Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 51

Thread: Why Cpanel?

  1. #1

    Why Cpanel?

    Hi,
    Just interested to find out why many hosts use cpanel for their shared hosting?

    The first hosting compnay I used had PLESK. It was pretty easy to use, and as far as I know it is a free software.
    And I could change my CNAME records myself from the control panel.

    Another hosting company used Virtualmin. It's a bit harder to use, but it SO customizable.
    I could edit my php.ini file, change my CNAME records, and it also has a bunch of other features that I don't even know how to use.

    Recently, I just tried a CPANEL host. Besides not looking any better than PLESK, it's just so basic in term of its features. I can't update my CNAME records, I can't change my PHP.ini file, and can't do much more than the basic stuff.

    So my q is- if CPANEL costs money and it lacking in features, why do so many hosts use them?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    242

    *

    Quote Originally Posted by alkit View Post
    Hi,
    Just interested to find out why many hosts use cpanel for their shared hosting?

    The first hosting compnay I used had PLESK. It was pretty easy to use, and as far as I know it is a free software.
    And I could change my CNAME records myself from the control panel.

    Another hosting company used Virtualmin. It's a bit harder to use, but it SO customizable.
    I could edit my php.ini file, change my CNAME records, and it also has a bunch of other features that I don't even know how to use.

    Recently, I just tried a CPANEL host. Besides not looking any better than PLESK, it's just so basic in term of its features. I can't update my CNAME records, I can't change my PHP.ini file, and can't do much more than the basic stuff.

    So my q is- if CPANEL costs money and it lacking in features, why do so many hosts use them?

    Even though cPanel cost money, Too me and a large amount of other host its one of the best Control Panels thus far. & as far as not being able too edit the php.ini well most host wont allow that because of security. :p

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    OnTheWeb
    Posts
    2,024
    cpanel has a stable look and feel to it. Not many hosts would want a user to be constantly changing their username because it would be hard to keep track of who is paying what when it comes to large companies. Just my view on it

  4. #4
    I find PLESK to run a little slower than cPanel. Another option away from Plesk and cPanel is Direct Admin. I think Direct Admin is a solid control panel, we plan on offering Direct Admin to our customers.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    1,307
    To edit your php.ini file on a cPanel web server, if allowed, you just put the file into the directory you want it to take effect and modify the .htaccess file.

    cPanel is one of the best control panels out there and has a multitude of functions and features.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    EU - east side
    Posts
    21,913
    When you have so many potential customers that have already used cPanel, it makes sense to offer it. Of course, it makes sense to not offer it as well, as a way to be different or target those that can't stand this particular control panel.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    649
    Quote Originally Posted by alkit View Post
    Hi,
    Just interested to find out why many hosts use cpanel for their shared hosting?
    Because it is arguably the best control panel available.

    Quote Originally Posted by alkit View Post
    The first hosting compnay I used had PLESK. It was pretty easy to use, and as far as I know it is a free software.
    Plesk is and always has been NOT free.

    Quote Originally Posted by alkit View Post
    And I could change my CNAME records myself from the control panel.
    If you're on shared hosting, you're on shared hosting, and you're stuck with whatever features your host provides you. If they've disabled subdomains for your account, that's not cPanel's problem. If there's a little button next to "Add Domain" and "Park Domain" called "Add Subdomain", I'm not sure what you're complaining about.

    Quote Originally Posted by alkit View Post
    Another hosting company used Virtualmin. It's a bit harder to use, but it SO customizable.
    I could edit my php.ini file, change my CNAME records, and it also has a bunch of other features that I don't even know how to use.
    Again, if you're on shared hosting, you're stuck with the features you bought. Your choice in hosting providers is in no way the fault of cPanel.

    Quote Originally Posted by alkit View Post
    Recently, I just tried a CPANEL host. Besides not looking any better than PLESK
    In my opinion, it looks vastly better than Plesk. Plesk looks like a fresh-made brick.
    Quote Originally Posted by alkit View Post
    it's just so basic in term of its features.
    cPanel is in no way "basic" in terms of features.
    Quote Originally Posted by alkit View Post
    I can't update my CNAME records, I can't change my PHP.ini file, and can't do much more than the basic stuff.
    If you want direct access to DNS zones, why are you using shared hosting? Why are you stuck in a rut with CNAME? Just add a subdomain and/or redirect...

