Justhost : For ....s and giggles..

I was going to sign up for Justhost's 1 year offer for poops and giggles until I found this in their TOS, which now makes it completely unappealing:

Offering video and/or audio streaming or downloads, MP3 Files, Games and shareware is also not permitted on any Just Host server.
    I wasn't going to host anything illegal and I'm willing to allow that I could probably get away with it unless they have some file-size/type scanning process but even so...

Slick.

Good post. So others don't have to go through these large texts to find out what kind of content can be hosted with these big hosts including JustHost.
    We Have Generated Over 7 Million cPanel Backups Come Dance Together With Us Y'all!
    Offer Your Own Backup Hosting Service - SiteAutoBackup.Com (Private Label / WHMCS Ready)
    WebHostingBusinessBook.Com | YouTube.com/WebHostingTutorial | NowOpenOnline.Com

So anything that would possibly use any real amount of bandwidth in other words? So this "offer" is pretty limited, in reality.

So it seems.

I guess unless you are hosting a massive amount of images via some sort of gallery software.

One thing I did notice is that there is nothing that rules out adult content. I guess you could host a pretty large thumbnail gallery (commission generator) site on there and make a tidy profit.

I was going to sign up for Justhost's 1 year offer for poops and giggles until I found this in their TOS, which now makes it completely unappealing:

Quote:
    Offering video and/or audio streaming or downloads, MP3 Files, Games and shareware is also not permitted on any Just Host server.
    I wasn't going to host anything illegal and I'm willing to allow that I could probably get away with it unless they have some file-size/type scanning process but even so...

Slick.
    Glad to see their are people out there that actually do read the TOS, This is where people get stung because they did not read the TOS and come complain about it - Good Work!
    l Dedigeeks (Twitter) • Shared • Reseller • Cloud VPS • Since 2010
    l Leading AU Hosting Provider • Multiple locations - around the globe!
    l cPanel/WHM • R1Soft Backups • 24/7/365 Support • 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com • Customer Service Rep. • Superior Service Guarantee

6. I'm a bit lost why everyone is slamming him, its probably there as a catch all safety for the illegal content that could be put up.
    Studyhost - Simple Web Hosting Solutions
    UK and USA cPanel Web Hosting
    99.9% Uptime Guarantee | 24/7 Support | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    Visit us at: studyhost.net

The way I read it was 'Downloads', A site is considered a download. So in words you could not host a site on their server. I suppose a re-emphasis would be better.
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com • Customer Service Rep. • Superior Service Guarantee

The way I read it was 'Downloads', A site is considered a download. So in words you could not host a site on their server. I suppose a re-emphasis would be better.
    Well you have a point your internet needs to download the content to make it view specially as most browser's cache content...
    Automated, Secure & Low Cost cPanel Backups (on the cloud)
    For Users & Web Hosting Providers - User Backups

Well you have a point your internet needs to download the content to make it view specially as most browser's cache content...
    Exactly, Now Sean wonders why people bring up such wonderful threads. Really goes to show people do read such terms.

It would be interesting to hide a secret link somewhere deep within the TOS (rather than the site footer) and provide discounts to those who find it.

It would be interesting to hide a secret link somewhere deep within the TOS (rather than the site footer) and provide discounts to those who find it.
    $5 says your TOS has a secret link... I guess its a good idea...

Quote Originally Posted by verdictjosh View Post
    Nope! Though it is a good idea and we might implement it in the future.

Damn, I did not see one. It may sound like a great idea though I would imagine the signups via that route would be minimal to none at all.

People review the content of a TOS for what they require not what they do not need. So for them to literally find it would probably not happen! ROFL.

Damn, I did not see one. It may sound like a great idea though I would imagine the signups via that route would be minimal to none at all.
    I guess you have a point.. Normally they scroll down to check Refunds, Setup and IRC

I guess you have a point.. Normally they scroll down to check Refunds, Setup and IRC
    Yes, Most people I find generally do not read the whole Terms of Service just skimp it.
    So this is why I said at my previous post that it's great someone has taken some time to find that in their TOS.

Sean

these kind of hosts are about as much use as a chocolate fire guard. the bottom feeders of the hosting world imho.

owm
    ‹(•Ώ•
    Life's what you make it.

That entry is pretty much standard with all hosts (who are not needy and offer a decent amount of disk space).

YOU should my TOS its HUGE

Quote Originally Posted by Collabora View Post
    That entry is pretty much standard with all hosts (who are not needy and offer a decent amount of disk space).

So exactly what "standard" are you referring to of ALL hosts?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyPenguin View Post
    So exactly what "standard" are you referring to of ALL hosts?
    The standard as it is set forth in the dictionary

See the dictionary for the definition of standard
    Sure! Please show me in the dictionary where it describes any "standard" in web hosting which you were referring about?

But to me it shows me you can not explain or describe any specific standard of which you were making reference with such a curt response.

You are confusing industry standard with generic term standard. Read some TOSs and you will see for yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw Web Master View Post
    these kind of hosts are about as much use as a chocolate fire guard. the bottom feeders of the hosting world imho.

owm

Chocolate fire guard where? I'd eat that

On a more serious note, great to see someone reading the TOS. Read a lot of the big name companies and you'll find a lot of twists and turns.
    #---.#---###### | Host Mist LLC - Helping People Say Hello World™
    #---.#---#--#--# || Shared, Reseller, Master Reseller, VPS, Dedicated
    ####---#--#--# }| Featuring multiple locations across the US & Germany.
    #---#---#--#--# #| Connecting the world through web hosting.

You are confusing industry standard with generic term standard. Read some TOSs and you will see for yourself
    I am not confused by anything concerning the topic we are discussing. I am asking you a very simple question of referring to a standard of all web hosts. Please explain what standard of all web hosts you are talking about in the comment below?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyPenguin View Post
    I am not confused by anything concerning the topic we are discussing. I am asking you a very simple question of referring to a standard of all web hosts. Please explain what standard of all web hosts you are talking about in the comment below?
    I already did

I already did
    No, your use of the word "standard" is erroneous in its context when strictly interpreted.

The statement may have been more correctly made if the word "common" had been substituted.
    edgedirector.com
    managed dns global failover and load balance (gslb)
    exactstate.com
    uptime report for webhostingtalk.com

YOU should my TOS its HUGE
    And... I guess you a TOS document would be more attractive if somone could shorten it whilst still remaining legal... I like the TOS that say they are governed in CA for example yet the company is UK I think that is funny...

Quote Originally Posted by plumsauce View Post
    No, your use of the word "standard" is erroneous in its context when strictly interpreted.

The statement may have been more correctly made if the word "common" had been substituted.
    I had already cleared that up in 2nd post

But i guess what you are trying to say is it would be wrong to say that having a TOS is standard practice?