Managed Vs UnManaged Cost differences

Hi Guys,

I see that there is a huge cost difference when it comes to managed Vs unmanaged VPS.

From my understanding the following are add to cost in managed:
    1) Support staff time
    2) Generally one or more admin panels

Anything else?

I am trying to understand how can an unmanaged 512M VPS for 10$ be priced at 30$ or more in case of managed, other specs being same.

Thanks.
    Last edited by jits; 08-25-2009 at 07:40 AM. Reason: spelling

Admin panels have nothing to do with management of your server, unless the company requires it to offer you a managed service.

A cheap 10$ 512MB VPS isn't necessarily a quality one, as it's one thing to have it on a Q8200 quad core with two SATA drives in RAID-1 and another to have it on a dual Harpertown with SA-SCSI drives in RAID-10.

When it comes to management, just try and do some math and see how much it would cost you to have tech staff available around the clock.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by cristibighea View Post
    Admin panels have nothing to do with management of your server, unless the company requires it to offer you a managed service.
    But they do have cost part, I think.

A cheap 10$ 512MB VPS isn't necessarily a quality one, as it's one thing to have it on a Q8200 quad core with two SATA drives in RAID-1 and another to have it on a dual Harpertown with SA-SCSI drives in RAID-10.
    Some VPS do not share this info. But here is what I am getting for 10$:

Nahalem 5520
    12GB DDR3
    Raided Array 3ware Card
    1.5TB Disk for backups
    1gige ethernet

To me looks good, shared by at most 15 VPSs.

When it comes to management, just try and do some math and see how much it would cost you to have tech staff available around the clock.
    I would understand that is the major cost, as this is not something that has yet got outsourced for good ;-).

Cheers!

While not necessarily an expensive managed VPS provider has quality and not overloaded servers.

Round the clock support can be covered without problems, once the provider has the necessarily volume.

Essentially the management includes support for issues like: "my mail server does not start!" and similar.

Management panels are of two kinds:
    - VPS management panel (start/stop, reinstall etc.) which is usually included by both managed and unmanaged providers
    - hosting managelment panel (CPanel, Plesk etc.) which is not included by most providers, while others included. But you should see this clearly on their site.

Wondering why there are so few unmnaaged VPS providers?

Partly I think this is because they have to handle these queries like "my mail server does not start" even though they are unmanaged to keep someone from ranting off on WHT ?

I know 3 unmanaged here at WHT IntoVPS, PhotonVPS and FSCKVPS who all have plans around 10$ or so for unmanaged.

Bashing an unmanaged provider on WHT that he did not fixed the mail server would be somehow ridiculous.

EDIT: Not that we don't help customers here and there with management tasks. As long as it is clear for the customer that this is NOT usual and included service. And depending on load, management tasks can be treated with lower priority.
    Last edited by Adrian Andreias; 08-31-2009 at 03:19 AM.