    Quote Originally Posted by alkit View Post
    So my q is- if CPANEL costs money and it lacking in features, why do so many hosts use them?
    Because all the best control panels cost money. Your lack of observational skills and lack of experience with a tool do not mean that tool is "lacking in features".
    [GB ≠ GiB] [MB ≠ MiB] [kB ≠ kiB] [1000 ≠ 1024] [Giga ≠ gram] [Mega ≠ milli] [Kelvin ≠ kilo] [Byte ≠ bit]
    There is no millibit. There is no gram-bit. There is no Kelvin-Byte.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    19
    Well, Plesk is not free for more than one domain which is kinda useless for a hosting company. In fact I have seen Plesk licenses costing more than a cPanel license.

    one thing about cPanel is it is great for account transfers and backups. The WHM feature of cPanel is nice too.

    I have always found Plesk quite bland compared to the features of cPanel. I never liked Plesk's choice for a mailserver either.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    MO
    Posts
    629
    It just depends on who you target... most people think of cPanel first when they are asked about a control panel. With that said, we don't even offer cPanel anymore. We're a DirectAdmin-only host.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,876
    cPanel works well, is very solid, is affordable, has good support, and the list goes on.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    16,087
    Quote Originally Posted by alkit View Post
    Hi,
    Just interested to find out why many hosts use cpanel for their shared hosting?
    cPanel is for the most part a standard control panel as far as shared/reseller hosting goes across the industry.

    Quote Originally Posted by alkit View Post
    The first hosting compnay I used had PLESK. It was pretty easy to use, and as far as I know it is a free software.
    And I could change my CNAME records myself from the control panel.
    To be honest it's probably best that the average hosting consumer doesn't have access to their DNS zone - while there are some that should have access... they are the ones that are usually on a reseller plan and as such already have access to edit DNS zones.

    As others have said Plesk is *not* free

    Quote Originally Posted by alkit View Post
    Another hosting company used Virtualmin. It's a bit harder to use, but it SO customizable.
    I could edit my php.ini file, change my CNAME records, and it also has a bunch of other features that I don't even know how to use.
    What good is a feature you don't need/don't know how to use? Imho if you add too much to a control panel even if the consumer doesn't use 90% of it - it will confuse them.

    Quote Originally Posted by alkit View Post
    Recently, I just tried a CPANEL host. Besides not looking any better than PLESK, it's just so basic in term of its features. I can't update my CNAME records, I can't change my PHP.ini file, and can't do much more than the basic stuff.
    Some Apache hosts support php.ini where some support .htaccess - it would be very difficult to implement a php.ini editor into cPanel because it may or may not work in all cases and realistically how hard is it to just create a small php.ini file and upload it to your directory? I surely hope you don't complain that there's not an index.html editor in cPanel/Plesk

    Also again it's probably best that most customers don't have access to their DNS zones.

    Quote Originally Posted by alkit View Post
    So my q is- if CPANEL costs money and it lacking in features, why do so many hosts use them?
    All of the good control panels cost money - I personally feel that Plesk is over-priced, clunky, and poorly designed from an ergonomic standpoint in comparison to cPanel. While I won't say that cPanel does everything perfectly ... I would choose cPanel over Plesk any day.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    649
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    Some Apache hosts support php.ini where some support .htaccess - it would be very difficult to implement a php.ini editor into cPanel because it may or may not work in all cases and realistically how hard is it to just create a small php.ini file and upload it to your directory? I surely hope you don't complain that there's not an index.html editor in cPanel/Plesk
    Actually, if you open the "file manager" tool, you've got a basic editor for any file
    [GB ≠ GiB] [MB ≠ MiB] [kB ≠ kiB] [1000 ≠ 1024] [Giga ≠ gram] [Mega ≠ milli] [Kelvin ≠ kilo] [Byte ≠ bit]
    There is no millibit. There is no gram-bit. There is no Kelvin-Byte.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,876
    Quote Originally Posted by petteyg359 View Post
    Actually, if you open the "file manager" tool, you've got a basic editor for any file
    I hate that editor so I always use WinSCP + Komodo

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    533
    Quote Originally Posted by alkit View Post
    So my q is- if CPANEL costs money and it lacking in features, why do so many hosts use them?
    If you've taken enough time to explore Cpanel you'd realize that Cpanel is probably the most feature rich control panel out there. Would you care to share what Plesk feature that is absent in Cpanel?

    I thought Cpanel was slow and clunky until I tried Plesk, whats with the 2-5 seconds loading bar when trying to do anything at all ??!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Next Door
    Posts
    87
    Cpanel because the clients request it, the majority, they heard 1-2 friends, saw reviews. Became like Coca Cola, people think like this: "man don't even think to try something else...is the best for everything, everywhere, i'm using it and i'm satisfied --- ok, i sign up for Cpanel."

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    WebHostingTalk
    Posts
    16,963
    Quote Originally Posted by alkit View Post
    Recently, I just tried a CPANEL host. Besides not looking any better than PLESK, it's just so basic in term of its features. I can't update my CNAME records, I can't change my PHP.ini file, and can't do much more than the basic stuff.
    CPanel is better than Plesk.

    You can still edit the dns if you are a reseller and if the host provided you access to it.

    You can edit your own php.ini, and again, if the host provider allowed this for you since it can be disabled via easyapache.

    There are many things you can do with CPanel but it depends on how the host configured it for you.
    Specially 4 You
    .
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

  17. #17
    I think that only for a single reason that everyone is using so why I should go for something else.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,882
    Cpanel is so popular because most of the clients believes it is user friendly. And it has got good features and even a newbie can adapt quickly to those features. And as far as the draw backs mentioned by OP, most of those are disabled by the host itself because of different reasons in a shared hosting environment. So that is not the problem of Cpanel as some one stated already.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    Posts
    3,372
    Its the perfect panel for the host who has little or no knowledge of servers and networks or how a website goes from a server to a browser. And the (unintended?) consequences are obvious

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    16,087
    Quote Originally Posted by Collabora View Post
    Its the perfect panel for the host who has little or no knowledge of servers and networks or how a website goes from a server to a browser. And the (unintended?) consequences are obvious
    It is the most used control panel for standard shared and reseller and as such it will be used by a vast majority of those who have no idea what they are doing as well as those that do
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,876
    Quote Originally Posted by Collabora View Post
    Its the perfect panel for the host who has little or no knowledge of servers and networks or how a website goes from a server to a browser. And the (unintended?) consequences are obvious
    You need to be a rocket scientist to figure out godaddy's panel IMHO Also the patients of ghandi/buddha to live with it.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    Posts
    3,372
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTrike View Post
    You need to be a rocket scientist to figure out godaddy's panel IMHO Also the patients of ghandi/buddha to live with it.
    Now that would be funny if the comparison was relevant. You are speaking as an end user and not a host. That the same panel supports windows and cf along with linux in a distributed architecture I guess escapes you. And of course its not for sale anyway.

    But seriously, to remark on the comment as an end user, I have the feeling you haven't used it in a while or was using one from a different planet.

    I am going to set up a (linux demo) to give critics such as yourself the opportunity to describe in your post what it is you are actually referring to. I am honestly curious.

    In the meantime here is a link to a screenshot of the setting pane: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2564/...f54efd17_o.jpg

    Is that the control panel you are referring to?
    Last edited by Collabora; 09-16-2009 at 09:51 PM.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,876
    I've used it about six times this week, and will be migrating about thirty sites this weekend.

    Yes that one, the database utilities are obnoxious. Database creation time varies greatly from a minute to as far as 30-40 minutes which is insane in those cases. Should I really have to go into detail? My only competition with godaddy is the fact that they are a marketing monster, not because they care about the little people. I've had to call in numerous times on behalf of my clients and most of the time I want to reach through the phone and choke the person on the other end of the line.

