Personal Experience with Priority Colocation

I have been meaning to post my experiences with two dedicated server and co-locating companies for some time now. To be fair and objective, I have started a different thread for each.

In May 2002, I was in need of a high bandwidth server to serve as a back-up/file download server. I had a few large non-profit projects that I was hosting and their files needed a home since my old provider charged $3.50 per gigabyte for all bandwidth over 50 gigabytes.

I posted a dedicated server request at webhostingtalk.com because I couldnít afford to build a new server at that point. I received roughly 15 offers for servers, but the offer made by Myles was the most appealing out of all of them. He was offering 300 gigabytes of bandwidth, along with a nicely configured AMD XP1700 server, for about $150.00 per month. However, I was little skeptical on the bandwidth provider as he used Cogent and Williams (Williams was added in July, however, the Cogent only network was very efficient for our needs).

Back in May, there was a lot of talk regarding Cogent and their business practices. Even their technical side, with numerous posts about high packet loss, started to scare me a little. However, I tested Priority Colocationís network (company own by Myles) for several days and the combination of Cogent and Williams seems to be a winner. I didnít experience any packet loss and the pings times were excellent to my location (Houston, Tx).

Server was setup within 24 hours (I was surprised) and was ready to go with 8 IP addresses already assigned to me. The connection was rock solid and the hardware was Grade A. I couldnít complain at all.

Tech support (when needed) has always been fast and courteous. I havenít had a problem yet with them. It has been 7 months since Iíve signed up and their service has not wavered at all.

They are moving to a new data center with a faster connection. The new center will now be using Yipes, Peer1, Ottawa Telecomm, and a few private exchanges.

I will keep you up to date what my experience is after the move is complete.

DISCLAIMER: I am not affiliated with Priority Colocation in any way, shape, or form. The text above is given as my sole opinion regarding their services to the public

EDIT: Slight typo on my part.
    Last edited by TradeViceroy; 11-13-2002 at 07:01 PM.
    TradeViceroy

Even though I don't have a dedicated server with Priority Colocation I will add that Myles (or Porkupine) is a great person who unfortunatley couldn't offer me a server for me needs. But what makes him "great" is that he is always happy to offer Tech support to me on my DV2 server, very nice of you
    [SIZE=1]Main Rig: Leadtek nForce2 Ultra Delux | [email protected] | 512MB Corsair XMS3200 | GeForce Ti4200 [email protected]/610 | 2*120GB WD SE HD
    Shuttle Rig: Shuttle SN41G2B Black | [email protected] | 512MB Samsung PC2700 | ATi Radeon 8500 64MB | 120GB Seagate Barracuda V HD
    Total Gamer Network Network Founder

Yeah, I like reading his posts on that website webhostingtalk.com. Myles usually has something funny to say.
    Dot Simple LLC
    aim: johna11en | yah: johna11en | msn: [email protected] | e-mail

Not to worry John, I'll be posting a LOT more once this move is done. My stress level is approaching lethal levels as we're moving the entire operation to Toronto to remove what i feel to be the only signifigant weak spot in our service (problematic onsite technician(s)), after this i should be back on WHT (for any that've noticed i haven't really been posting in the last month or two, it's really hard to sell a server and add on "uh, oh yeah, you'll be down for a move next month, do ya mind?" ).

Fortunatly since we bought decent parts all around the board for our servers we have no negative posts because people weren't affected by the onsite techs for the most part, but believe me, its been a painfull experience for the remainder of the staff .

I'll have pics of the sexy new facility up and available to the public soon , they're already up, just not public or formatted whatsoever nicely .

Okay, I'm a little confused. You give a review of Priority Colcation, and then state that you're not affiliated with FastServers.Net. I believe they are two totally unrelated companies? Is this a typo, or am I missing something totally obvious. (Note that the latter is entirely possible.)

*cough* *cough*
    Devon Dunham (Owner, Sharpnet/DDoS Host)
    Advanced DDoS Mitigation and Server Management Solutions

Protecting your online infrastructure.

Est. 1998.

Are you coughing at me?

Originally posted by fog
    Okay, I'm a little confused. You give a review of Priority Colcation, and then state that you're not affiliated with FastServers.Net. I believe they are two totally unrelated companies? Is this a typo, or am I missing something totally obvious. (Note that the latter is entirely possible.)
    Uh yeah. I noticed the same.

Perhaps TradeViceroy had a little mind lapse and put FastServers.net by accident... I don't know, we'll have to hear from him...

Whoa, replies that fast scare me.

Okay, so that's what it is. I was real worried that I was missing something totally obvious. After re-reading it a couple times, I started to wonder if the new data center was FastServers or something... Glad to know it wasn't me.

Nope, new Data Center is in the 151 Front Street building in Toronto, Ontario, which is also the largest and best connecter Carrier Hotel in all of Canada (you better believe it!).

Though being in the Fastservers Data Center wouldn't be bad either, they have good reviews thus far, just a slight conflict of interest (unless you meant a merger, eeeek!).

Originally posted by porcupine
    Nope, new Data Center is in the 151 Front Street building in Toronto, Ontario, which is also the largest and best connecter Carrier Hotel in all of Canada (you better believe it!).

Though being in the Fastservers Data Center wouldn't be bad either, they have good reviews thus far, just a slight conflict of interest (unless you meant a merger, eeeek!).
    151 front street? Wow! That's great to hear. I'm actually really close to Toronto, (I'm in Oakville.)

Good Luck with everything.

311, if you want a tour anytime, let me know , gotta love the place, not the prices granted, but its definatly a step up IMHO, and all my local customers are thrilled (except for having to pay the canadian/ontario taxes). Best yet is you have to love the TorIX peering, i get < 10ms to the new DC from home .

Sorry, it was a template. Myles hit it right on. Sorry about that. =)
    TradeViceroy

Originally posted by porcupine
    311, if you want a tour anytime, let me know , gotta love the place, not the prices granted, but its definatly a step up IMHO, and all my local customers are thrilled (except for having to pay the canadian/ontario taxes). Best yet is you have to love the TorIX peering, i get < 10ms to the new DC from home .
    Yeah, sounds sweet! Have you heard about Cogent yet? I've heard that they bought out a Canadian company recently, and that Cogent will be available at 151 front street. Do you know anything about this yet? I'm not sure it it's true, but it sounds pretty interesting, that's for sure...

They're already in the building, they moved in on november 1st.

They bought out Allied Riser in toronto back around february and it's been their largest market since with around 20-25% of their revenue, they just didn't start offering bandwidth services until now (they were doing VOIP as allied riser still, they retained the name). Also i believe it was Magma communications that moved in this month as well . Let me know when you want a tour, i'll hook it up for ya , we dont have much in there right now, but will have it packed before the month is out.

Myles where is the old datacenter located? and how you going to move all those servers over? j/k hehe
    <edit > j/k - i meant just currious

We're currently located at 200SE First St. in Miami, FL.

And one big van is how the servers are being moved, 3 driver shift up to canada, about the same amount of time as overnight fedex would take, and far safer for the servers/data .

Unfortunatly like webreseller, we dont have the $$$ to rent a private Jet or anything on those lines

Wow, Florida to Canada -- That's a long trip. Have a safe drive Myles, I wish you the best. I95 gets quite hectic sometimes.

Est. 1998.

yea good luck hehe ROAD TRIP haha

Web reseller flew their servers to a new DC?!

Est. 1998.

Myles,

looking forward to having my reseller account and web sites moved from COGENT only bandwidth!! What a great move! I am impressed.

I will contact you later today about the new name server IP addresses so I can change them asap. And then publish my new content.

Your service has been the best of all my hosts that I am currently using (dellhost, hostway, prioritycolocation). If the new data center is as good as it sounds I will be able to consolodate everything to 2 reseller accounts.

Good luck on the driving!
    http://www.ChicagoJobResource.com
    Chicago Job Resource
    YOUR career connection for Chicago jobs, careers and employment