Thumbs down Re: United Colo experience.

They could have simply tried the next day. It isn't my problem if PayPal froze my account while they tried to bill me. That's between them and PayPal. They just decided to send me an invoice instead but never bothered attempting to try again. Doesn't even say how to resubmit payment on the invoice. Just says amount due. They also don't respond to e-mails so it would be impossible to ask them to try again. It's not a big deal since I backed up the server before that happened but if I had lost data I would have taken action. I decided to cancel all the rest of my servers that are located with them and have reported my card as lost just in case they try to continue billing me anyways.

They always say that you get what you pay for and that holds true for United Colo.

Re: United Colo experience.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Chicken

I have edited your thread title as your post does NOT explain why this company is a crook or scam artist.

They couldn't charge your card. Thus, they didn't provide you service. I'm not so sure what is so hard to put together about that, however, if you walk up to any store with merchandise and your card is denied I guarantee they won't let you take home the items. Doesn't make them crooks, it makes them not idiots. Please use some common sense.

I'll be honest here

I've got 3 clients with UC servers. Yeah, I was around when they were gettin hit daily with DDOS stuff.

Have they learned their lesson? I've got to say that UC has performed BETTER than some of the top named individuals, both support wise and sales wise.

Of course they've got their faults (what corporation in their right mind would use psyche as an operating system for network data is beyond me), but we all do, c'mon now. They set the server up in < 48hours, though they didn't have the stuff in stock they said they did.

All in all: UC is MUCH better than some that I've had experience with. their network is stable (now), as compared to rackshack's mysterious network problems every month, they solve serious problems in < 12hours, and non serious problems as quickly as possible..

Would I host my servers with UC? If I wasn't using Nocster, I would yeah. They were actually the second choice (nocster was first cuz of the setup time)

EVERYWHERE you go will have problems. It's how you deal with those problems that is the key issue. Not only you but those you choose to do business with. You can ignore 'em or you can deal with the problems as they come up in a professional manner.
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

You didn't pay, they cut you off, what ever the circumstances, that is what it boils down to. Maybe some companies are kind enough to give some leeway, others aren't. Can you fault them for having strict policies? It wouldn't at all surprise me if Rackshack had the same policy.

I've found UGC to be nothing but a decent place for a dedicated server. Do they have their flaws? Of course they do, but I haven't experienced anything that really bothered me as yet. My server was set up in 6 hours flat. It was misconfigured, but they gladly fixed that within a matter of hours. They seem to have support staff available 24/7 and they are cheap as chips. I think you mentioned something about a one man show? I assure you it isn't. I've talked with 2 or 3 sales reps and 2 or 3 support staff. Surely this doesn't look like a one man show to me.

Also when I signed up (not long after they switched to the good bandwidth) I was expecting some downtime every so often, but as yet haven't seen any.

Timmah was/is a scam, I'd hardly call UGC that for adopting a harsh stance towards people that don't pay their bills on time.
    Proud member of the RIAA closed quaters combat cell !!!
    You'd better drop that CD-R before I shoot you !!!

Like I said, the money was there but paypal locked it so United sent me a invoice with no instructions to pay it so I assumed they would just bill me again but nope they just waited a few days and canceled the server. They might as well just have cancelled it right away and not send the invoice.

Rackshack actually is better. They give a 10 day notice and they do attempt to bill again.

I would have rather have them bill me for 2 months in advance to begin with so this wouldn't have happened but they do it only month to month.

Professionalism

I have to agree that problems are not necessarily the issue...the issue is how a company responds to those problems.

There was that downtime not so long ago and UC stated that they would credit their clients for it...and they DID without any hassle.

They don't trick you with overcharging bandwidth because they provide you with MRTG any time you want.

They take responsibility for any downtimes, they provide us with really good prices and the bandwidth is not at all shabby.

I'm personally very very happy with UC. And they were not able to charge my credit card either, but gave me 3 days to fix the problem. I don't really know why you got shut off imediately.

Then the problem would actually be a lack of policy. If they'd enforce the same policy for all, I'd say fine, but in my opinion they can't give one person 3 additional days and then just cut another person off in similar circumstances.
    Last edited by Tazzman; 11-13-2002 at 07:01 PM.
    Proud member of the RIAA closed quaters combat cell !!!
    You'd better drop that CD-R before I shoot you !!!

Thumbs up United Colo experience = GOOD

I've had a great experience with UCG since day one. I ordered my box with them whilst everyone here was microanalyzing their business and whining amongst themselves.

I agree with wolfstream, there's always gonna be problems, but UCG have always responded to my emails and calls very quickly and professionally

A big from tapster

Also, since WHEN does UC take PayPal? we emailed 'em about this last week, they said they didn't take it. Perhaps this is why. You should have an alternative to PayPal anyways. I know it's not cheap, but it's the cost of running a business. NOT everyone's got paypal or can.
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

Originally posted by wolfstream
    Also, since WHEN does UC take PayPal? we emailed 'em about this last week, they said they didn't take it.
    I guess he means the PayPal debit card which is a Mastercard AFAIR.
    321Host-It Internet Services
    http://www.321host-it.com