Question What the heck is this???

Hoping somebody here can clear this up for me. I just got an email today... (I have pasted the email message below). Let's just say for example the domain name my business owns and has used for the past 9 years is applewebhosting.com (I don't want to post my real domain here so I changed it). The below email is saying somebody is wanting to register the keyword "applewebhosting".

I'm feeling pretty ignorant as I did not even know you could register actual keywords. I responded to that email and said I would NOT be fine with this... that's MY domain. How would you handle this... register the keyword yourself? If somebody else did register the keyword "applewebhosting" does that mean it really wouldn't pull up my site anymore on google with that keyword? Sorry I'm not very knowledgeable about this issue. I think that email message was bloody spam.

If somebody can please provide input? Thanks.

=============================
    Dear Sir/Madam

We are a internet service (software development, website design and development, wifi network works to promote the protection of brands, search engine optimization, etc.) company in China,

Several days ago we received a formal application submited by Robert Jong who wanted to use the keyword "applewebhosting" to register the Internet Brand and with

suffix .cn /.com.cn /.net.cn/.hk/ .asia/ domain names.

After our initial checking through Internet , we found that the keyword "applewebhosting" to be applied for registration is same as your keyword.Accordingly,before we finish his registration,we would like to get your final decision about this,whether you mind his registration,if you believe his registration would affect your bussiness and produce conflict,then we could give your priority to register them,as the keyword is first used by your company.However,if you do not think so,please advise of that and then we will finish his registration.

For proceeding the next step, Please contact us by Fax ,Telephone or Email as soon as possible. Under the circumstance of no your reply during the next 5 working days ,we will consider you to give it up and finish his registration.

Yours sincerely

Murphy

Checking Department
    Tel: 86 513 85330968
    Fax: 86 513 80260106
    Email:Murphy@wifinantong.com
    Mail No.:1921246

I'm pretty sure this is a spam/junk/scam email. Ignore it, I've seen a few pop up, and a couple of people posted about similar situations.

I just edited my first post to mention that I believe it was indeed spam. Now I fell even more of an idiot for responding to it.

But this is the first time I have heard of registering keyowrds... why on earth would anybody want to register a keyword? I';m not exactly sure I understand how that works. If I own the domain applewebhosting.com and somebody register the keyword "applewebhosting"... what would happen then?

Definitely just ignore it, scammers and spammers are a waste of valuable time.

They do not want to register the keyword, rather the domain name "applewebhosting" with the extensions listed.

The mail doesn't make any sense and is obviously a scammer whoever sent it to you. like others said, just ignore it and keep your concentration on your work.

I got the same message about my website <<snipped>>
    They also used the name Robert Jiang so this has to be a hoax.
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 09-23-2009 at 04:06 AM.

I've seen several of these for different domains. It's just a ploy to try and get you to register domain names with these people or something. I dumped the first few into my Spam folder and now they get filtered (yay for bayesian learning).
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

Sounds suspicious to me.

spam - get them all the time

That's pure spam...How can they register a keyword(read domain)that you already have? I thought it was something to do with trademark infringement.

If you e-mail back saying yes that is your trademark and you don't want them to sell the domains to that guy, they will try making you pay out the nose to have them yourself. I get these e-mails every week at work. Could have sworn I read about them here before.
    || Higher Intellect || Half a million documents and climbing.
    || OMGWTFBBQ || Nothing of value here.

Ah, SPAM! I get e-mails all the time related to web design and development. Well, if you know anything about me you will know I have my own Web Design and Development Agency. Silliness
    We develop brand identity for the web.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Services ~ Custom Web Design, Branding & Identity, Development, Hosting & more!
    Portfolio ~ Websites, User Interfaces, Widgets & more!