Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Looking for web host

My web site is just a hobby for me. I use it for mostly family stuff.
    My current web host charged me $50.00 a year for 300 MB of space. I have been searching for something better. I have found one that charges $45.00 per year with unlimited space which sounds kind of fishy to me.
    Any thoughts regarding this?
    Bob

Proceed with caution on unlimited, for your space requirements your budget should be fine though. That being said, with your space requirements in relation to unlimited you would also be fine.

Yeh unlimited is dodgy.
    Unmetered is ok sometimes on bandwidth but not unlimited.
    Stay well away and look for a decent price host that doesn't oversell.
    BotWars.io - Code the AI of your Battle Bot!

How much disk space do you actually use or think you will use? $50 per year (averaging $4.00 per month - which is a decent price) for 300mb space must mean the provider you're currently with doesn't oversell much at all.

If you believe you'll be needing more disk space but find that your current provider is too pricey to upgrade then perhaps finding a new host is a good option to cut down some costs. However, many people here along with myself will advise you to stay away from most unlimited offers as you'll likely to suffer from poor quality service. If you're not having any real issues with your current provider I would suggest you stick with them.

Contact web host's that offer personalised packages and you might be able to get a proper cheap package like $0.90 a month. But you have to look around for these.
    Garbott Ltd - Exceptional web development, hosting & consultancy services

Quote Originally Posted by choppbobby View Post
    My web site is just a hobby for me. I use it for mostly family stuff.
    My current web host charged me $50.00 a year for 300 MB of space. I have been searching for something better. I have found one that charges $45.00 per year with unlimited space which sounds kind of fishy to me.
    Any thoughts regarding this?
    Bob
    You may be able to get a customized package, but you can also get quite a nice amount of space (1-2GB) with no overselling for half of what you're paying annually now, and this will allow nicely for growth as well. Avoid Unlimited packages, especially cheap ones.

Thanks everyone for your replies and opinions.
    Bob

If you think its relible, have a go. Check the feedback. Look at the comparisons. Check any quotes etc. Give it a try.

Thanks.
    I'm still trying to decide which host to go with.
    The replies to this thread have been very helpful.
    Bob

Have you tried to contact to your host? maybe they can offer you a better plan if you're interested in stay with them.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

$45.00 per year with unlimited space is provided by many providers with thousands of clients, so it is not fishy.

I have found one that charges $45.00 per year with unlimited space which sounds kind of fishy to me.
    There will indeed be an indirect way of putting a stop to your space usage (be it inodes, restrictions on the type of content you may host etc.), but chances are you'll be able to use a lot more than 300MB. That's really nothing in this day and age. Just make sure that the host you go for has a good reputation and stable servers.

$50 per year (averaging $4.00 per month - which is a decent price) for 300mb space must mean the provider you're currently with doesn't oversell much at all.
    It means that the provider could afford to oversell in a very limited manner or not at all, but it's not a guarantee of it. Let a number of hosts have a server used at 10% of its capacity for 3 years, and by the end of that period a good many of them will just add more accounts to the server. Overselling is not dangerous when it's not a requirement for profitability.

Quote Originally Posted by bentink View Post
    $45.00 per year with unlimited space is provided by many providers with thousands of clients, so it is not fishy.
    Actually no matter how many providers offer it, it's always going to be fishy because it's not "real" but is instead a marketing tactic/gimmick.

Most hosting customers will never use more then a few gigs of space at most and 10~50gb/transfer in my experiences which is just fine for most "unlimited" plans and even plans that aren't unlimited.

It's when a person tries to use 2tb of data and 5tb of transfer that they usually run into problems with an unlimited provider. (Arbitrary large numbers)
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Fatcow and others provide it, they are well established and you cant say them fishy.

The person may get into problem after using 2TB but a limited hosting provider will not allow 2TB in the first place.

Fatcow and others provide it, they are well established and you cant say them fishy.
    I didn't say that the provider was fishy, I am saying that an "unlimited" plan is in and of itself fishy simply due to the fact that there is no such thing as an unlimited hard drive and that there is always a limit even if they don't disclose it to you.

The person may get into problem after using 2TB but a limited hosting provider will not allow 2TB in the first place.
    What I am saying is that if you were to try to use a large amount of space (more than the average web site/consumer/client) you're going to run into issues. 2tb was an arbitrary number - it could be 100gb or 50gb of even 10gb before you run into problems at an unlimited provider - it varies from provider to provider.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

My little web site is nearing 400 MB of data, exclusively HTML,CSS, and JPGs.
    It has taken about 3 years to get this far, so I will never use the unlimited space, but I will know that I won't have to be careful about what I upload to the host.
    Bob

You should be fine with whoever you choose, seeing as how your requirements are minimal. Just shop around for the best deal with a reliable host and that's about it. You should be all set, unlimited or not, it's all good.

As mentioned above, because your requirements are very minimal in today's world of web hosting, you should be fine at any company you choose. However make sure you choose a company that is pretty solid that you can trust.

Some companies will take your money and close the next day. So don't pay a year up front if you are considering it. Pay monthly for at least six months to see how it goes. Then maybe consider a yearly payment. Also always keep updated backups of your site and files in case you find that one day your host disappears.

Are there any companies you are currently considering?

Bob,

How much would your current web host charge to upgrade to a larger package with more disk space?
    What's your budget?

Seriously, what's your budget?

Seems like you put your pricing as the top priority for considering you new host. How bout you focus on the features and the type of supports that you might receive from the hosting provider that suites your website requirements?
    Which country of target of visitors might help you to decide for which hosting data center as well.

Quote Originally Posted by choppbobby View Post
    My little web site is nearing 400 MB of data, exclusively HTML,CSS, and JPGs.
    It has taken about 3 years to get this far, so I will never use the unlimited space, but I will know that I won't have to be careful about what I upload to the host.
    Bob
    I assume you are not looking for having a deal with the scamers? If so I would recommend you avoid unlimited space offers.
    ASPnix Web Hosting - ASP.NET, MS SQL, AJAX, Hyper-V
    Microsoft Hosting and Virtualization

Run away from any host offering UNLIMITED, its a fairy tale.

Have you tried speaking with your host? Make a list of what you like about your host and what improvements you expect and want, if the only thing you want is a better price perhaps if you have been a loyal good paying client for awhile, then they will want to retain your business.

Quote Originally Posted by CaroMark View Post
    Run away from any host offering UNLIMITED, its a fairy tale.

Have you tried speaking with your host? Make a list of what you like about your host and what improvements you expect and want, if the only thing you want is a better price perhaps if you have been a loyal good paying client for awhile, then they will want to retain your business.
    I assume that is time wasting to have a conversation with such kind web hosting service providers, unless you would like to have a fun
    ASPnix Web Hosting - ASP.NET, MS SQL, AJAX, Hyper-V
    Microsoft Hosting and Virtualization

try infrenion.com, you will never regret . trust me

Well it's a good price $45/yr. I checked a lot of hosting providers and still test them for our company's software compatibility and this price is not so high especially if it goes with minimum 500 mb of the disk space, minimum 50 GB bandwidth and 24/7 support. Yes it's better to focus on the service itself then go with cheap price as someone recommended above.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast