zanyhost review?

Does anyone have a recent review for Zanyhost. I found one from 5 months ago and looking for something more recent. Can't say I'm impressed so far as no reply to my presales email but its only been 8 hours so far or so

Sales is not manned 24/7, only our support area for current clients is.
    I am sure someone will be in contact soon.
    Kind Regards,
    Tom

p.s. sure some of our clients will leave you some reviews
    Last edited by iTom; 08-26-2009 at 11:18 AM.
    BotWars.io - Code the AI of your Battle Bot!

From presales I've decided to skip this company as I'm been left far from impressed

Sorry to hear that.
    Kind Regards,
    Tom

If you have any more questions you can contact me directly on the email in my signature.

If you want to know why then I based it on the following.

You don't appear to know you legal requirements

You only replied when I posted here.

You stated on uk.webhostdir.com that you have 1000's of clients but you are doing less than 68,000 pound/yr as you are not VAT registered. As such you either have a really bad business model or nowhere near that number of clients.

I'm here to find a new host and not bash so I'm just going to vote with my $$ and look elsewhere

As we mentioned our Sales is not manned 24/7, after seeing your post I contacted a technical support member who was free and asked him to answer all emails in the sales inbox.

Now I understand that you required someone with legal knowledge and not a normal sales question such as "do you support ruby on rails" therefore I will make sure support staff don't answer similar emails in the future.

I am not going to release specific information about the company finances however I can say $110,000 is a large turn over for a budget hosting company selling services starting at $1.20 per month (5,000+ clients?).

I wish you the best of luck in finding a host more suitable to your requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by funkybucket View Post
    I'm here to find a new host and not bash so I'm just going to vote with my $$ and look elsewhere
    Sounds like the opposite. You are a brand new user with 3 posts, all regarding ZanyHost. 8 hours for a sales turnaround isn't unheard of. I'd expect a response within 12-24 hours, and even then I wouldn't run to an online forum complaining about it. Even then, coming back and airing your pre-sales grievances is unprofessional and is asking for an argument rather than seeking resolution or moving on.

Wish you the best of luck finding a host. IMO, ZanyHost might be lucky in this case.
    Ken Robertson | Linked Labs | linkedlabs.com

For what it is worth, I have had very good experience with zanyhost. I have a 512mb XEN VPS running centos 5.x 64bit. So far, so (really) good (uptime 9 days). The distro image is/was barebones, but yum is your friend :-)

1. Prompt order processing. The VPS was ready for action within 20 minutes of payment. The techs addressed my specific requests correctly.

2. A service which just works - the way Linux is supposed to - and quite responsive.

I think these guys know what they are doing, although I have never had to contact tech support (and long may it remain that way!)

I will try to give a fuller review after a month or so, but I think this one is a keeper.

My Experience

I signed up with Zany at the beginning of month, and so far I'm quite happy with them. There was a little hickup in the beginning with a corrupted image, but since then things have been smooth. There tech support I found to be extreemly responsive. There was an odd hickup in which my ip got added to hosts.deny (not sure why as of yet..but I'm no linux expert so may have done it myself accidentally when setting up the firewall) Also since I signed up I got some bonus where my bandwidth is now double from my original sign on.

As far as I'm concerned I'm a happy camper. (I'm only running 1 linux vps atm).

for those interested my website: www.borrownet.com which is hosted by them.

Thanks for the kind reviews

Just so people know we do aim to setup VPS's fast like zorrofx, but they can and do sometimes take up to 12 hours.
    Just want to make sure people don't expect something we don't do.

Hey Tom you there? I have a problem. Answer if you see this post.

My Zanyhost review (2 months paid)

I am pleased of ZanyHost.

Tech support is competent, but they do take their time to address your inquiry (perhaps from having to deal with too many users??).

So you better have patience with them and they will have patience with you.

Usman Ilahi from Zanyhost has been very patient with me when I asked to change/reinstall linux distribution several times. He even setup a backup VPS in case data move would go wrong.

I was given my files and database in this freshly mounted VPS for me to wget, so I can tell you I was very pleased I didn't had to download and re-upload them. That was a very nice gesture and it was very appreciated.

Data transfer speed has been great. Flawless network uptime. TelX datacenter in Atlanta.

I am in for being a long-term Zanyhost customer (and I have bounced around several providers, so I'm very glad I found them).

Kind regards and hope the review thread continues to grow.

Victor

Thank you for the review. Its what users like to read when searching for a new host.

Well I hate to be the spoiler, BUT, I had to discontinue service with them. Last week they had a network outage that lasted almost an entire day and even their website was down. I assumed they were delinquent on their **** cogent bill. The next day they were back online but they disabled my control panel (LXAdmin). Mind you that they gave me zero notice. Upon support ticket they acknowledged that, and only that. They did nothing to re-enable it, nor provide me with an alternative cp.

Earlier on when I first signed up for the 512 they were having a terrible time keeping their servers online and I almost discontinued back then, but I decided to give them a third chance. Things went well for almost 100 days then BOOM! Nothing, then back up but without a control panel.

When I inquired about fetching my databases off the server the response was "Even though you don't have access to the control panel you can still access phpmyadmin." As if I knew the addy to that on the top of my head you brainiacs!

In the end, they were perfectly willing to acknowledge the problems but they offered absolutely no solutions. I got the "your screwed, too bad for you" impression. Very bad service if you ask me.

So in the end I am stuck with everything crammed on my box at steadfast and need to find a new vps. Folks, if your doing business with these people, please be aware that something might go wrong and you are going to be left hanging until they get around to replying to your ticket (not 24-7), and you might even end up in my boat, totally screwed.

Please try to avoid at all costs.

-S
    Last edited by SkrUbaLL; 10-05-2009 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Speeling

Please try to avoid at all costs.
    Seems to be a tough time for them
    █ All time best VPS Hosting is now more affordable
    █ Compare different VPS hosting Providers
    █ Ultimate place for Top VPS Hosting Comparison
    █ Reviews | Ratings | News | Articles | Forum | Offers

Hello SkrUbaLL,

I am moving from Zanyhost too.

Sadly they do have presented recurrent downtime this month and my users have complained.

On the bright side, they do offer 100Mbps connectivity. I did wget files from my former host and the opportunity to check the speed goes beyond the 10Mbps mark.

please be aware that something might go wrong and you are going to be left hanging until they get around to replying to your ticket (not 24-7)
    Effectively, their support is not 24/7, but they do help when they answer to you.

Well, I did get desperate sometimes and sent a couple tickets twice. My advice is to only contact the technical department, as it seems they keep techs there for a reasonable amount of time throughout the day.

____

If you need an unmanaged Server/VPS which you expect to install and manage yourself, their prices are very fair.

Regards.

Sounds like ZanyHost is having a hard time. I've been browsing their website and I see nothing about SLA (Server Level Agreement). Perhaps if you speak directly with one of their Representatives they would be willing to work out the downtime issues and provide credit to your account. This is just a suggestion; couldn't hurt to ask. Best of luck!
    We develop brand identity for the web.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Services ~ Custom Web Design, Branding & Identity, Development, Hosting & more!
    Portfolio ~ Websites, User Interfaces, Widgets & more!

Hello Lindi,

They are a good host, it is the downtime issue what is not making them good at the moment (I hope it is only temporary).

Also when giving it a thought about what to expect from support, I guess people must understand that "unmanaged" means the technical aspect of software configuration is supposed to be handled by the buyer; only the hardware setup is the actual responsibility of the host, so the support inquiries should be: "my site is not responding to ping" and not "how to configure XYZ apache module".

By the way, I must tell they did configure some software for me without asking for extra payment, including handling a backup in between my requested OS reinstall from CentOS to Debian. They kindly held the backup of my data and allowed me to perform wget from the former centos setup to the new Debian one.

Tom has been helpful in more than one occasion. Usman Ilahi has been proficient too. So in this regard I'm leaving a satisfied customer.

Kind regards.

Quote Originally Posted by VictorSenior View Post
    Hello Lindi,

They are a good host, it is the downtime issue what is not making them good at the moment (I hope it is only temporary).

Also when giving it a thought about what to expect from support, I guess people must understand that "unmanaged" means the technical aspect of software configuration is supposed to be handled by the buyer; only the hardware setup is the actual responsibility of the host, so the support inquiries should be: "my site is not responding to ping" and not "how to configure XYZ apache module".

By the way, I must tell they did configure some software for me without asking for extra payment, including handling a backup in between my requested OS reinstall from CentOS to Debian. They kindly held the backup of my data and allowed me to perform wget from the former centos setup to the new Debian one.

Tom has been helpful in more than one occasion. Usman Ilahi has been proficient too. So in this regard I'm leaving a satisfied customer.

Kind regards.
    For all intensive purposes Tom and company have nothing but good intentions, but they lack on the support end. I understand what "unmanaged" is about, but they are responsible for the functional aspect of the box itself running properly as well as keeping the network online.

If they get their stuffs together then I would say that they are under charging people. If they didn't incur all of these outages they would be one of the best deals on the net.

They are new to the scene. I gave them extra chances because of that despite the numerous pm's I received from other members. In the future, when I am not completely broke no thanks to the Michigan court system, I would give them another chance if I see positive reviews, but for now, they are on the same list as gameservers.com (their support is absolutely disgraceful).

If you have any problems you can email me admin@zanyhost.com, I am always happy to help! if you can include support ticket numbers.
    Note = Support should be done through support tickets as I can't check email 24/7

I would like to thank people for the reviews, we are always interested to see what people think about the company even if its not so bright as we can then look at making things better!

We have been around for over a year now and it has been a pleasure hosting all of our clients.

Sorry that you found our support to be not as good as you would have liked.

Like others have said we are an unmanaged host therefore if you can get an SSH prompt your technically then on your own, however if you create a support ticket and its a fairly simple task like installing software we will normally do it at no charge.

I am not sure what you mean by "all of these outages", in the past few months we have had only two service problems with a hard drive failure on one openvz server and a ddos attack on part of the network, these didn't effect over 75% of our clients seems you must have been in the small percentage effected.

There are are alot of new changes comming soon, with a new website, raid backup solutions, new packages, new control panels and even ultra cheap fully managed vps's (maybe even free!!!!)

Thanks everyone!

We are referring to network outages. As for "unmanaged" does that include shutting down LX and ignoring the problem and basically telling the customer they are out of luck? Any other provider I have been with would NEVER even conceive the idea of shutting off promised services as vital as a control panel and NOT bother to notify the customer nor provide any information as to WHY the service was suspended..

Thanks for the reply though. Excuses and future aganda's aren't going to make things any better for you if you continue with th outages and lack of even the minimal support such as "my server is down" not to mention taking a day or so to respond/act on the mentioned problems. You need to be a little more dedicated to your customers.

-S

All functions that were done in the control panel can now be done via support tickets as explained in the emails we sent out, also the new control panel will be on-line in the next 48 hours everything will then back to be the high quality as before .

Quote Originally Posted by SkrUbaLL View Post
    We are referring to network outages. As for "unmanaged" does that include shutting down LX and ignoring the problem and basically telling the customer they are out of luck? Any other provider I have been with would NEVER even conceive the idea of shutting off promised services as vital as a control panel and NOT bother to notify the customer nor provide any information as to WHY the service was suspended..

Thanks for the reply though. Excuses and future aganda's aren't going to make things any better for you if you continue with th outages and lack of even the minimal support such as "my server is down" not to mention taking a day or so to respond/act on the mentioned problems. You need to be a little more dedicated to your customers.

-S

Quote Originally Posted by ZanyHost View Post
    All functions that were done in the control panel can now be done via support tickets as explained in the emails we sent out, also the new control panel will be on-line in the next 48 hours everything will then back to be the high quality as before .
    You are missing the point. First off I didn't receive any correspondence regarding any of that you mentioned. Also, if I had to do something as simple as adding a client I would have to put in a support ticket and then wait a day to have that account added? This is a vps we are talking about correct? Shared hosting sure, but not a vps for God's sakes.

Oh well, this conversation is mute. I moved on, you are improving things. Good luck on your endeavors and may you prosper. I'll watch this thread for another 6 months and see where it goes and in the future who knows, I might come back.

-S
    Last edited by SkrUbaLL; 10-24-2009 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Speeling

My short experience with ZanyHost was not positive. Their sign-up page for Xen hosting advertised automated provisioning and solusvm. After signing up my host was not provisioned until I filed a ticket. After that I was informed that provisioning for Xen was manual. It took them more than an hour total to get my system provisioned. I then queried them as to how to access solusvm, and was informed that they didn't have it.

Thankfully their refund was prompt, so I can't fault them too badly. However, this was an irritating waste of time that I could have spent deploying on a host that suited my needs.