Organic food? Why so expensive?

Is there a real difference between organic food and the rest? How come they're significantly more expensive.

My wife keeps picking organic food when grocery shopping while I thought they taste the same, even much smaller in size

What makes it expensive?
    We Have Generated Over 7 Million cPanel Backups Come Dance Together With Us Y'all!
    Offer Your Own Backup Hosting Service - SiteAutoBackup.Com (Private Label / WHMCS Ready)
    WebHostingBusinessBook.Com | YouTube.com/WebHostingTutorial | NowOpenOnline.Com

It's more expensive because they produce less of it and it costs more to produce the product.

Probably there is also some price added just because people will pay more for something Organic.
    Larry Bly
    Sandbox IT Solutions, LLC.
    www.SandboxITSolutions.com
    Dedicated Servers - Web Hosting - Consulting Services

It is true because the costs of the production spend more than the regular food...

Some others say they are healthier than the regular food... Is this one true?
    My personal site - Dewi Natalia Wihardja
    Follow me at twitter ~ Dewi Wihardja

Quote Originally Posted by de_natalia1984 View Post
    It is true because the costs of the production spend more than the regular food...

Some others say they are healthier than the regular food... Is this one true?
    no pesticides no growth hormones and other stuff. It is healthier in that aspect but theres also the bugs that can live there since no pesticides are in use.
    Leader of the new anti sig spamming club.

Pesticides are organic

There are several reasons. First, it simply costs more to produce the food. For instance, rather than spraying with herbicides, etc., they have to manually pull weeds, etc. Plus the yields are usually smaller. Plus economies of scale create higher pricing due to more inefficient methods of gathering, storage and distribution. Hopefully as time goes on and more people buy organic, the cost will then go down due to more streamlined processes for getting food from farm to table.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by Collabora View Post
    Pesticides are organic
    But they also still have uneeded things in most of them and TRUE organic food does not have it.
    Leader of the new anti sig spamming club.

I think that a big part of the high price is that organic food is typically from smaller, local producers and they do not benefit from the same volume of sales.

My other theory is that organic food is trendy and people will pay more.
    Kyle Haynes - Limestone Networks - Director of Sales & Marketing
    Dedicated Server Hosting - Premium Network - Passionate Support - Fusion Reseller Platform
    Dallas Datacenter - Unmanaged and Managed Services - Intel Sandy Bridge Now Available!
    @LimestoneInc - Dedicated Server - 877.586.0555 x126

Its kinda like putting "no overselling" on a web site
    Last edited by Collabora; 08-26-2009 at 11:21 AM.

Actually the misconception with alot of the organic idea is the fact that people think that no chemicals are used.

Chemicals are used but only certain ones can be used and you have to prove that you have x weed in order to spray for x weed. There are many rules and regulations but it is certainly not free from chemicals. They certainly do not pull weeds by hand; or at least not here in the UK - some fields are hundreds of acres there is no way it could be hand picked.

I have never understood the reasoning behind Organic being more expensive when it is physically more expensive to grow normal crop due to a whole range of chemicals that need to be used to grow a thick and good yielding crop.

( My uncle is a large contract farmer here in the UK so I know quite alot about the farming industry )

You are better off starting a small garden and growing your own organic produce. It's cheaper and you control every chemical. Sure it takes time, but it's rewarding too.

Quote Originally Posted by RelicHostCom View Post
    I have never understood the reasoning behind Organic being more expensive when it is physically more expensive to grow normal crop due to a whole range of chemicals that need to be used to grow a thick and good yielding crop.
    True, there is a direct material cost of pesticides, herbicides, etc. when producing conventional food. However, that is substantially offset by the additional costs of producing organic crop on a (usually) much smaller scale. Economy of scale alone drives the price up.

Post-harvest handling of relatively small quantities of organic foods results in higher costs because organic and conventional produce must be separated for processing and transportation.

Plus, as far as I know, in the UK, do conventional farmers not receive considerable govt subsidies, whereas organic farmers do not?
    ( My uncle is a large contract farmer here in the UK so I know quite alot about the farming industry )
    Cool. I look forward to your reply. If I'm wrong in my assumptions, I invite someone more knowledgeable to set me straight.

Hey, it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong. Actually, I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

^^ (That's one of my favorite blurbs)

Vito
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by Collabora View Post
    Pesticides are organic
    So is oil, doesnt mean I want it on my food...

They certainly do not pull weeds by hand; or at least not here in the UK - some fields are hundreds of acres there is no way it could be hand picked.
    Actually they do. In Texas, hispanics come up from the valley every season and hoe the fields. Entire families of them. They walk up and down the row chopping out the weeds, as well as killing snakes if needed. I know this because I used to be a foreman on a large farm, sometimes I would go do it with them. It's hard work, but healthy too.

Quote Originally Posted by vito View Post
    True, there is a direct material cost of pesticides, herbicides, etc. when producing conventional food. However, that is substantially offset by the additional costs of producing organic crop on a (usually) much smaller scale. Economy of scale alone drives the price up.

Post-harvest handling of relatively small quantities of organic foods results in higher costs because organic and conventional produce must be separated for processing and transportation.
    I suppose you are right in some some aspects however I assume there is probably quite a large number of farms involved in organic produce - I know an organic livestock farmer for example personally and they have a HUGE farm (in the UK at least). With tens of thousands of animals in production at a time.

[QUOTE=vito;6358547]

Plus, as far as I know, in the UK, do conventional farmers not receive considerable govt subsidies, whereas organic farmers do not? [quote]

As far as I am aware - please remember I have little knowledge of the organic market other than the actual requirements etc; I would assume that the organic farmers also receive considerable govt subsidies aswell as probably grants for growing organic produce.

Quote Originally Posted by Webdude View Post

Actually they do. In Texas, hispanics come up from the valley every season and hoe the fields. Entire families of them. They walk up and down the row chopping out the weeds, as well as killing snakes if needed. I know this because I used to be a foreman on a large farm, sometimes I would go do it with them. It's hard work, but healthy too.
    Wow I never knew that, certainly here in the UK we have no where near the man power to consider doing that.

Wow I never knew that, certainly here in the UK we have no where near the man power to consider doing that.
    Yep, we have all of Mexico

It is also a lot of standards they have to meet, which makes it cost more. Food at farmers market is organic much of the time, but the can not label it organic because they have not gone through the whole process to prove, etc. There is more loss, plus the reasons stated above.
    Chicago Electronic Cigarettes: Tobacco Free, Smoke Free. 3 E-Cig Models, 11 flavors, and accessories.
    http://www.chicago-ecigs.com

OMG, industrialised countries can't be called so if people have to eat plastic there...I live in Georgia, guys, the post-war country, and they sell a 5-kilo watermelon here for 20 cents...U'r welcome

Quote Originally Posted by fr33lancer View Post
    You are better off starting a small garden and growing your own organic produce. It's cheaper and you control every chemical. Sure it takes time, but it's rewarding too.
    That's what we'd like to do, then you certainly know how it's been produced. We already grow herbs, salad leaves and chillis. I used to grow tomatoes. At the moment we don't have enough space for serious vegetable growing.

We get an organic fruit and veg box delivered each week. It works out relatively reasonable, and saves the time that we would have spent shopping for the fruit and veg ourselves. We also have an organic meat delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by Carol_Ferndale View Post
    We get an organic fruit and veg box delivered each week. It works out relatively reasonable, and saves the time that we would have spent shopping for the fruit and veg ourselves. We also have an organic meat delivery.
    Carol, can you tell me who you buy from? I imagine I'd have to source out a different supplier here in Canada, but I'd just like to have a look at your supplier if they happen to have a site.

Vito

Carol, can you tell me who you buy from? I imagine I'd have to source out a different supplier here in Canada, but I'd just like to have a look at your supplier if they happen to have a site.

Vito
    Sure, Vito. It's this one:

http://www.org-organics.org.uk/

They have a lovely small shop on Great George Street, not far from the city centre, close to the Civic Quarter.

Great, thanks Carol. Their product looks good (geez I'm getting hungry now).

I have often wanted to research the suppliers in my area and just never got around to it. Even if it cost a bit more, it would be worth it. You have now prompted me to get off my butt and find a local supplier.

Vito

Great, thanks Carol. Their product looks good (geez I'm getting hungry now).

I have often wanted to research the suppliers in my area and just never got around to it. Even if it cost a bit more, it would be worth it. You have now prompted me to get off my butt and find a local supplier.

Vito
    Good luck with the search! I'm sure there must be plenty of good ones in Toronto.

I think its party due to Organic being "hip". In the U.S. organic foods are a joke. A lot of companies market organic products which simply aren't.
    Brook Hollow Brands