Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking for Reliable Host

I am looking for shared hosting for my course website, and I was hoping that people on this forum could give me a few pointers. I am not looking for very much:

- 15 MB space
    - 1 GB transfer
    - CPanel
    - Unlimited MySQL databases

Preferably, I would like a host that costs as little as possible, but I have no qualms with paying up to $15/month. The most important thing is that the host is reliable. I am basically looking for a big name host in the industry that has been around for a while (at least 5 years), has a longstanding reputation for reliability, and offers top-notch support. Unfortunately, I don't have any conception of which hosts are the "big names." I would very much appreciate it if someone here could point me in the right direction.

Thanks!
    Last edited by conkermaniac; 08-25-2009 at 05:23 PM.

Do you have any location preference?
    FazeWire Web Services.
    || We have provided great prices and better support since 2006. Located in Seattle, WA!
    || -----------------
    || Shared Hosting - VPS - Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Software Licenses

Just a few of the many 'Big Names'

BlueHost
    HostGator
    DreamHost
    //VPS Blowout going on now! Can you believe it?
    //Installation of any script i.e. Wordpress, theme or plugin(s) included!
    //99.9% Uptime//Live Support//Awesome Deals!
    //CubicHost.org

Quote Originally Posted by FazeWire View Post
    Do you have any location preference?
    In N. America definitely, and I suppose I would prefer somewhere in the Northeastern US (since that is where the users will be accessing the website from) -- but this is far from a hard and fast preference.

With your requirement, just go with one of the big names. I would recommend HostGator
    We Have Generated Over 7 Million cPanel Backups Come Dance Together With Us Y'all!
    Offer Your Own Backup Hosting Service - SiteAutoBackup.Com (Private Label / WHMCS Ready)
    WebHostingBusinessBook.Com | YouTube.com/WebHostingTutorial | NowOpenOnline.Com

15mb space for $15/month? that's a great budget - but you'd probably be able to get more space or save more money.

and gray mentioned some of the biggest names in hosting already.

Quote Originally Posted by gray929 View Post
    Just a few of the many 'Big Names'

BlueHost
    HostGator
    DreamHost
    All of these seem to be "unlimited" hosts -- is there still a stigma attached to these hosts? At least I know there was when I last looked for hosting several years ago.

since you don't need much space or bandwidth, you shouldn't worry too much about unlimited providers, especially ones that are very established like the three mentioned above.

they do limit a lot of other things, such as mysql connections, amount of files, and what type of files I believe. You should read their ToS.

A lot of old hosts nowadays offers unlimited space and bandwidth, (5+ year olds) - if you go younger, such as 1+ yr olds then you'll probably find offers with limits and you may end up saving money.

- 15 MB space
    - 1 GB transfer
    - CPanel
    - Unlimited MySQL databases
    If this is all you are requiring I do not see BlueHost, Hostgator or Dreamhost really being relevant to your choices as they are offer the same thing, Your requirements are minimal. You could search and digg for a good open shared hosting service with a provider that could or does offer your requirements, Better yet a Custom plan could be beneficial again.

In a year you would look at consuming 12GB Bandwidth and 180MB Space.
    - Would you pay - Ex: $5.95 x 12 = $71.40, Where you could pay half this for a custom package?

Sean
    l Dedigeeks Shared Wordpress Dedicated Established 2006
    l Leading AUSTRALIAN Hosting Provider Sydney & Melbourne Datacentres
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support SMS Hosting Alerts*
    l www.dedigeeks.com Managing Director Service Superstars

Quote Originally Posted by conkermaniac View Post
    All of these seem to be "unlimited" hosts -- is there still a stigma attached to these hosts? At least I know there was when I last looked for hosting several years ago.
    You are right, they aren't really unlimited, read the TOS. But these hosts have been around for so long and have amassed such a large client base that they are obviously not a scam/fraud as those other hosts possibly are.
    //CubicHost.org

As long as you don't really expect to use "unlimited" you should be fine with a standard web site even at an "unlimited" host.

It's when you expect to use several TB of data or transfer that you run into problems usually.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Wow, what a great budget. This is certainly refreshing to see as opposed to those looking for eleventy billion GB of disk space and transfer.

I would highly recommend checking out Precision Effect. They are, without question, the best host I have come across for sites with a need for small resources.

Keep in mind the "big names" are people like IPOWER, Godaddy, etc. They don't always offer the best service. There's other ones out there but those are the major players....

Good luck ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by ATH-Sean View Post
    If this is all you are requiring I do not see BlueHost, Hostgator or Dreamhost really being relevant to your choices as they are offer the same thing, Your requirements are minimal. You could search and digg for a good open shared hosting service with a provider that could or does offer your requirements, Better yet a Custom plan could be beneficial again.

In a year you would look at consuming 12GB Bandwidth and 180MB Space.
    - Would you pay - Ex: $5.95 x 12 = $71.40, Where you could pay half this for a custom package?

Sean
    That makes a lot of sense. What are some of the reputable hosts that offer custom packages?

That makes a lot of sense. What are some of the reputable hosts that offer custom packages?

I'm sure Sean's host does. Click the link in his sig and submit a sales ticket. Pretty much all small-medium size hosts do. The only ones that don't are those really big ones I mentioned and other ones of that magnitude.
    //CubicHost.org

Almost any will give you a custom quote if you ask. Also, if you go for a "non-unlimited" host, you can probably get what you need easily for $3-$5/month. Most of the unlimited ones charge $8+/monthly which is more than you need to pay for such small needs.
    Imeanwebhosting.com - Shared cpanel hosting, 99.9% uptime.
    10 min average ticket responses, softaculous, rvsitebuilder, and more!
    Reliable, affordable shared hosting. I Mean Web Hosting!

Most hosts should be willing to customize a package for you, which could save you money. You could also go with very basic listed packages that may give you more space and bandwidth than you need, but are still within your budget and will allow for future growth.

i'd reccommend devotehost or maniahost, they have 100% uptime and cheap packages.

Custom plans are pretty standard on the smaller hosts; it's a part of what separates them from the bigger hosts.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by RooobDesigns View Post
    i'd reccommend devotehost or maniahost, they have 100% uptime and cheap packages.
    This looks like spam. What domains do you have with them?

This looks like spam. What domains do you have with them?
    Sure does

I am positive you will find a few, Though some do not offer this service so you are best to ask their Sales Desk to see if they can offer you a custom offer and get a quote for your requirements.

I would say that you will not genearlly find this among the Large webhost but as one mentioned more for your medium to smaller sized webhosts

Sean

Cannot say or pick one that I have never been affiliated with.

Yes, sill is, and you were right before, and you would be right if you keep doing it
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

I'd personally reccomend Allurehost. Fast hosting.

I'd personally reccomend Allurehost. Fast hosting.
    Would you have a Domain with them for some verification?

How do you classified a hosting provider as "reliable"?
    Is the pricing, quality supports or hosting features factors?
    It is depends on your website requirements to help you search for a reliable hosting provider.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast