Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why CentOS?

Why CentOS?

guys,

Why do you(or do not) prefer centOS over other Linux flavors like ubuntu or fedora as a hosting server.

I think centOS is less stable as compared to other versions and also the support for centOS is limited.
    █ All time best VPS Hosting is now more affordable
    █ Compare different VPS hosting Providers
    █ Ultimate place for Top VPS Hosting Comparison
    █ Reviews | Ratings | News | Articles | Forum | Offers

Really? I find CentOS to be the exact opposite, stable and plenty of support. All of our servers run CentOS 5.3 (x64) and we have had a great experience with it. Have you had problems with CentOS?

CentOS is more stable than other distributions. It works like RedHat enterprise. I am running it since last one year without any stability issues.

CentOS works great so why chose something else?
    Masses of support.
    cPanel and everything else works great with it...
    need I say more?
    BotWars.io - Code the AI of your Battle Bot!

The only way I would dislike CentOS, is if it ran over one of my pets. However I would still use it because its solid, reliable and has plenty of support. I would almost go as far as to say its a hosting industry standard. At least its widely used due to its rock solidness.

Not saying that this is a valid reason, but a lot of corporate America runs RH Enterprise. Being that I do contract work for a fortune 500 company and if they run RH Enterprise, which CentOS is basically copy of the OS, then I will follow what the big dogs use for their hosting needs on the free version of course CentOS.
    www.MyWinsVPS.com - Quality Engineered Linux/Windows 2003/2008 Dedicated VPS Provider - "VDS/VPS Setup AVAILABLE!!!"
    No Overloading of Machines, Dedicated Burstable Port Speeds, CPU, Ram, and HD - Now Offering Linux CentOS

By default, CentOS is pretty restrictive in its package selection and slow in the updates to new packages because it literally is a repackage of RHEL, and RHEL is slow and steady for reliability sake.

You might have to develop custom packages left and right because the OS doesn't come with them, and paid RedHat support is worse than useless,

Quote Originally Posted by allennbb View Post
    By default, CentOS is pretty restrictive in its package selection and slow in the updates to new packages because it literally is a repackage of RHEL, and RHEL is slow and steady for reliability sake.

You might have to develop custom packages left and right because the OS doesn't come with them, and paid RedHat support is worse than useless,
    So you run Ubuntu on your servers? or something else?

Buying Playstations colocating them with Yellowdog. jk :p
    www.MyWinsVPS.com - Quality Engineered Linux/Windows 2003/2008 Dedicated VPS Provider - "VDS/VPS Setup AVAILABLE!!!"
    No Overloading of Machines, Dedicated Burstable Port Speeds, CPU, Ram, and HD - Now Offering Linux CentOS

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTrike View Post
    So you run Ubuntu on your servers? or something else?
    I would go for Debian instead of Ubuntu. I am not saying Ubuntu is not good as a server OS, but Debian seems to undergo a lotmore testing and is less buggy than Ubuntu

Installing Oracle on RedHat is just as much more pain than installing it on Debian, and you won't get any useful help from Oracle either (proprietary software support is near-universally worthless in my experience).

The only benefit to running CentOS is if you are more comfortable working in that environment and have your processes and tools tuned that way.

Redhat has clearly defined product lifecycles that you can depend on. this is key for developers and is the main reason that they tend to stick to RH/CentOS like glue.

Simply put; each to their own.

All Linux flavours (that are in development still and regularly updated) are each as good as each other.

You'll get people that swear by Debian, Gentoo, Fedora as well. CentOS is definitely the most favorable by many though and I can see why.
    HostGuard.net - VPS Control Panel
    Automating and monitoring your hosting business.

I would go for Debian instead of Ubuntu. I am not saying Ubuntu is not good as a server OS, but Debian seems to undergo a lotmore testing and is less buggy than Ubuntu
    So you don't run either of them? What exactly do you run. I am just curious to know where the experience comes from, and where you have ran into problems.

Centos more reliable and pretty
    i use it from long time all servers we have
    Webgater.CoM - Cheap FullyManged Unmetered VPS , Master Reseller ,
    Reseller and Webhosting.
    Tomer A

Odd, as the others I have found CentOS very stable and even as a non-Linux expert I've found support and software easy to find.

After using *nix operating systems for 10 years I have come to prefer Debian, Ubuntu, and FreeBSD. They are simply well engineered operating systems you can depend on. Plus RPMs irritate me.

guys,

Why do you(or do not) prefer centOS over other Linux flavors like ubuntu or fedora as a hosting server.

