 8.95 a month though. they dont seem to be discounting at all. while hostgator has tons of Xs showing that they dont offer a lot of things :\

i did hear good reviews about gator though. about it being very fast and all.

I should probably mention, DreamHost is the same:

"$10.95/mo monthly, $0.00 off first payment; $9.95/mo for 1 year, $0.00 off first payment; $8.95/mo for 2 years, $0.00 off first payment; $49.95 set up fee if you pay monthly."

Being new to the web hosting world, make sure you choose someone with excellent support, you will want to test their support responce time and the quality of the answers you are receiving. (is this a canned open ended responce, or does it feel like a personal message back) Your requirements are pretty basic, there are tons of hosts out there, my suggestion is using someone smaller, that can give you more time of day. Larger hosts just cannot give the support a new hoster needs! Good luck!
    The Web Hosting Network
    Innovative Hosting Solutions Personal Support & Sales
    Superior Web Site Hosting Since 1999

HostGator is recommended as a better "unlimited" provider, certainly, and most people do prefer them over other such providers. Again you should be quite happy at HostGator.

For more reviews / info, search their names here on WHT and that may provider more info for you to better decide.

isn't hostgator 4.95 a month comapre to dreamhost?

Which Host Gator plan are you looking at?

DreamHost has one plan for all, their pricing from their site says:
    "$10.95/mo monthly, $0.00 off first payment; $9.95/mo for 1 year, $0.00 off first payment; $8.95/mo for 2 years, $0.00 off first payment; $49.95 set up fee if you pay monthly."

Reference: Bottom of the page:
    http://dreamhost.com/hosting.html

HostGators "Hatchling" Plan is:
    $8.95 + $5 setup fee a month, or $6.95 prepaid yearly upfront, to get the $4.95 monthly fee, you must prepay two years in advance (bi-annually).

REFERENCE: Begin the checkout process for the Hatchling plan
    https://secure.hostgator.com/~billin...ackage&submit=

Looking at your other option ********** which forwards to Hosting24.com

Their monthly plan is $7.84 a Month, so it is the cheapest of the three if you want to pay yearly. I cannot give any feedback on them however because I have had no experience with them, nor seen any reviews.

Also the fact that typing 0 00web host. com is censored out on here, it would seem to be a bad choice. Which is probably why they now forward to a new company name Hosting24.com

ah yes, you're right. i just saw the 4.95 and assumed that was it.
    i could really go for either hatchling or baby under hostgator... for a 1 year deal.

i might sign up for the baby deal since it allows multiple domains to be signed on this one web host account. so that's a great benefit over the hatchling plan.

why is 000 so cheap though? people told me to stay away from the free web hosting sites 'cuz they are bad? is it because most of them will force ads on you? and what's this thing about shared hosting?

Looking at the hosting providers you mentioned, It seems as if you just found those on the "top 10" hosting review sites (which are bogus as 99% of them are affiliate based so they cannot be trusted) and put together your list. Have you considered looking at providers with good reviews instead of providers with the "top" spot on awards they created or how well they scored on these top 10 sites? I'd say a budget of $5-8$ per month will easily get you a reliable shared hosting provider that is capable of providing you hosting for what you are trying to accomplish. All I am saying is maybe you should consider broadening your search.

Another thing: I'd recommend not starting off with a provider on a year long package. If you do, you have just possibly sealed yourself into a terrible provider where your website may be down 50% of the time for a year. If that scares you... well it should. I'd HIGHLY recommend going with a provider and paying monthly until they prove their self to you.

I'd recommend registering your domain at godaddy.com as I've had good experiences with them for domains.

Avoid hosting providers which are insanely cheap/free. These providers will either force adds on you, overload their servers, or take some other cost cutting measure to not offer you the best service possible. Seriously, most reliable hosting around here for small sites start at around 5$-8$/per month for a fair amount of resources. Avoid to cheap, avoid free, and avoid any provider promising you the world for 5$-8$/per month as well. A provider cannot provide you with unlimited space/bandwidth as that does not exist. Be reasonable about your resources. Say between 1-3GB of space and 20-60GB of bandwidth for the given budget.
    Last edited by AquariusStorage; 08-28-2009 at 11:23 PM.

makes sense aquarius. the providers i listed were just from word of mouth basically... i did researched a little myself as well and hostgator seemed like a decent one.

what are some that you like? with good reviews?

The Baby plan is $9.95 a Month if you pre-pay a year. If that's cool with you and you think HostGator is the place for you, by all means go for it.

Remember though, there are smaller more customer service oriented hosts out there that will give you all you need and more for less than $9.95 as Aquarius has mentioned above.

000 is $7+ a month, so they aren't that much cheaper, and they are that cheap because they feel that is what thier particular market is, and covers their costs etc.

People say stay away from a free host because they usually use non-user freindly control panels, are slow, load 800 or more clients per server and have the tendency to be unsecure because of the spammers they attract. Some force ads on your sites, others are P2H (Post 2 Host) where you must post X number of posts a month or week for free hosting.

after reading aquarius' comment and doing a little bit of research myself... it seems like it might be better for me to pay monthly until i am comfortable with a provider. (so if i was to use hostgator, probably the hatchling plan)

aquarius, what are some smaller one you would recommend? that are within the $5-8 budget.

after reading your comment earlier about unlimited companies. it does make a lot of sense.... and most of these more well known companies are all promising the same thing. unlimited disk space, bandwidth... etc etc. i also read a few threads about this on the forum just now.

Paying monthly for at least 3 - 4 months is usually best advised, sometimes as long as six months before you choose to take the plunge.

ihubnet seems like a very reasonable one. check it out guys.
    it's in california which is on the opposite coast. should it matter? or it only makes a significant difference when it's in a different country.

anyway, take a look... let me know what you guys think

For your needs, where they are located won't really matter. Especially if they are in North America.

They don't seem to be using the prepaid marketing gimmick, so their prices are their true monthly price, so looks like $5.95 can get you started, which is a fair price.

I know nothing of them specificly, however I am very sure they are an active member here on WHT as well, so you should have a pretty good experience with them. Perhaps someone here with more experience with them will chime in, perhaps even them, themselves.

When you do finally choose a provider, pop back here and let us know who / how they've been for you so we can help others a little better in the future.

Namecheap.com is better than Yahoo Webhosting

Hi,

I left Yahoo Webhosting for Namecheap

Namecheap does not have misleading advertising, so there is no surprise fees or fine print. Thei platform is easy to navigate and it is not bombarded with ads like godaddy.com is. Their site loads fast. They have an option to set up a forum on your site automatically as well as other software - Drupal, Surveys, Feedback forms, etc. Many other sites have this too by the way. I have basic hosting package - $70 for two years. My main website loads up fast, but the forum can be slow at times. I am still happy though.

There are many web hosts that rip people off - don't release your domain when you transfer it, don't let you cancel the service, or make your website very slow. Yahoo was easy to cancel, but I had to type in "cancel yahoo webhosting" and find their Help article on how to do it. I never used but I read on the forums that 1and1.com is slow and heard complaints that it charges people, godaddy might be slow, and veio or verio not also has charging complaints.

My website if rcgearing dot com if you are curious how Basic Namecheap Hosting works. I too live in Boston, MA and if you need, I can host you as a subdomain.

So, I use Namecheap dot com and their support is very fast. You can get fast answers from their support staff on their forum or send a Tech Support Email. They are located close to Boston (New Jersey I think).

I highly recommend namecheap! as their philosophy - little marketing, almost no false advertising or fine print, and a you get what you pay for attitude is a breath of fresh air to me.
    Last edited by rcgearing; 08-30-2009 at 01:46 AM.