Bodhost - Nightmare review

Hi -

About 7 months ago I picked up 2 dedicated servers from bodhost uk.

One was for production and one for development.

Both were configured with RAID 1 and 2x160 HDD and, supposedly, fully managed.

They originally sold me them with 4G of RAM but, having noticed that I had only 3G, when I enquired, they informed me that 3G was all the chassis would support and refunded the difference.

I wasn't happy about that, but they did refund me and changed the order form as well so you could not order 4G for that model.

Anyways, Within about 2 months I started having issues with the production server. It just seem to drop of the map periodically. As I was already unhappy about running on 3GiG, I didn't invest much in investigating this and just dropped the server and ported the clients to a new server with another host.

I had continued using the development server until about 2 months ago, when the /usr partition went read-only.

They took it offline for several hours, ran fsck and claimed it was OK.

OK, things happen, they seemed to have fixed it, and, besides, it was only for development so it wasn't worth freaking over.

About a week later, the /usr partition went read-only again.

This time, they took it offline, ran fsck and came back and told me it was toast.

Hello,

As per our conversion on chat support we tried to fix the issue of /usr partition by running fsck manually by accessing your server via KVM but it didn't fix the issue. As hard drive of your server is corrupted it is not possible bring the server online or recover the data.

Feel free to contact us if you need any further assistance we will be glad to assist you.

WTF?!
    I've have been paying an extra 20 pounds a month for RAID and the second drive. How is my data unrecoverable? Did you even try?

Having pointed out that the server was (supposedly)configured @RAID 1, which they seemed to be unaware of, I received the following:

As /usr partition was in read-only mode we needed to reboot the server and run fsck manually. After rebooting the server we ran fsck on your server but it failed so we replied you that it is not possible recover /usr partition. But as RAID 1 is configured on your we can recover the data and bring the server online again. I already have submitted ticket at DC and asked them to rebuild array it will take some more time. We will update you in the same ticket once your server get online.

Feel free to contact us if you have any other question or problem in this regard.

OK....., about 48 hours later....

The RAID is failing to rebuild , this is due to the source drive containing errors. A fsck run was completed however the problem still exists.The RAID has been setup so that errors are not ignored however this can be changed to ignore source errors.
    Well, that really sucks. Good thing I used off-site back up.

I am so sorry /usr partition totally corrupted not able to recover the data, I am in process to attach new HDD on your server as well as reinstall freesh Os , Once it done I'll move data again on your server.
    They then restored some data from another partition and placed it on my "new HDD".

After salvaging what I could, I canceled the server and requested a refund for that month.

A refund wasn't "possible" according to their billing department, but I could have one month credit.

I had no intention of ever doing business with them again, but not willing to start a fruitless argument about a refund, I took the free month and thought fine, so Ill have a free server to bang around on for a month.

Well, surprise, surprise, no sooner had I jumped back on my "new HDD" then the /usr partition went read only again!

Every hosting company makes mistakes, hardware goes bad, etc.... it's something you have to live with.

A good hosting company fixes these issues and the bad ones don't.

These guys are just over the top.

What are the chances of the same partition on a "new HDD" having the exact same issue as the old one?

What are the chances RAID was configured correctly in the first place?

Either way, I'm just glad to be done with bodhost uk.

Beside the above, the support in general was just painfully slow. This applied to billing support as well as tech.

Anyone looking for managed dedicated hosting should look elsewhere.

Edit: one more item worth noting. A few months back they accidentally canceled my server due to a "small billing glitch". Thank goodness for 3rd party monitoring.
    Last edited by dashmass; 08-26-2009 at 06:38 PM. Reason: one more small item.....

I've used Bodhost's VPS and dedicated services in the past about a year ago. I can agree that since then they haven't really improved much. I do like how they offer 24/7 live chat support though. That was what really caught my attention but then I realized the live chat help is really limited. I was often instructed to submit a ticket or e-mail them with my issues instead.

Sorry to hear about your poor experiences.

well that is pretty crappy. Ive never heard of raid 1 failing like that. Partitons going read only is a sign the drive is about to go. I would bet that they just reloaded the server on the same drive you used to have that failed if it is doing the same exact thing again. Either that or something is seriously wrong with their raid controller.

this being said, hardware problems happen. Looks like they at least tried. now if they did put back the old drive and just reloaded it, that is pretty shady otherwise it looks like just a run of bad luck. If you host long enough you will find out hard drives fail no matter what company you are with.

Good luck in future

Was this hardware or software raid? Raid isn't fullproof and this is something that happens with it but im unsure of how they came to their conclusion.
    James Paul Woods
    Operations Manager
    HostKitty Internet Services

There's like a chain of hosts isn't there? BodHost seem to have similar pricing and they use the same LivePerson URL w/departments as Micfo, WEHOSTING.UK.COM and one other that I can't remember.

I've never fully understood it and never wanted to order from either because they don't have custom packages available.

Quote Originally Posted by felosi View Post
    well that is pretty crappy. Ive never heard of raid 1 failing like that. Partitons going read only is a sign the drive is about to go. I would bet that they just reloaded the server on the same drive you used to have that failed if it is doing the same exact thing again. Either that or something is seriously wrong with their raid controller.

this being said, hardware problems happen. Looks like they at least tried. now if they did put back the old drive and just reloaded it, that is pretty shady otherwise it looks like just a run of bad luck. If you host long enough you will find out hard drives fail no matter what company you are with.

Good luck in future
    Yeah - I have 5 dedicated servers and about 10 VPSs with other providers so, like I said, I know hardware problems happens.

But there are too many coincidences here. And they all resolve in their favor financially.

Astoundingly, they still wouldn't refund that months payment.

I just put this post up as one mans warning. these guys are a bad trip.

Quote Originally Posted by woods01 View Post
    Was this hardware or software raid? Raid isn't fullproof and this is something that happens with it but im unsure of how they came to their conclusion.
    I'm also wanting to know, because if your paying $20 for software raid. I'm sorry to tell you this, your getting ripped off.

Quote Originally Posted by AHN-Andrew View Post
    I'm also wanting to know, because if your paying $20 for software raid. I'm sorry to tell you this, your getting ripped off.
    Hardware - and it's 20 GBP, not USD, which is pretty standard for uk managed.

I'm sorry to hear that, you'd better stop the contract and ask for a refund.

Wow, well it seems you have got bad luck with the host and/or hardware.

I have heard providers say both drives crashed at the same time (which is possible, but very unlikely).

Quote Originally Posted by underduck View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that, you'd better stop the contract and ask for a refund.
    I did both - canceled my subscription (and account) and requested a refund.

That's when they came back and told me a refund wasn't possible but I could have a month's credit.

Since I really did need a dev server for a month anyways (which I've since got elsewhere) I took the free month.

I wasn't happy about it, but I was sick of emailing them so I just folded and took it.

That's when I found the /usr issue was still there on the "new HDD" and I wigged out.

I did request a refund again after that but I haven't had a response.

Well, I wasn't expecting an easy time with these guys, but I sure as hell wasn't expecting this.

I've used "[]" to replace my employer's name as well as the name of the imbecile who sent this email. If they want to dispute the veracity of this, I will post full headers for the emails.

My first inclination was to let this go at my response below, but the more I thought about, the more p.o'd I got.

Am I the only person who received this type of threat from these clowns?

from [email protected] <[email protected]>
    reply-to "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
    to david@[]
    date Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 10:50 PM
    subject [Ticket #GJU-49650-143]: Attn Shane M
    mailed-by server.supportdepartment.net

hide details Aug 28 (1 day ago)

Hello David,

All of your issues will be resolved. I can assure that. However, if you DO NOT remove that thread from WHT, we will have to report you to "Bear" from WHT and tell him that you are based in Israel and your company name is [ ] UK LTD which is basically ILLEGAL in law. Now, in order to co-operate, i would request you to delete the thread from WHT and i will make sure all issues are sorted from here.

We can work on a deal here.

Regards,

[]

from David <david@>
    to "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
    date Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 11:08 PM
    subject Re: [Ticket #GJU-49650-143]: Attn Shane M
    mailed-by [ ].com

hide details 11:08 PM (1 hour ago)

Hi -

Well, this is rather exciting. I can't say I've been the recipient of blackmail before.

From what I have seen in the movies, isn't blackmail is usually done via phone or hand-written notes, not via the blackmailer's company email account? How very odd.

Anyways....

If you have evidence (or even suspicion) that [ ] Ltd., or any other company, has behaved illegally, the proper place to report this would be the UK tax authorities and Companies House.

In fact, while I am hardly an expert in corporate law, I'm pretty certain that failure to do so could expose you to legal peril.

I'm not sure who "Bear" is but, by all means, feel free to report this to him/her as well.

Upon making your report, however, you'll find that [ ] is, in fact, a UK registered LTD ([ ]) which is owned and operated by the [ ] family of London. Please see http://www.[ ]/about.htm.

While I was one of the original co-founders of the company several years ago (then called [], a sole proprietorship), I have long since sold it to the [ ] family and been relegated to the status of (under-payed) developer/employee.

Part of my responsibilities include selecting and provisioning of servers for hosting. One of these servers, unfortunately, was leased from Bodhost. As it was my selection, I now have the onerous task of corresponding with you.

Please simply do what should have been done 2 months ago and refund the 119 GPB we payed to you for a server that was inoperable for the month of September, along with the RAID fees we have payed to your company (20 GBP per month).

Had you done so when we originally made this entirely reasonable request last month, you might have avoided this entire episode.

Finally, should I receive any further correspondence from yourself or anyone at Boshost suggesting that I be party to concealing illegal activity (real or imagined), I will report it as required under law.

Shane - please stop being stop being silly and making ridiculous threats. I'm going on the assumption here that your email was simply poorly worded and was not an attempt at balckmail. I will not be so chartible in my interpretation going forward.

Regards,
    David

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzServers-J View Post
    BodHost is UK or USA based? They can't legally sell to Israel can they!?
    uhhh...I think you may be confusing Israel with North Korea or some such....

I'm sorry if it may not have been very clear above, but my part-time employer, whom the OP from Bodhost is referring to above, is a UK company. I work for them a few hours a month.

Sometimes from London, sometimes from ISR.

I placed an order for a server back in Feb from Tel Aviv.

So the OP from bodhost is making some kind of threat to report the company to WHT (?!) because it's a British company but I ordered the server while in Israel (where I work under contract at my full time job for another company).

If he would have checked the UK reg he would have seen that I don't own the company and never have. It's a UK company owned by UK people. I had just had the grave misfortune of selecting Bodhost for this particular project.

I used the ISR address when ordering because that is where I was when I placed the order. What other address would I use?

Anyways, my point here is what kind of hosting company threatens customers like this?

If he really thought for a minute that something weird was going on, he would/should go to the UK tax authorities/Companies House or what have you.

Instead, he makes this silly, ill-conceived threat because he knows he's blowing hot air.

In the entire course of this, I did not receive a single email from the sales dept offering to rectify this in a normal way.

Just this stupid, ham-handed threat.

I don't understand that threat at all... would be interesting to see Bodhost's reply in this thread, since obviously they know it exists.
    EQHosting - Experience the Difference
    Web Hosting - Game Servers - Ventrilo Servers - Dedicated Servers
    █ 24/7 Support - Instant Setup - 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    EQHosting.com - Twitter

Bear is one of the moderators here. I doubt he will do anything about it.

If that email is correct, then they should really be ashamed of themselves, that is no way to deal with an issue.

As for deleting the thread, you can not, you can contact a moderator and ask them to remove it, but, from my understanding, they very rarely will. Also, why should you.

Bodhost know about this thread then, so why have they not come here and explain their side of the story?

Anyway, sorry to hear about your problems with them.
    Hosting Community Talk - A new community orientated Webhosting discussion, guides, and industry news forum. Why not JOIN TODAY!
    My North Wales - A Community/Tourism discussion forum for residents and visitors to North Wales, United Kingdom.

Quote Originally Posted by EQHosting View Post
    I don't understand that threat at all... would be interesting to see Bodhost's reply in this thread, since obviously they know it exists.
    I'm not sure I understand entirely either....

It **seems** that that because I placed the order from ISR back in February, the OP thought he had something to threaten with me with (i.e. he didn't bother to look up the company registration and see I'm not the company owner so he thought I was just some guy in israel masquerading as a UK company).

What I do understand with perfect clarity is that (understandably)they were unhappy with this thread.

So, instead of contacting me and saying "ok, we really botched this, let's get this resolved...." (and who the h- doesn't make mistakes, I make them ever day) they send me this bizzaro threat.

And this was all AFTER I accepted the free month with the "new HDD", which, it seems, was still the old HDD reloaded.

I wasn't expecting them to publicly flog themselves.

I don't get any pleasure out of lambasting a host, for all I know I'm the only person who has had a bad experience with them. I truly hope this is the case.

