Question Tips for studend

Hi guys,

As it says in the title, Tips for students, I’m 17, I’m on a IT collage course (Level 3 / 2 year course).Course Information

And at the end of this course, I want to get a full time IT job either in web design or network engineer.
    I want to start thinking about it now as the Job-climate in the UK isn't exactly brilliant at the moment so I’m trying to get ahead of the game.

Can you give me any time on the following or other idea's you can think of:

1# what do employee's look for in new recruits?
    2# how can I make myself stand out?
    3# what should I be learning to further myself or make me more of candidate then the others?

Any other tips you can tell is really appreciated

Thanks

Joe
    Garbott Ltd - Professional web development & consultancy services
    Oxford.Hosting - Prestigious shared, cloud, dedicated and gaming hosting solutions.

I'm glad to see sound a young adult taking an intreest in their future! I've been on many teams when it comes to hiring new employees and I hope my experience will help you find an idea job position.

1# what do employee's look for in new recruits?
    Answer: Someones who's confident and well spoken. I feel you can tell alot by a person if they are willing to shake your hand and look you directly in the eye. Also, something to remember in life as well as in a job interview never LIE. If you put down a previous employment and it comes back that you really didn't work for that company - good luck finding a job in general. Companies talk and if someones thinking about hiring an ideal candidate trust me they will talk to other companies to get some dirt on you.

2# how can I make myself stand out?
    Answer: Your resume! You stated you wanted to go into web design well make your resume stand out like a sore thumb. I actually got hired at a wonderful job and after I started working their for awhile I asked, "So, why did I get hired?" And he said, "Because of your resume, it stood out." Take it from my personally experience your resume is the key to the castle.

3# what should I be learning to further myself or make me more of candidate then the others?
    Answer: Anything and everything. The more you learn and are able to do yourself the more a company will want to have you on staff. If they can ask you to setup a router when your a web design / developer just more reason for job security.

I hope I've been helpful and I wish you all the best in searching for an ideal job. At first you will obviously get discouraged perhaps depressed because of the current economy that's a pretty common feeling. Just stay positive and apply for every job you find. Every job no matter how big or small will provide you with an unique experience that no one can take from you. Best of luck

** Sidenote: Spelling is key! In your post you put 'Tips for studend' it should be 'Tips for student'. I'm not trying to be mean but it's really important they see you are an educated hard working young adult. **
    We develop brand identity for the web.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Services ~ Custom Web Design, Branding & Identity, Development, Hosting & more!
    Portfolio ~ Websites, User Interfaces, Widgets & more!

Hello Joe, The-Pixel gave some very good tips that you should follow.

For resume here is a link that I would like you to read:
    http://edition.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/w...ref=rss_latest
    Vinsar.Net - Quality Web Hosting at Economical Price on USA & European Servers
    Offering domains, shared, reseller & VPS hosting.
    Reliable Domain Reseller Account Resell Domains with Confidence

Umm... spelling/grammar
    ☆☆☆ Miss Names - Cool domain names for sale! - MissNames.com☆☆☆

☆☆☆ Find a new pet for your home ... Find a new home for your pet - WeGotPets.com☆☆☆

Hey "The-Pixel", Thanks for all that advice. =]

Spelling isn't my strong point as you pointed out, but I guess that's something I could work on.

Thanks Once again everyone.
    Oxford.Hosting - Prestigious shared, cloud, dedicated and gaming hosting solutions.

jwebhost off topic, but have a look at your signature, link is not correct.
    Vinsar.Net - Quality Web Hosting at Economical Price on USA & European Servers
    Offering domains, shared, reseller & VPS hosting.
    Reliable Domain Reseller Account Resell Domains with Confidence

Yea, I just saw that too. eeek.

You have to weigh up the type of person your interviewer is. There are two types of managers/bosses/interviewers in the IT industry. The ones who know next to nothing and just look for qualifications and the ones who worked from the bottom up who know exactly what they're talking about, who are looking to find out exactly what you know and how intelligent you are.

On one hand, you may have to seriously big yourself up with qualifications and market yourself with confidence and buzzwords - on the other hand, you just answer questions accurately and prove your competence with knowledge.

As I said, it all depends. It depends on the company hiring and the specific interviewer. The bigger places tend to look for the qualifications, which is sad, because a lot of people already have the qualifications in their head, but they have to (mostly) waste their time in education to get a piece of paper that proves they do.

Regardless of all of the above, a CV is still incredibly important. Get grammar and spelling to the best standard you can, get friends and family to proof read it. You also need to gear yourself up as a good all-rounder.

I believe I did a very similar course to what you're doing... Business Information Systems, Communications Technology, Systems Analysis and Design... Ring any bells?
    Exoware.net
    Professional EU/UK Web Hosting Solutions
    Linux Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting and Dedicated Server Hosting
    Excellent, personal support round the clock.