hi I need a web host for a personal website.

Someone recommended me a place that offers 2TB bandwidth, 100GB space, unlimited subdomain and email and free domain name for $9.95 a month. I did some search online and found that similar packages are only around $5 per month. I see a lot of them have unlimited bandwidth and space too (I don't really need unlimited though, it's just a place to put my blog and various other personal stuff.) I'm looking to choose Fatcow instead (all others really looks the same to me... but I'm sold on fatcow's cute cowhead and their effort on going green). What do you guys think? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bananarama View Post
    Someone recommended me a place that offers 2TB bandwidth, 100GB space, unlimited subdomain and email and free domain name for $9.95 a month. I did some search online and found that similar packages are only around $5 per month. I see a lot of them have unlimited bandwidth and space too (I don't really need unlimited though, it's just a place to put my blog and various other personal stuff.) I'm looking to choose Fatcow instead (all others really looks the same to me... but I'm sold on fatcow's cute cowhead and their effort on going green). What do you guys think? Thanks!
    You have to realize that a lot of places advertise what they can't deliver to attract customers, because it's impossible to deliver it. Unlimited space and BW is one, 2TB of BW and 100GB of space for $5-$10/mo is another. To get that much resources it would easily cost over $100/mo for the provider to deliver to you. These providers "oversell", promising you outrageously high resources at dirt cheap prices in hopes that you and hundreds of others lured in by them do not use nearly as much resources. If you were to use even a fraction of that you would be suspended on some technicality and told to go home, as it's not worth it for the provider to keep your business.

If you have an idea of how much resources you need (1GB disk should be fine for most sites) do not pay more for places that advertise unlimited or 100GB, you can get by with good places that advertise less (and what they can deliver) for a lower price. Why pay $66/year to FatCow when you can easily meet your needs with a basic non-oversold non-unlimited shared package for less than half the price? I also recommend you not pay annually (no matter what the incentive) without trying the service for a couple of months first. FatCow seems to force you to go the annual route, this is not a good idea.

You should also be careful not to get lured by top 10 sites and review sites. virtually every top 10 list is bought out by the companies that feature on it, and are completely unreliable.

Never buy your domain and your hosting from the same place, as the place can withhold your domain from you if you choose to move to another provider down the line (same thing from places who offer free domains with signups). Buy your domain from a different provider like Enom, GoDaddy, NameCheap, Dynadot etc... then buy your hosting from the hosting company you're interested in. This will give you maximum flexibility.

The hosting industry is very competitive, and thus a lot of marketing tricks are employed by many companies in order to attract and keep customers (or at least their money), whether the customers like it or not.
    Last edited by ItsJustHosting; 08-27-2009 at 01:51 PM.

you honestly can't expect to go into a host and use up an entire hard drive for $10/month and expect to have the account as long as you want - it's just massive overselling and you seem to have fallen under the impression that such high space and bandwidth offers are the norm. If you need a lot of space, go for a VPS or Dedicated server but i can guarantee they won't cost $10/month for that much space and bandwidth.

you should revise on the amount of resources that you actually need and use instead of trying to buy oversold hosting for as cheap as possible. And always read the hosts TOS and AUP just so you know what you can expect. Don't be fooled

Thanks for telling me something I really don't realize (domain and hosting from the same provider). You also reminded me why I googled other web hosts in the first place. The place that was recommended to me only has one payment option, which is a year's service at $119.40 (billed annually). I felt that's a bit too much to pay up front and don't want to be tied in for a year without knowing how the service is.

it is a lot and you will be better off finding a host that provides monthly contracts and trying that for a few months will build up trust - you won't have to fear losing a lot of money and you won't have to fear going into a long term relationship with the company just in case they turn out to be bad in the end.

look at the offers section in this forum, there are a lot of good offers and unlike other forums, WHT makes sure there aren't any unlimited space and bandwidth offers so you are less likely to buy oversold hosting and they also make sure the host domain's whois information is in tact so you know you aren't going in blind.

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by bananarama View Post
    Thanks for telling me something I really don't realize (domain and hosting from the same provider). You also reminded me why I googled other web hosts in the first place. The place that was recommended to me only has one payment option, which is a year's service at $119.40 (billed annually). I felt that's a bit too much to pay up front and don't want to be tied in for a year without knowing how the service is.
    Depending on the size of your website, $119.40 is way too much to pay to host a small personal website. $20-$30/year should suffice. And of course it's better to pay monthly, at least at the start.

Thank you guys, I'm glad I came here for advice.

Maybe I should tell you more info on why I was recommended that place. I found an ad offering free website creation in exchange for letting the guy build up his portfolio and giving him good reviews. We exchanged emails and I told him what I want in the website and that I don't know a thing and want to learn. I told him I don't know the whole deal of getting a domain name and hosting either and he recommended that place. But all of a sudden in that email he used "we" as the pronoun, as in "we recommend this hosting..." and "we provide this ...". I found it weird in the first place because I thought I was dealing with a person only. I was going to go ahead until I saw the payment option page.

A small basic hosting package should be well suited for you needs, there is no need to spend $10/month on hosting for a small person site such as yours.

It's very common that designers recommend hosting to their clients at overprices rates, because usually, their clients don't know better and like to deal with it all at once and have it done with. Its sounds as though we either works at the hosting company, owns it, or gets a good affiliate commission on new clients.

It never hurts to ask definitely less than $50/yr for a personal site.

Unlimited + Huge Ad Budget + A bunch of clients = The ability to drop the ones who actually use 'too much.' Marketing at its finest

Most sites that are just now starting out wont use more on average 1 GB a bandwidth a month, Then agian it all pends.

$50~100/year for a personal site I feel is acceptable as long as they provide high quality service, support, and reliability.

Usually you get what you pay for but be careful of hosts that are simply over-priced.

Good luck.

2TB and 100Gb is as good (or as bad) as unlimited. Virtually the same limits will be in place. The cheaper you go, the more accounts you're likely to find on the server, and the smaller your total usage can be before the host has to discuss the situation with you (i.e. suspend your account).

I'm looking to choose Fatcow instead (all others really looks the same to me... but I'm sold on fatcow's cute cowhead and their effort on going green). What do you guys think?
    I like their site and tongue in cheek approach too. Unfortunately, out of 9 accounts I have with different hosts, theirs is the one with the least favorable performance (as in how fast applications run). But, maybe I landed on the wrong server.

you can try starter shared hosting packs from reliable providers..dont go for unlimited stuff ..they are all lies

Hi... just want to post a little follow up on this. I told him that the package of $119 a year is too expensive for me and suggested some other cheaper web hosts. He replied that he only works with that specific one that he recommended to me, and if the price is not acceptable then he'll find someone else to work with.

So he lured me in with the offer to make a website for free (in exchange of good recommendation for his portfolio), but did not mention anything about using one specific host until later. To be fair, his price is not too outrageous and I didn't lose anything other than my time to deal with him, but I think this is not an honest way to do things.

Who is the host ?