Looking for a Windows host with the following criteria...

Hello,

I am looking for a Windows host and I'm very glad I found WHT because there are -SO MANY- scam hosting review sites.

Here are my requirements:
    - 15-20GB storage
    - 50-75GB bandwidth
    - ASP.NET with AJAX
    - SQL Server but -not mandatory-
    - The ability to create FTP user with custom permissions (i.e. read-only access). That seems to be rare among Windows providers. True?
    - Great uptime obviously
    - Cost of around 10-15$/month. Is that possible?

I read about Softsys Hosting and ReliableSite which seem to be great but unfortunately, what they offer is a bit short of what I need. Shame.

I tried GoDaddy which seemed to offer everything I needed for a low cost but there is no way for me to create FTP users with read-only access to their home directory. This is a deal breaker for me unfortunately.

The site would be using almost no CPU/RAM as it would serve primarily as an FTP server (serving legit content obviously).

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

May I offer a possible solution? Why not password protected HTTP access for your download files? Why specifically FTP if it's read-only?
    Applied Innovations (www.appliedi.net)
    Microsoft Gold Certified Hosting Partner, ASP.net Featured Host.
    Specializing in Windows Hosting since 1999.

Oh, HTTP transfer would be -way- more convenient, I totally agree with you. We're just trying to do with a legacy software that badly needs to be rewritten. In the meantime, it connects via FTP. :\

Quote Originally Posted by Shakkan View Post
    Oh, HTTP transfer would be -way- more convenient, I totally agree with you. We're just trying to do with a legacy software that badly needs to be rewritten. In the meantime, it connects via FTP. :\
    Ahh.. totally understand. I thought it might have just been live users and not an application.

Read-only FTP is definitely available from some hosts. Where I think you'd have a problem is the amount of storage you need for the price point you're looking at. I think most of the companies offering that much space at that price will typically be heavily oversold. Granted, in your case that wont matter much as you simply need the storage space and not a bunch of site performance. I don't know of anyone off hand that I can recommend.

Good luck though and post what you're able to find. Will probably help someone else.

I tried GoDaddy which seemed to offer everything I needed for a low cost but there is no way for me to create FTP users with read-only access to their home directory. This is a deal breaker for me unfortunately.
    Let me check that out. To be clear, you want to create a special directory for each user and have them ftp to that directory to download material?

Quote Originally Posted by Collabora View Post
    Let me check that out. To be clear, you want to create a special directory for each user and have them ftp to that directory to download material?
    Hi,

Basically, it's only 1 FTP user that needs read-only access. The web site part serves for initial authentication. Once authenticated, the web site returns the FTP information to our client software (located on the customer machine) and that software will automatically connect to the FTP to retrieve the requested files.

After calling GoDaddy today, not only was I told that it's impossible for them to set a home directory read-only (even for 1 user only), but also that I would violate the TOS and would get my site shut down because the files being served by FTP are not directly part of the web site.

...bummer. I'll need to cancel the GoDaddy account. Not only that but also most shared hosting accounts would probably shut me down because that I do in fact need file hosting along with web hosting. I don't need a lot of storage (like 15-20GB) and would probably need around 75GB/month of bandwidth.

Any suggestions besides a very expensive VPS (which is overkill for our usage IMO).

Thanks!

After calling GoDaddy today, not only was I told that it's impossible for them to set a home directory read-only (even for 1 user only), but also that I would violate the TOS and would get my site shut down because the files being served by FTP are not directly part of the web site.
    !
    I double-checked and could not find a way to do it. If vps is not an option you will need to find a host with a control panel that allows you to configure NTFS permissions (or host that will manually do it for you). As far as the TOS is concerned, you can probably get away with what you are doing. Its just a way to protect themselves from people using the web servers for backups, archiving, sharing mp3s, etc. Hosts that offer unlimited or very large disk quotas will slip that into TOS.

Good Luck!

Try to find a host that uses Helm for a control panel. I know with Helm 3 you can set an FTP user to a specific directory (in or outside wwwroot) and give them read-only access. I'm pretty sure that Helm 4 does this as well, but I don't know for 100% sure.

Your best bet is going to be looking for smaller hosts who are willing to work with you and your needs. The FTP thing really (in my mind) isn't a big issue and neither is the bandwidth. However, it's also going to be the smaller hosts who'll probably have a hard time allocating 15GB of space for $15/month.

You're kind of stuck in an awkward place and I too would suggest a VPS if you can find something even around $30/month. I tried doing some searches for you and couldn't find anyone around that price range with anything more than 10GB space.

Up your budget and get a VPS account. Solves everything.