I think centOS is less stable as compared to other versions and also the support for centOS is limited.
    you've got be to trolling there, or smoking some good weed!

centos is certainly more stable than ubuntu or fedora, they have 6 month release cycles, centos has what 5 years?!

centos has the most support of any linux distro as its essentially rhel, and you can buy commercial support if you want.

although personally i'm leaning towards ubuntu lts for my servers as centos 5.3 is getting way old now, at least 8.04.3 has a modern kernel and packages.

i just bought an intel motherboard whose nic (e1000e) didn't even work on centos 5.3 or fedora11 for that matter! ubuntu 8.04 works fine.

Installing Oracle on RedHat is just as much more pain than installing it on Debian, and you won't get any useful help from Oracle either (proprietary software support is near-universally worthless in my experience).

The only benefit to running CentOS is if you are more comfortable working in that environment and have your processes and tools tuned that way.
    that's rubbish too, oracle on redhat is the only oracle-supported distro, hell oracle even have their own rhel rebuild - like centos!

Think ops concern is the lack of enough package updates. Making him/her think that centos is not stable/reliable.

The late iterations of ubuntu is slight better than before. I remember one time I dist-upgrade 6.06 and X just stopped functioning due to module issues.

I swear by debian. Like someone said... rpm annoys me.

Like someone else said too.... each to their own. Use whatever works best and comfortable for you. If you want bleeding edge apps, give arch or gentoo a try.

Definately running an OS you are comfortable with is the key. I have a lot of experience with Debian and Ubuntu and some with FreeBSD. Each has their pros and cons. Like I said before Debian, Ubuntu and FreeBSD are all very well designed and engineered operating systems. Very stable and solid. I have been using Debian for 7 or 8 years now and for 5 of those years I managed a data center where all our internal servers were Debian. The servers were Redhat 9 before I came to manage the data center. Now I use Debian, Ubuntu and FreeBSD depending on what purpose the server will be used for. Debian is always a solid choice though.

All the best.

I personally have servers running CentOS, Ubuntu, and Debian. My favorite machines to work with are the Debian/Ubuntu ones simply because I love how the Debian system is laid out / what it has to offer. That being said there's absolutely nothing wrong with CentOS - as mentioned previously it's essentially RHEL.

The only downfall to Debian is the packages in the repository are slow to update.
    Cody R.
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly Serving websites since 2004.
    Official Let's Encrypt Sponsor

guys,

There are primaraly 2 leading Linux distros, Red Hat and Debian. Before the flames come, I know there are more but don't feel like comparing them all.

1. CentOS is binary compatible with RH. CentOS only has images changed and re-compiles. Because RH is found in more enterprise environments, there is better commercial driver support that may not be found in non RH distros.
    2. Fedora is a testing platform for Red Hat and should never, ever, did I say never be used in a production environment where money is at stake. Consider it Beta.
    3. Ubuntu is pretty much Debian and is about as stable as Debian but with a few ease of use features such as great howto's.
    4. There is a large amount of community support for any of the mentioned distros. Additionally, you can find commercial support for any of them as well but it will cost.

The choice of distro is a personal one but in the end, picking one comes down to which one does the job. I have a mix of Ubuntu, Debian, CentOS and Windows servers in my environment, all stable and running well with each distro chosen for specific needs.
    ZZ Servers - Business Hosting, HIPAA and PCI Compliant Hosting Solutions - http://www.zzservers.com
    Xen Virtual Private Servers | Dedicated Servers | Shared Hosting
    Custom configurations, firewall, VPN, load balancers, private networks and more.

Quote Originally Posted by rlxsystems View Post
    Definately running an OS you are comfortable with is the key. I have a lot of experience with Debian and Ubuntu and some with FreeBSD. Each has their pros and cons. Like I said before Debian, Ubuntu and FreeBSD are all very well designed and engineered operating systems. Very stable and solid. I have been using Debian for 7 or 8 years now and for 5 of those years I managed a data center where all our internal servers were Debian. The servers were Redhat 9 before I came to manage the data center. Now I use Debian, Ubuntu and FreeBSD depending on what purpose the server will be used for. Debian is always a solid choice though.
    Until the next Guy comes along and says "I want Red Hat."
    HostGuard.net - VPS Control Panel
    Automating and monitoring your hosting business.

I thought linux just works. But i see this nagging comments like which is the best. I would choose Fedora or centos.

For a hosting company , they not only looking for OS. It need some additional softwares too, like control panels , monitoring tools , server managers . Basically Cenots support all these features . This is one of the reasons too
    24x7 PROACTIVE SERVER MANAGEMENT | OUTSOURCED WEB HOSTING SUPPORT
    Sales : sales @ syslint.com | Call us : (+91)9447607799 | Are you looking for DevOps Admins ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast