Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    If the person was in the US Illegally then I wouldn't do business with them either way and if they were in the US Legally then I don't think it would be an issue to do business with them until they went back to Iran - at which point it would become complicated.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.
      0 Not allowed!

We're lucky here as we only have to follow the UN sanctions to the letter. If the sanction doesn't specifically exclude something it's fine to provide.
      0 Not allowed!

facebook allows Iran citizens from iran to signup and use facebook as long as they don't use it for Commercial activities:

http://asia.cnet.com/blogs/cyberpers...tm?id=63010408

Quote Originally Posted by C7mike View Post
    There is a company from Iran that wants to host with us. Are there any State Department issues that would restrict us from giving technical expertise or technology to someone from a country whose political environment is anti-U.S.?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ryan14 View Post
    facebook allows Iran citizens from iran to signup and use facebook as long as they don't use it for Commercial activities:

http://asia.cnet.com/blogs/cyberpers...tm?id=63010408

If I was the OP, living in the US with it's atitude towards the middle east, I wouldn't touch a customer from Iran. It just too much hassle with the potential for the feds to go knocking on his door, all for one lousy hosting customer.

Facebook has the money and staff to deal with a major legal problem, Joe Average host isn't going to have the same luxury.
    Last edited by SSHocker; 08-26-2009 at 04:46 AM.
    Web Hosting Plus
    Premium Australian Web Hosting
      0 Not allowed!

We just had this come up the other day, this was my response: http://twitpic.com/f3yvx
    Eleven2 Web Hosting - World-Wide Hosting, Done Right!
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Dedicated | Virtual Premium Servers
    Server Locations in: Dallas | Los Angeles | Singapore | Amsterdam
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney-E2 View Post
    We just had this come up the other day, this was my response: http://twitpic.com/f3yvx
    Wow... It's not necessarily that individual person's fault and they don't necessarily have the power to resolve that issue so I don't know that I would have been that mean/rude and I certainly wouldn't publicly say it if I had been...

I guess that's just me though - I feel that response is a bit over-the-top...
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
      0 Not allowed!

Massive error bringing politics in your response. Truth is in the eye of the beholder. BTW Iran doesn't even have nukes and Israel does, so you're telling the country that does not have nukes to "put them down" and leave the country that has nukes alone. What a world we live in
      0 Not allowed!

If you are using US facilities (datacenter, equipments or any other stuff made in usa or made by a us company) you cannot make business with iran.
    I sell it equipments in Romania and in the contract with the official dell representative is a paragraph like that.
      0 Not allowed!

I've turned down a few people that tried to get hosting from Iran..Like others have said, it's just not worth the trouble. Also, I think paypal does not allow accounts created from Iran.
    HOSTLEET.COM, LLC - Elite Website Hosting Since 2008!
    Fast Reliable Affordable Secure Friendly & Courteous
    RISK-FREE Money Back Guarantee U.S.A Based & Operated
    Read Through Our Most F.A.Q's!
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by prahovasport View Post
    If you are using US facilities (datacenter, equipments or any other stuff made in usa or made by a us company) you cannot make business with iran.
    I sell it equipments in Romania and in the contract with the official dell representative is a paragraph like that.
    Not according to the treasury office.

On August 19, 1997, the President signed Executive Order 13059 clarifying
    Executive Orders 12957 and 12959 and confirming that virtually all trade and
    investment activities with Iran by U.S. persons, wherever located, are
    prohibited.

Only U.S persons are prohibited. Additionally my provider also does not require me to turn down iranian customers.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by smenkhare View Post
    Only U.S persons are prohibited. Additionally my provider also does not require me to turn down iranian customers.
    But they were speaking of an agreement with Dell - Dell cannot directly (or indirectly) conduct business with individuals or businesses from Iran and as such they cannot do so indirectly such as through a reseller/parts house knowingly - hence the paragraph in the Dell agreement.
      0 Not allowed!

I'm not sure how that will help. Assuming that the leader is a wacko, how would you expect the average citizen act to have him removed from office? If anything, he, the citizen, is the mad man's victim as well, and shouldn't be judged too harshly.

In any case, this was a business inquiry. All that was needed was an explanation that doing business with him is illegal in your country, and end with something like "Sorry, and feel free to contact us again when this state of affairs changes."
    Last edited by ldcdc; 08-26-2009 at 06:21 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

I can bet the guy who respond in such harsh way is DUMB him self never bring politics into your business.

Politics is dirty GAME!!!!! You never know who to blame!!!!
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    I'm not sure how that will help. Assuming that the leader is a wacko, how would you expect the average citizen act to have him removed from office? If anything, he, the citizen, is the mad man's victim as well, and shouldn't be judged too harshly.

In any case, this was a business inquiry. All that was needed was an explanation that doing business with him is illegal in your country, and end with something like "Sorry, and feel free to contact us again when this state of affairs changes."
    rofl....

I just read that link...

The first sentence was fine...then it headed south after that.

Manners cost nothing.

I know a lot of Iranians and they seem very polite well mannered people. Funnily enough they tell me their relations back home in Iran hate the leader too but can't speak up or else they'd get lead away with their family and brutally murdered.

owm
    Last edited by Outlaw Web Master; 08-26-2009 at 08:19 PM.
    ‹(¿)›
    Life's what you make it.
      0 Not allowed!

Rodney Giles, isn't the brightest bulb in the box when it comes to customer service and company image.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by CoishAssociates View Post
    Rodney Giles, isn't the brightest bulb in the box when it comes to customer service and company image.
    yupps....I just hope his server kit's up to date and has good anti ddos & hack protection because there's a crapload of crazy SOB Iranian hackers out there, who'll probably go nutz if that reply gets passed around.

Careless talk costs lives.

owm
    Last edited by Outlaw Web Master; 08-26-2009 at 08:27 PM.
    ‹(¿)›
    Life's what you make it.
      0 Not allowed!

I'm not like everybodyelse here, I think it's a VERY GOOD RESPONSE,
    however it should have been sent from the Iranian to Rodney-E2.

And I'll second OWMs comment[s], all the Iranians I've meet in the UK have
    been 'decent people', but then 99% of all people are 'decent'.

Originally Posted by Rodney-E2 http://cdn.webhostingtalk.com/whtima...s/viewpost.gif
    I would imagine that it would not be just the USA that does not do exports of goods and technical information to a country that wants to nuke the world "supposedly". An Australian Citizen myself we here it all the time.

It is just like Americans are not close to China as Australia are. But that is besides the point of this thread, You need to look at that Australia pretty much follows in the spotlight of the USA and it is all we ever hear on the news lately about Iran and the USA's conflictions with one another and the same with North Korea.

I do not see where this fits in with Australia bar the barrier of allies. I am not taking crap out on Americans, But every war that America affiliates itself with we must join. So I would also imagine that Australia has conflictions with this country the same and does not allow Hosting to such countries either.

Maybe that is some searching on my behalf, But to your pretty good question I belive nothing including the technicalities of hosting are allowed to be hosting Iranian citizens good or bad in the USA.

Sorry I am not much help being a USA Citizen and not fully understanding thier Rules!

Spoke Too Soon:
    Under the new Regulations, it is an offence to engage in any conduct resulting in the supply, sale or transfer of specified military and dual-use items (items capable of use in nuclear and ballistic missile programs) to, for the use in, or for the benefit of Iran. It is also an offence to provide Iran with technical training, advice, services or assistance, or financial resources, related to such specified items. Further, it is an offence to procure specific military and dual-use items from Iran. Pursuant to the Resolution, Australians should not engage in any training of Iranian nationals which may support Iran’s nuclear proliferation sensitive programs.
    Last edited by Sparrow-Sean; 08-26-2009 at 08:52 PM.
    l Dedigeeks Shared Wordpress Dedicated Established 2006
    l Leading AUSTRALIAN Hosting Provider Sydney & Melbourne Datacentres
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support SMS Hosting Alerts*
    l www.dedigeeks.com Managing Director Service Superstars
      0 Not allowed!

Its all just fun and games! The customer (being in Iran) will never end up being a customer of ours anyhow. So I am not too worried. You gotta have fun sometimes!
      0 Not allowed!

Its all just fun and games! The customer (being in Iran) will never end up being a customer of ours anyhow. So I am not too worried. You gotta have fun sometimes!
    Ridiculous - I hope for your sake that this thread gets buried soon. Not only is this extremely damaging to your image but I am sure there are individuals out there that will disagree with you enough to try to cause some damage to you/your company.

Good luck.
      0 Not allowed!

Honestly, I think you are acting a bit over the line here.

I was sharing the way I told someone about the embargo.

Now you say this is damaging to my image - not all, we had quite a few people crack up over this. It even made a few peoples days!
      0 Not allowed!

As an example - if I were to walk into your store to buy some milk and you were to insult me based upon my country, ethnicity, or the leader of my country I would very much take offense to that... I didn't choose my country of origin (in most cases), I didn't choose my ethnicity, and from what I understand I wouldn't have chosen the leader of my country.

Really I feel that judging somebody for things that are not within their control (especially politics) is going way over the line.
      0 Not allowed!

No, you did not, you were disrespectful with somebody asking about your services.
    Nobody asked you about your political thought on the pre-sale question.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore
      0 Not allowed!

Now you say this is damaging to my image - not all, we had quite a few people crack up over this. It even made a few peoples days!
    To be honest, your image is not damaged[broken], but is now firmly fixed in my mind,
    it does not matter to me, but the image I have of you is as an absolute fool.

Did he respond? I know what I would of said to you but I can't post it here because of the rules and guidelines.
    I'm from a country with lots of internet fraud and I don't like how easy I get the boot before I can even finish the order although I never spammed, did anything illegal on servers or miss a single payment with the providers I work with. The providers that boot me don't know this, they just judge me based on location and tell me politely they don't want to do business with me.
    Sure, I got used to this. I got used to providing all kinds of ID scans, phone receipts etc for 90% of companies I give money to and I'm not even from Irak, I'm from a better place.
    Politicians don't make and enforce anti-fraud laws, they are too busy robbing the country and it's people.

It's one thing to say "Sorry, we can't work with you" and it's a totally different story to make fun and insult somebody who wanted to trust you with his business.

You think good people don't try to make a change? They are already xxxed up because of their leaders and there's nothing they can do about it. Why stick the knife?

I kicked somebody in the face for saying something similar to what you just said.

I don't know how your hosting is, hope it's better than your attitude.
    Got Fused?
      0 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast