Does geographical server location (IP) matter in SEO? or only TLD?

Hi,
    If I buy a TLD (eg Australian - .com.au) and I host my web site on servers in the USA, will I get a lower SEO rating than if I would host on servers in Australia?

Thanks

Hello,
    i think that geographical location doesnt matter. Its important to have dedicated IP and to be on a server which doesnt have illegal web sites.
    For google.com is .com .net are great solutions. But for google.rs the .rs tld is the best solution.

No, you'll not, if you own the regional TLD you'll be listed on the regional search engine results. However, if you only own the .com then you have to be hosted on a local IP in order of being listed on the regional search engine results.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

if you have the right tdl your fine you can alos use your webmaster tools to tell google, The right geographic link profile helps too.

i think that geographical location doesnt matter.
    It does if you want to rank high(er) in google.com.au.

If I buy a TLD (eg Australian - .com.au) and I host my web site on servers in the USA, will I get a lower SEO rating than if I would host on servers in Australia?
    A site's location is determined via domain name or IP. In your case, it would be marked as Australian, because it is so.

http://www.google.com/support/webmas...n&answer=62399

I would say to be safe use a .com.au domain and host it locally there, there's not much of a price difference anyways, unless you're looking for a dedicated server.
    We Have Generated Over 7 Million cPanel Backups Come Dance Together With Us Y'all!
    Offer Your Own Backup Hosting Service - SiteAutoBackup.Com (Private Label / WHMCS Ready)
    WebHostingBusinessBook.Com | YouTube.com/WebHostingTutorial | NowOpenOnline.Com

If you visit SEO forums you will understand that domain name is nothing for SEO. Content is the king and I suppose you need to stop worrying about that at all

Quote Originally Posted by SiberForum View Post
    If you visit SEO forums you will understand that domain name is nothing for SEO. Content is the king and I suppose you need to stop worrying about that at all
    The region a site targets is determined by the Domain TLD or for Google the Region setting in the webmaster tools. If you have a .com and you don't have your region set then search engines may use the GEO Location of your IP to determine your region but the best bet is to use a regional TLD and to set the setting in Google Webmaster Tools.

A lot of what is said in SEO Forums are myth, speculation, assumptions, and bad guesses.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.