VMware ESX virtualization - How have you used it?

Has anyone used a VMware ESX virtualization solution for providing VoIP services? How about as an alternative disaster recovery solution?

I'm looking for real examples of VMware ESX virtualization as a creative solution. How have you used it?

VMware ESX free software ? i think VMware free version install only 2 Core only and no live migration control for protect disaster recovery solutions ? i think you try 2 brand VMware & Xen Server ( support 4 core and live migration )
    Mail server - Thailand web hosting provider & Mail server solutions provider
    VPS - Virtual private servers in thailand by Virtuozzo Containner

We setup a voip service based on asterisk on the vmware esx platform.
    The performance is not bad and it's quite easy with vmotion to recover the vm on a disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by C7mike View Post
    Has anyone used a VMware ESX virtualization solution for providing VoIP services? How about as an alternative disaster recovery solution?

I'm looking for real examples of VMware ESX virtualization as a creative solution. How have you used it?
    Used it once, hated it to be honest.

We are 100% VMware ESX Servers.

Here is the perfect example of why VMware Cluster is the best.

This morning I noticed aborts and some other errors in the logs on one of our SAN's for a specific LUN. There where about 10 VPS Servers running on that LUN, I mean the OS of theese VPS Servers!

Now you would think ok you need to copy those servers off that SAN LUN over to a new LUN then power them back on!!

Well Actualy I didn't even have to power them off....
    I just hi-lighted the 10 VPS Servers that was running on that storage, Right click, Click on "Migrate" and I was able to choose a new LUN to copy the VPS Servers to.

Took me about 2 minutes.

I came back about 4 Hours later and they were all moved to a NEW LUN and not even a ping would have been lost..

Now I am reformatting that LUN and I will start using it agian.

Now can anyone tell me a better way to physically MOVE 10 VPS servers live running OS's (1.5 TB of total data) to new harddrives in 4 hours with no downtime??

Best part is it took about 2 minutes of my time.

This is just one of the reasons we use VMware

We have also ran alot of VoIP in VMware ESX and it works great.
    Only thing is you need to use a SAN, no SATA or SCSI in a server, I mean a SAN LUN with 10 drives, you can safely run 10 asterisk servers with no issues.

Agreed, ESX(i) is a way better solution than XenServer, Oraclevm, et al for any enterprise, there is no competition. Totally depends what you want out of virtualisation, but to migrate an enterprises infrastructure too, Vmware is the best.