Thread: PSU issue?

PSU issue?

Hello,

Need some assistance as this is starting to drive me nuts now.

For a few months now, to my memory, my computer does not like to boot up after pressing the power button. I shut it off at night, and when I would wake up in the morning, I push the power button, to no avail.

That changed. Now, I have to turn off the PSU switch in the back as well before I go to bed. When I wake up, I flick the PSU on, push the power button. The lights inside would go on, like the cathlode and MB light, otherwise it does nothing. I must push it like 500 times before it finally boots up. But wait, there's more.

Sometimes it just won't boot up, so I have to flick the PSU off and back on and try again, several times. Then, sometimes when it boots up, it'll get to the Windows XP logo boot screen, before returning to the "dead" zone again, which results in flicking the PSU off, and on and again, pushing the power button. Usually turns on after one to five pushes and I am good to go.

I told a friend of mine this, and he tells me it could have something to do with all the gizmos inside the case. Specs below.

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ (Socket AM2)
    RAM: 4096MB DDR OCZ High Performance DDR2
    VC: Sapphire Radeon HD2900XT 512MB (PCI-E)
    MB: Asus M2R32-MVP
    PSU: OCZ Game Xtreme 700W
    HD: 320GB Western
    HD: 320GB Western
    HD: 80GB Maxtor

Is it possible, because of the three hard drives and the 700W PSU, that I should look into an 850 or 1000W? That there isn't enough energy to power it all at once? Especially when I am thinking of converting to 500GBs, and adding one more HDD as well.
    Personal Website: Here | Currently Hosted By: HostGator | Twitter: @Quartz87

IMO, your PSU is more than enough. Your computer consumes max 400W at full load.

Quote Originally Posted by average_guy View Post
    IMO, your PSU is more than enough. Your computer consumes max 400W at full load.
    I have the same specs and it uses more then that but........ Just because his psu is more then enough does not mean its not broken. Have you tried using a voltage meter on it for when it wont start up?
    Leader of the new anti sig spamming club.

Uh, dun have one of those gadgets
    Personal Website: Here | Currently Hosted By: HostGator | Twitter: @Quartz87

Quote Originally Posted by Quartz_ View Post
    Uh, dun have one of those gadgets
    If you have an old computer sitting around you could change the cpu and see if it starts. The only time I have had power issues was because of a psu but I wouldnt take my word for it and buy a new one lol.
    Leader of the new anti sig spamming club.

Use a tool such as this. They are well worth it.

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...tingid=5039438

simple check might be the power button on the computer. those are connected to the motherboard by small wires. either the connection on the motherboard might be loose or the button in the case is broken or the wires are frayed/loose somewhere. not easiest to troubleshoot but maybe.

if you have an old computer you are tossing out (many other people do also) you can harvest the power button and wire and try that out. otherwise it could be the psu itself. never heard of it dying though after starting up already (windows boot screen). weird.

Got to love trouble shooting check the 2 prong connection between the power button and the motherboard. Could actually still be a Power supply issue (PS's can cause random weird issues on the way out) but again as stated you would need a voltmeter to really test that. Depending on your board you may be able to check your Southbridge and Northbridge voltage in the bios as well.