Which SPLA license?

Was wondering which SPLA licenses are usually used by providers here.

For Standard, I imagine most people are using the 1 processor - unauthenticated, since I see most people indicate Anonymous only, and the pricing seems to match.

However, pricing from Enterprise doesn't seem to match up to any of the our licenses I see available. Am I just missing a license option from my SPLA provider, or are people using the SAL? Here are the applicable options that I see:

Windows Server Standard
    -----------------------
    M255740 P73-04837
    Microsoft SPLA Windows Server Standard
    (Multiple Platforms, License and Upgrade Advantage, All Languages)

M178984 P73-00979
    Microsoft Windows Server Standard Edition
    - License & software assurance - 1 processor - volume, Unauthenticated - All Languages - 1 - Microsoft SPLA

M212545 P73-03408
    Microsoft Windows Server Standard Edition
    - License & software assurance - 1 subscriber (SAL) - volume - All Languages - 1 - Microsoft SPLA

Windows Server Enterprise
    -------------------------

M266496 P72-04169
    Microsoft SPLA Windows Server Enterprise 1 Processor
    (Multiple Platforms, License and Upgrade Advantage, All Languages)

M191728 P72-01681
    Microsoft Windows Server Enterprise Edition
    - License & software assurance - 1 subscriber (SAL) - Select - All Languages - 1 - Microsoft SPLA
    ASTUTE INTERNET: Advanced, customized, and scalable solutions with AS54527 Premium Performance and Canadian Optimized Network (Level3, Shaw, CogecoPeer1, GTT/Tinet),
    AS63213 Cost Effective High Performance Network (Cogent, HE, GTT/Tinet)
    Dedicated Hosting, Colo, Bandwidth, and Fiber out of Vancouver, Seattle, LA, Toronto, NYC, and Miami

I think they are having new spla use sal's on enterprise. Best to contact your provider for clarification.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | DDOS Protected | Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

Quote Originally Posted by FastServ View Post
    I think they are having new spla use sal's on enterprise. Best to contact your provider for clarification.
    Hi Randy, do you have different options from your provider under an older agreement?

My provider suggested just going with the SAL's, until I need enough to justify the cost of the per processor licensing (~10 of them). From what I've seen, most companies I see tend to offer Enterprise, be it with 1 CPU or 2, for about half the price of a single per processor license. Just wasn't sure if there was an older licensing option for 2003 that was less expensive than the 2003/2008 combined license, or something along those lines.

Presuming that whichever license providers are using allows for 2 users only like the anonymous Standard license, the SAL method seems to be a fair bit cheaper. However, if anonymous Enterprise allows for more, I would like to know so that we can offer an option in line with the industry.
    ASTUTE INTERNET: Advanced, customized, and scalable solutions with AS54527 Premium Performance and Canadian Optimized Network (Level3, Shaw, CogecoPeer1, GTT/Tinet),
    AS63213 Cost Effective High Performance Network (Cogent, HE, GTT/Tinet)
    Dedicated Hosting, Colo, Bandwidth, and Fiber out of Vancouver, Seattle, LA, Toronto, NYC, and Miami

We use anonymous for all 2003 versions under our aging contract (unless the customer requests otherwise).
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | DDOS Protected | Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

Go with SAL until it justifies the per proc licensing, it works fine/the same.
    Yellow Fiber Networks
    http://www.yellowfiber.net : Managed Solutions - Colocation - Network Services IPv4/IPv6
    Ashburn/Denver/NYC/Dallas/Chicago Markets Served zak@yellowfiber.net

Quote Originally Posted by hhw View Post
    My provider suggested just going with the SAL's, until I need enough to justify the cost of the per processor licensing
    SALs are the service-provider equivalent of CALs. These are used when there are authenticated users.

In an unauthenticated scenario such as web hosting, SALs are not applicable.

Quote Originally Posted by Sekweta View Post
    SALs are the service-provider equivalent of CALs. These are used when there are authenticated users.

In an unauthenticated scenario such as web hosting, SALs are not applicable.
    thats why web only comes in one option while std/ent etc do since they are used for exchange etc.
    Yellow Fiber Networks
    http://www.yellowfiber.net : Managed Solutions - Colocation - Network Services IPv4/IPv6

Quote Originally Posted by Spudstr View Post
    thats why web only comes in one option while std/ent etc do since they are used for exchange etc.
    And also why Datacenter edition only comes in one flavor, like Web edition. Only Standard and Enterprise may be used in "authenticated" use scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by Sekweta View Post
    And also why Datacenter edition only comes in one flavor, like Web edition. Only Standard and Enterprise may be used in "authenticated" use scenarios.
    correct, and there seems to be a odd loophole with datacenter edition according to our dell SPLA rep. All you need is to pay one x the license for _all_ your virtual machines
    Yellow Fiber Networks

Quote Originally Posted by Spudstr View Post
    correct, and there seems to be a odd loophole with datacenter edition according to our dell SPLA rep. All you need is to pay one x the license for _all_ your virtual machines
    It makes sense. The chassis can only do (X) maximal amount of work, whether it's used as a single physical server, or carved up into 10 smaller VMs. I look at VMs as carpoolers.

Charging a license for each VM in "unauthenticated" mode would be like GM selling you a new car for $X if you drive alone, $2X if you carry a passenger, or $4X if you want to carry the family. The car can only carry 1500 pounds, and it's your choice whether you drive around 1 World's Fattest Man, or a family of 10 midgets.

My biggest complaint is charging per-CPU, which is nothing more than a money grab. I can double my RAM and not pay more. I can double my disk capacity and not pay more. But if I add a 2nd CPU, I pay double the licensing fees.