New dedicated server user

Hi all, I've just started using my very first dedicated server, and was hoping some of you could answer some of my questions and problems to help me get into the swing of things.

Firstly, I need someone to quickly help me run through how A Records work...I have a dedicated server set up with Fasthosts, and I also have my domains registered with them too.

A site I'm building works at * com, but not www * com

I understand I need to add the 'www' as an A Record host name, with the IP of my server, right? (I had it working up until recently, but then fiddled about and lost it again!)

Which A Records should I need to add? At the moment I have 5 records: one is blank hostname, 'ns1', 'ns2', 'www', and 'mail'.

Are these right? I have them matched in my server control panel.

If someone could help me with this once and for all, I'll be forever grateful!

Another problem I have is with my clients being able to receive but not send email using anything other than webmail. I understand I need to allow SMTP on another port, but am clueless how to do this. Any help for this too would be perfect!

Thank you all,

Colin
    Last edited by Quartz; 08-28-2010 at 10:32 PM.

* Moved to Technical and Security Issues....

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by colinhall View Post
    Hi all, I've just started using my very first dedicated server, and was hoping some of you could answer some of my questions and problems to help me get into the swing of things.

Firstly, I need someone to quickly help me run through how A Records work...I have a dedicated server set up with Fasthosts, and I also have my domains registered with them too.

A site I'm building works at * com, but not www * com

I understand I need to add the 'www' as an A Record host name, with the IP of my server, right? (I had it working up until recently, but then fiddled about and lost it again!)

Which A Records should I need to add? At the moment I have 5 records: one is blank hostname, 'ns1', 'ns2', 'www', and 'mail'.

Are these right? I have them matched in my server control panel.

If someone could help me with this once and for all, I'll be forever grateful!

Another problem I have is with my clients being able to receive but not send email using anything other than webmail. I understand I need to allow SMTP on another port, but am clueless how to do this. Any help for this too would be perfect!

Thank you all,

Colin
    Hello Colin,

Welcome to WHT,

www records are related with site where site is hosted, so you need accordingly www record and about email you need to open outbound SMTP as well.

Well your records looks ok.

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    www.*.com. 86400 IN A 77.68.55.76

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    *.com. 86270 IN A 77.68.55.76

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    *.com. 86271 IN MX 10 mail.*.com.
    Last edited by Quartz; 08-28-2010 at 10:32 PM.
    Thanks,
    Noman
    noman@linuxonsupport.com
    O Canada, we stand on guard for thee

Maybe the www A Record is just getting reset (I understand it can take some time)

How would I open outbound SMTP for email?
    I read somewhere I need to configure the 'sendmail.cf' file...it seems like quite a long process for something so simple.

Squirrelmail sends mail fine on port 25, so I am fairly confident this isn't the problem...and nudge in the right direction for opening outbound SMTP would be ace!

Many thanks,

Colin

Maybe the www A Record is just getting reset (I understand it can take some time)

How would I open outbound SMTP for email?
    I read somewhere I need to configure the 'sendmail.cf' file...it seems like quite a long process for something so simple.

Squirrelmail sends mail fine on port 25, so I am fairly confident this isn't the problem...and nudge in the right direction for opening outbound SMTP would be ace!

Many thanks,

Colin
    Hi,

You need to check which MTA is running if sendmail then you need to check that if postfix or exim then check it accordingly, also check your firewall rules as well, i mean iptables.
    Thanks,
    Noman
    noman@linuxonsupport.com

Thanks for your willingness Noman!

Sendmail is running on my server, but I'm not really sure how to edit anything. I don't even know where to begin. I'm a new user of linux/dedicated servers, so any beginner how-to tips would be perfect. I'm a very quick learner though!

Cheers,

Colin

Thanks for your willingness Noman!

Sendmail is running on my server, but I'm not really sure how to edit anything. I don't even know where to begin. I'm a new user of linux/dedicated servers, so any beginner how-to tips would be perfect. I'm a very quick learner though!

Cheers,

Colin

Please can you tell me your Operating system.

do this please

cat /etc/redhat-release
    Thanks,
    Noman
    noman@linuxonsupport.com

Quote Originally Posted by nomankhn View Post
    Please can you tell me your Operating system.

do this please

cat /etc/redhat-release

I hope if its fedora or centos then you may check.

http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/w...x_Mail_Servers
    Thanks,
    Noman
    noman@linuxonsupport.com

Hi there,

The OS is Ubuntu 8.10...does that mean I can't use that link you kindly gave me?

Cheers,

Colin

Hi there,

The OS is Ubuntu 8.10...does that mean I can't use that link you kindly gave me?

Cheers,

Colin

Please check and try that, sendmail configuration is almost same, mostly people rent centos/fedora base dedicated server thats why it was just my thought, just go step by step then do it please.
    Thanks,
    Noman
    noman@linuxonsupport.com

I'm completely lost...I read that exim4 is a better way to go?

I can install it but I need some guidance in the setup if anyone can help me?

A very new-user friendly guide would be perfect...someone please help?

Thanks in advance,

Colin
    Last edited by colinhall; 08-28-2009 at 05:52 PM.

Hi Colin,

Have you considered a managed server instead, given that it means you can make sure everything gets installed and is kept secure, also allows you to have somone to fall back on.

Are you looking for advice on how to install and setup exim ?
    Data Republic - UK Managed Servers - Server Management - Managed Backup/R1Soft
    Follow us on Twitter to get exclusive sales & updates.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

From the questions I'm seeing asked, I would also suggest you go managed, unless you are using this as a learning server. I would doubt that, or you would almost certainly purchased a much cheaper VPS or similar, but managing a *nix install with no knowledge is not something you can just jump into and expect everything to go well. Even with a control panel, everything can go right until you actually have a problem outside of the CPs scope, then you are dead in the water.
    If you are a quick study, get a vps or load *nix on a computer you have laying around, and use it to hack and test.

Good luck.
    This is the best signature in the world....Tribute!
    (It is not the best signature in the world, no. This is just a tribute)

Hi Colin,

you decide what you want to use as a mailserver.

1. sendmail
    2. postfix
    3. exim

all are good but you need to install and test them properly on some testing machine after that you can deploy on production server, If only one website is hosted on that dedicated server i suggest sendmail and also make uptodate firewall rules so it makes secure your server, you also need to take bacup of your server because emails/website/database/server configuration files all are important things, if something got disturb you will loose client.
    Thanks,
    Noman
    noman@linuxonsupport.com

Thanks for your replies everyone, I really do appreciate it!

There are going to be multiple sites hosted, and I read that exim is a good option. I emailed the server provider and they informed me that they will charge £60 per half hour work. If its just a matter of installing the MTA and configuring it, then I feel I am quite capable under instruction. Is anyone able to talk me through the config of exim?

Thanks,
    Colin

Thanks for your replies everyone, I really do appreciate it!

There are going to be multiple sites hosted, and I read that exim is a good option. I emailed the server provider and they informed me that they will charge £60 per half hour work. If its just a matter of installing the MTA and configuring it, then I feel I am quite capable under instruction. Is anyone able to talk me through the config of exim?

Thanks,
    Colin

Is anyone interested in setting up a working MTA, and enable it to use SMTP port 587 on my server for a small fee?

I really need this done before Monday, so any help would be awesome!

Many thanks,

Colin