    Granted now I am off topic, and I can go on all day about how much I dislike godaddy for the garbage they spew. They don't provide hosting solutions they sell titties! Enough said.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    Posts
    3,372
    Ok so you went from too complex and confusing to it doesn't work. Oh well.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,876
    Quote Originally Posted by Collabora View Post
    Ok so you went from too complex and confusing to it doesn't work. Oh well.
    That's the point, either I need to be a genius or its garbage. Either way that does not help anybody. Oh well yourself.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    Posts
    3,372
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTrike View Post
    Yes that one, the database utilities are obnoxious.
    phpmyadmin is obnoxious? You can always connect remotely using your own local utilities
    Last edited by Collabora; 09-16-2009 at 10:26 PM.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,876
    [QUOTE=Collabora;6395852]
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTrike View Post
    Yes that one, the database utilities are obnoxious.

    phpmyadmin is obnoxious? You can always connect remotely using your own local utilities
    phpMyAdmin is great, the other half on the godaddy control panel is annoying combined with the slowness of db creation. It got to the point where I told clients they either find another host, host with me, or I drop them. Sure I could bill them an extra hour because of how horridly slow it was in most cases. But the annoyance just diminishes moral at all stages of the work process and makes me sick.

    EDIT: A sluggish db server is going to run slow in phpMyAdmin or on a local utility by the way. Which is horribly sad for a split apart system that should run so well.

  28. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTrike View Post
    That's the point, either I need to be a genius or its garbage. Either way that does not help anybody. Oh well yourself.
    I have used GoDaddy's control panel and I did not find it that difficult to use. It definitely wouldn't be my top choice but it was workable.


  29. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,876
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyPenguin View Post
    I have used GoDaddy's control panel and I did not find it that difficult to use. It definitely wouldn't be my top choice but it was workable.
    Workable is not productive, it's counter intuitive. But the db creation time is my biggest gripe by far compared to the control panel. I've encountered that 90% of the time. Sometimes worse than others, and then again sometimes its near instant so I don't know what they are up to back there, but they need to spend less on titty advertisements and more on making things work. You would think a company as big as them could be more solid.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    16,087
    Cmon guys, can't we all just get along?
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,876
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    Cmon guys, can't we all just get along?
    Maybe

    Go Daddy Group Inc. threw a $2 million holiday party at Chase Field for nearly 4,000 employees, vendors and guests. With sales up 42 percent this year, the Scottsdale domain name registrar bucked corporate America's Ebenezer Scrooge trend and the otherwise poor economy to treat employees to a bash twice as big as last year's.
    Source:http://www.azcentral.com/community/s...daddy1216.html

    If they can afford $2 million dollar parties, their service should be FANTASTIC with all that money they have to throw around. I'd say most of the companies on WHT are small and do not see 2 million in annual revenue. They should put money like that back into solidifying their offerings.

    Maybe I'm missing something, but their concern is with profit, not client success. It should be both client success tied with their own.

    I'll end on that note though to keep things fair. Stating that this is strictly my opinion, which I'm entitled to.

  32. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    It is the most used control panel for standard shared and reseller and as such it will be used by a vast majority of those who have no idea what they are doing as well as those that do
    Hmmm It seams all the real big dogs in the hosting business use their own proprietary control panel including Godaddy, all Endurance International Companies, 1&1, and Dreamhost. Excluding the real big players cPanel is more popular over any other control panel. But it still by no means makes it the best IMO.


  33. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,876
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyPenguin View Post
    Hmmm It seams all the real big dogs in the hosting business use their own proprietary control panel including Godaddy, all Endurance International Companies, 1&1, and Dreamhost. Excluding the real big players cPanel is more popular over any other control panel. But it still by no means makes it the best IMO.
    That being said, it still does most of what it offers well. People should use what works best as long as it's not counter intuitive. Proprietary does not mean better, just more unique.

