i have a situation?! need some advice

ok so i decided to get the promo by "TEMPLATEMONSTER" for JustHost!

I know justhost is ******...but the coupon gives me 12/months Free 0.00 cost!!! all i needed was my CC. perfect!

so i decided to go with it and enter all the stuff...than they charged .50 cents!!!!!! what is this?? is this to confirm that my CC is legit?? also should i be worried about this?? I also made sure I didnt get any special deals!

also i wanted to make sure this stupid host didnt auto-charge my CC. But couldnt find the option so plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz tell me the secrets of this BIG marketing hosting company!! I dont want to give money to such ****** host

also in the end im gonna cancel my account but i just want to experience the FREE hosting for 12 months lol

but please am i falling into a trap??

JustHost. I never tried them out but seen them up for about 2 years, I don't this is a scam or anything. Just stick around and see what happens and watch them carfuly

They probably just want to see that your card is valid - I wouldn't worry about it too much, just make sure you keep an eye on your statements and cancel at the end of the 12 months if you don't want to carry on.

than they charged .50 cents!!!!!! what is this?? is this to confirm that my CC is legit??
    That may indeed be the case, but then, they would still be falsely advertising. A charge is a charge, no matter how small.

I know that some people use small charges to verify that the card is active. I would suggest contacting them directly.

you can get a bank back-charge. but $0.50 isn't really the much is it?
    Garbott Ltd - Exceptional web development, hosting & consultancy services

You should definitely contact them right away to see if this is indeed the case (CC verification). But I guess this is another issue where you were pulled in by the low cost - free offers. I haven't seen many positive reviews about JustHost here WHT.

I can not believe it that you got attracted from these offerings and now you are complaining only because you have been charged 50 cents... If you purchased a web hosting on a regular base from any reputable web host, you would be in position to ask for a refund for 50 cents. Even the time you would spend in submitting support ticket, asking for a refund would cost more. Otherwise as a customer of various web services I do not appreciate this cheap tricks some providers use. But that's the way it is.
    Last edited by HostColor; 08-24-2009 at 06:08 PM. Reason: to correct some mistakes
    HostColor.com Edge Infrastructure - US Dedicated Servers & Europe Dedicated Hostingsince 2000
    In 50 U.S. Edge Data Centers & 80 POPs worldwide
    24/7 Support ★★ Support Tickets - LiveChat - Phone

Quote Originally Posted by HostColor View Post
    I can not believe it that you got attracted from these offering and when they got 50 cents only, you are complaining. If you purchased a web hosting from someone you would be in position to ask for a refund for 50 cents. Even the time you would spend in submitting support tickets to ask for a refund would cost more. Otherwise as a customer of various web services I do not appreciate this cheap tricks some providers use. But that's the way it is.
    It is usually the principle of these things, you should not advertise free and then charge someone even if it a minimal charge.

Unless ofcourse they have something in their terms of service stating this charge; I would suggest taking a look at that to see if there is something regarding a card test charge.

Could be some sort of transaction fee. Looks like another case of customer jumping to conclusions and host's competitors jumping on the bandwagon.
    Collabora Hosting - Unlimited Windows and Linux Hosting
    Web Security - VPS - Dedicated Servers
    Cloud and Managed WordPress Hosting
    Read how we do Unlimited Hosting at the Unlimited FAQ

Its most likely just an authorization and not a charge. Generally, these get reversed after 72 hours. They're probably just checking to make sure you're legit.

Did you ask them?

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

I'm going to assume this is a credit authorization charge, give it up to a week and see if it's removed. They do this to simply verify the card. 12 months of hosting for free does seem to good to be true... Good luck! Make sure to follow up if things work out!
    The Web Hosting Network
    Innovative Hosting Solutions Personal Support & Sales
    Superior Web Site Hosting Since 1999

This is the first I've heard about such a situation. I don't know much about JustHost but over the years they seemed to be a pretty solid company from what I've seen. This bothers me and will be interesting to see how everything pans out. Best of luck!
    We develop brand identity for the web.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Services ~ Custom Web Design, Branding & Identity, Development, Hosting & more!
    Portfolio ~ Websites, User Interfaces, Widgets & more!

12 months of hosting for free does seem to good to be true...
    It's not unheard of. 1and1 did it. Dreamhost virtually does it too with their $10 for a year of hosting specials.

over the years they seemed to be a pretty solid company
    They're about 1.5 years old I think, and only really took off in the last year or so, once they started pushing their high paying affiliate program via CJ.com.

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/justhost.com

You should definitely contact them and they would be the ones to tell you why the charge. But sounds like maybe it was just to verify the credit card.
    Fully customized hosting to your specific needs, no general plans found here!
    'Read before you click I agree' - J

$0.0 for a year's hosting? There's gotta be a catch somewhere?

I think the catch is, justhost hopes you like their service enough to come back the following year, and maybe tell your friends?

It's a risky thing they are doing, but they must be confident in their service