Serving several EU countries from a single dedicate machine, some questions...

Hi all

I am about to launch a service which will include mostly streams and flash applets, the majority of the traffic will be from mainland Europe (non English) - Germany, Italy, France, Spain and Poland. I am looking to host it on a single dedicate Linux server with basic configuration:
    OK CPU duo/Quad
    min 2GB RAM
    min. 160GB
    4000GB data (with option to extend)
    good 24x7 support in English

My questions:
    As Im about to serve different geographical locations from a single server I would like that this server will be connected to some network which covers good the EU, such as:
    kpn.com >> eurorings/kwest networks
    interoute.com >> i21
    TeliaSonera >> telia.net

Signing directly with one of these giants will cost too much, does someone know any reliable hosting company which sub leasing one of these networks (or a like) and can offer a dedicated linux package with good support in a reasonable price ?

Any other insight on the subject or some other suggestions regarding where will it be best to physically locate the server will be highlly appreciated!

ps.
    I looked at leaseweb but if someone wants 24x7 support their price is jumping sky high, rapidswitch.com are in the top of my list but they are locate in the UK and I don't know how it will work with other European countries.

Thanks in advance for your help!

/Eric

Check LeaseWeb. They have peering with Germany, Span and Poland. Also they use TeliaSonera and KPN.

TSIC (TeliaSonera International Carrier) is really good, got some dedicated servers that has peering with them. If you want to find providers with TSIC i would search for hosting companies in Sweden, TeliaSonera has their HQ in Sweden so i guess they should have alot of customers there. Just a tip!

Quote Originally Posted by CretaForce View Post
    Check LeaseWeb. They have peering with Germany, Span and Poland. Also they use TeliaSonera and KPN.
    I did but 24x7 support with descent response time jumping the price by 225-365 euro a month:

Here are their rates for 24x7 support:
    SLA Gold (24x7x4) (+ 225,00)
    SLA Platinum (24x7x1) (+ 360,00)

Quote Originally Posted by zubbab View Post
    TSIC (TeliaSonera International Carrier) is really good, got some dedicated servers that has peering with them. If you want to find providers with TSIC i would search for hosting companies in Sweden, TeliaSonera has their HQ in Sweden so i guess they should have alot of customers there. Just a tip!
    Couldn't really find one with english support there...

Do you really need 24x7 support or do you need to be able to get support 24x7 when your server is down?
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017
    Unbeatable dedicated bandwidth deals for Dedicated servers ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7

Quote Originally Posted by eric1 View Post
    Couldn't really find one with english support there...
    You got me there! Tried to find one but couldn't.. i'll come back if i find one but it seems hard.

Quote Originally Posted by swiftnoc View Post
    Do you really need 24x7 support or do you need to be able to get support 24x7 when your server is down?
    same same. I just need to know that there will be somebody there for my request which will answer in a reasonable time.

I have not had any past experience but have a look at on coreix.net

You should simply look for any company connected to the main peering networks (internet exchanges) in Europe; which are DE-CIX AMS-IX and LINX ; you will cover europe pretty well with these connections and you should have no issues.
    Last edited by 040Hosting; 08-28-2009 at 05:52 AM.
    cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

Quote Originally Posted by 040Hosting View Post
    You should simply look for any company connected to the main peering networks (internet exchanges) in Europe; which are DE-CIX AMS-IX and LINX ; you will cover europe pretty well with these connections and you should have no issues.
    Thanks for the new info about the internet exchanges!

Do you have any recommendation?

Quote Originally Posted by eric1 View Post
    Thanks for the new info about the internet exchanges!

Do you have any recommendation?
    Eric,

Most companies in Europe do have these peerings, also the ones already mentioned in this thread; i would suggest you look for UK, NL or Germany for hosting providers. If you have many customers from east europe Germany might be having a slight advantage.

Your request is quite standard so it should not give you to much troubles to find. However make sure the company has a decent SLA where you do not need to wait for them to replace faulty hardware till the next monday, when something breaks down on friday evening or asking you to pay an unbelievable amount of money to get this service.

As for the language; most Dutch and German hosts also deliver support in English.
    cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

i would check OVH for those requirements.

http://weathermap.ovh.net/ shows that they have own lines to all the countries your visitors are

i wouldn't use leaseweb, this is the second time i think this month that my friends server is down along with some other stuff.. first outage was 3 hours and they wouldn't help me, even though i had his customer number.. they said it wasn't enough to look to see if there was something wrong, this time it's something wrong with the rack where the server is on.. and it's been down at least 2 hours, came back up for a few but...

they got good pricing but you get what you pay for.
    Providing World-Class Unnecessary Comments Since Birth.

Quote Originally Posted by jeev View Post
    i wouldn't use leaseweb, this is the second time i think this month that my friends server is down along with some other stuff.. first outage was 3 hours and they wouldn't help me, even though i had his customer number.. they said it wasn't enough to look to see if there was something wrong, this time it's something wrong with the rack where the server is on.. and it's been down at least 2 hours, came back up for a few but...

they got good pricing but you get what you pay for.
    Yeah I read some similar things...

Quote Originally Posted by laimi190 View Post
    i would check OVH for those requirements.

http://weathermap.ovh.net/ shows that they have own lines to all the countries your visitors are
    Thanks, I just read this thread about OVH and got scared

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=672553