But you can't reload the same HDD on me twice, tell me it's fixed/new, and then send me threatening emails when I lodge a complaint with the billing department.

Oh man, I'm sorry I ever heard of these guys....

Wow, that's all I can say...
    Wow!

I would never remove this thread from the forum.

Many ppl come to this website, as everybody know, and ppl should know about companies like this.

There is many 'innocent' ppl or ppl who are not into hosting much *new ppl* and they in my opinion should know that companies like this exist, and should stay away from them.

I see that company is very unprofessional and i hope that they never again sell any server\hosting plan.

I just hope you get your money back.

Thanks,
    s-f-r-j

I haven't heard much about 'BodHost' either positive or negative. I hope your new web hosting provider will meet your standards and you will be more satisfied with their service. Thanks for the review and best of luck to you!
    We develop brand identity for the web.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Services ~ Custom Web Design, Branding & Identity, Development, Hosting & more!
    Portfolio ~ Websites, User Interfaces, Widgets & more!

Ive been with bodhost and i must agree with you on their customer service and their ability to con members of the public.

Been there done that...

Dom

Well, I a Live Chat today to check the status of my ticket. The email above, astoundingly, was actually part of the ticket thread.

It seems that the person who sent the email is none other than the Sales Manager.

It actually did have his title on the email, but I figured it was one of those titles they give to everyone so customers feel like they are dealing with the top man.

Oddly, I wasn't sent a copy of Live Chat transcript.

I'm genuinely surprised that they haven't responded either to this thread or to my ticket.

I don't spam them or chat them all day. I have just been doing one Live Chat before bed each evening to check the ticket status.

I suppose at some point they will need to respond.

Heya Dashmass,

Its a one person show. You are not lucky enough to get a sales manager.

I would suggest moving to a hosting provider who knows what they are doing. BodHost are good for small fish however if you need reliable hosting you wont get it from them in my experience with them.

Live support there is almost useless. If you ask to speak to a Technical Support person they will always make you go through sales.

I suppose at some point they will need to respond
    Not true. They like to keep people waiting whilst they sit on their a**es earning of decent folk.

Where is Shane?

Well, fraud and blackmail allegations not withstanding, it seems the Sales Manager Shane thought this an ideal time for a holiday.

Or, just perhaps, I'm being blown off.

The following is a transcript of your chat session.

General Info
    Chat start time Aug 31, 2009 3:44:03 PM EST
    Chat end time Aug 31, 2009 3:50:49 PM EST
    Duration (actual chatting time) 00:06:45
    Operator Matt
    Chat Transcript
    info: Please wait for a site operator to respond.
    info: You are now chatting with 'Matt'
    Matt: Hello and Welcome to Live Chat Support.
    Matt: How may I assist you today ?
    David: Hi - I would like to know the status of Ticket #GJU-49650-143 please.
    Matt: Let me check
    David: ok
    Matt: Thank you
    Matt: It has been flagged to our Sales Manager
    Matt: He is on leave
    Matt: Once he is here, he will reply to you
    David: he's on leave?
    Matt: He is not here since 2 days
    David: how very odd.
    David: And when might Shane be expected back?
    Matt: I am not sure
    David: I see.
    David: OK - I will update my thread in WHT and try back tomorrow.
    Matt: Ok
    David: Thanks Matt, have a good evening.
    Matt: You are welcome
    David: Bye.
    Matt: You too
    Matt: Bye
    Well, I won't actually clog the forum with updates.

If something does get resolved one way or the other, I'll update this thread.

I've starting lodging complaints about the threats and the (apparently) fraudulent service in a few places and will continue to do so.

Well, I hope this spares others from making the same mistake I did in choosing bodhost.

coda

OK - here is the outcome:

I received a letter from the company director that went step-by-step through each issue I raised with them and stated their position on each issue.

A letter I would have like to have received a month ago and that would have avoided this whole thread.

They stand by the RAID configuration. I can't continue to reasonably argue this point as RAID does fail (it's not like it's mathematically impossible so I saw no point in pursuing it).

I was provided with a refund for my final month of hosting with them, during which all of the above occured.

While I should have received this letter a month ago, in the end, he did provide a refund for the service issues and a lucid and reasonable account of each issue I raised and where they stood on each in terms of both policy and perspective.

I didn't agree with a lot of what he had to say, but the outcome was reasonable enough.

So, that's that.