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    16,087
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyPenguin View Post
    Hmmm It seams all the real big dogs in the hosting business use their own proprietary control panel including Godaddy, all Endurance International Companies, 1&1, and Dreamhost. Excluding the real big players cPanel is more popular over any other control panel. But it still by no means makes it the best IMO.
    Is it the best? I don't know that I'd go that far but it certainly is the most prolific as far as shared hosting goes beyond the providers that you listed.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

  35. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by James Walter View Post
    I think that only for a single reason that everyone is using so why I should go for something else.
    The truth is not "everyone" is using it (cPanel).

    There are many excellent control panels besides cPanel. My favorite is DirectAdmin. It is very easy to use and treats all domains equally. My second favorite is H-Sphere. Both are more intuitive and friendlier to use than cPanel for my hosting requirements.


  36. #36
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    Posts
    3,372
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTrike View Post
    db creation time is my biggest gripe by far compared to the control panel. Sometimes worse than others, and then again sometimes its near instant so I don't know what they are up to back there,
    Think of it as a feature

    The request gets put into a queue. Sometimes that's a good thing when otherwise a request would hang some other panels, timeout or otherwise cause you to start over, or worse, put in a trouble ticket.

    Keep in mind that cpanel is installed on the same server as the database (and email and web sites). While that would naturally speed up the request, that architecure (having all services, including cp on same server) is not the best type.

    It hangs on me sometimes too. When it does I move on to something else and come back. But when its done its done. No biggie in the grand scheme of things.

    Can we say "titties" here?

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    16,087
    Quote Originally Posted by Collabora View Post
    Think of it as a feature
    I wouldn't see that as a feature even with your explanation of it but that's me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Collabora View Post
    Can we say "titties" here?
    I don't see why not... I've seen much much worse stay on the forums before
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

  38. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,876
    Quote Originally Posted by Collabora View Post
    Think of it as a feature
    The request gets put into a queue. Sometimes that's a good thing when otherwise a request would hang some other panels, timeout or otherwise cause you to start over, or worse, put in a trouble ticket.
    I've never had a request hang on any other shared hosting company's setup that I've used. That's not to say that it does not happen, I've just never experienced it. Which is why this is again my personal opinion. I should not have to wait for something that should work pretty much all of the time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Collabora View Post
    Keep in mind that cpanel is installed on the same server as the database (and email and web sites). While that would naturally speed up the request, that architecure (having all services, including cp on same server) is not the best type.
    True (not 100% required) but true, however that's the basic idea of shared hosting. It also works great with providers who don't overload their servers of proper specification.

    Quote Originally Posted by Collabora View Post
    It hangs on me sometimes too. When it does I move on to something else and come back. But when its done its done. No biggie in the grand scheme of things.
    That's great for you, not clients that need something done right away.

    Quote Originally Posted by Collabora View Post
    Can we say "titties" here?
    Go here: http://images.google.com/
    Type: godaddy
    Result: Why the heck can we not say that if they can do that?

  39. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTrike View Post
    That being said, it still does most of what it offers well. People should use what works best as long as it's not counter intuitive. Proprietary does not mean better, just more unique.
    Actually cPanel is just as proprietary concerning code as all the the control panels of the cp's of the companies I listed. So what is your point?


  40. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,876
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyPenguin View Post
    Actually cPanel is just as proprietary concerning code as all the the control panels of the cp's of the companies I listed. So what is your point?
    Proprietary does not mean better is my point. I was not excluding cPanel, I was jut pointing out that a proprietary panel specific to one company does not make it any better. My bad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [REQUEST] CPanel Server Move - Cpanel to Cpanel
    By gariben in forum Systems Management Requests
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-26-2007, 05:48 AM
  2. Cpanel XP (User Friendly Cpanel skin)+CPanelAPP(The Most powerful Cpanel Application)
    By [email protected] in forum Other Web Hosting Related Offers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-13-2004, 03:50 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-04-2003, 11:54 PM
  4. cpanel to cpanel script...cpanel hosts..read me :)
    By AlaskanWolf in forum Other Offers & Requests
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-24-2002, 06:36 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •