Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thats it never tipping again

They just did a little thing on KTLA news saying tips were down. I didn't really catch it as I was making breakfast at the time, but one lady said tipping is part of the meal and you have to do it. Owners said if you cannot tip you should get take out or order something smaller. Thinking like this just makes me mad... Well I actually quit tipping a few years ago (unless the service was good) because society said I had to. They just seemed to expect it regardless if they are awful. I do tip the cooks though. /rant haha

Wait staff aren't paid all that well and rely on tips to survive. I agree that I don't like to be told I have to, but I won't punish the folks that work so hard and get paid so little just because of that.

They can't force you. It is, however, the right thing to do as long as the service was decent.
    Your one stop shop for decentralization

Waitresses/waiters make less than minimum wage. They make up for it in tips, its how they make a living. You can't live on $2-$3 an hour, and that would be a good paying server.

Granted, no one likes to be told what they have to do, but if you want to boycott tipping, then perhaps you just shouldn't eat out.
    g.
    "In youth we learn; in age we understand"
    Marie Von Ebner-Eschenbach

If you can't or won't tip. Stay home.

Seriously I grew up in the Restaurant industry and to recieve good or above AVG. service and not tip atleast 15% here in the United States is rude.

If you cant afford to tip you can't afford to dine out.

Here's a list of what Tipped Employee's make per state.

http://www.dol.gov/esa/whd/state/tipped.htm

Depending on where you work.. When I was in College I waitied on Tables Full Time. Made about 600-800 per week Gross.
    That was about 18 years ago.
    My IP >> 127.0.0.1 Hack Away!!

Not from the US and looking at the comments here; i cant think of anything else that something is seriously flawed here.

i.e.
    Waitresses/waiters make less than minimum wage.
    If this is true, what is a MINIMUM wage then set for ?

Again i dont know the system; but from my point of view minimum wages are just that; minimum wages, anyone giving their employees less punishable by law.

Quote Originally Posted by 040Hosting View Post
    By law, there is a minimum wage for service workers who receive tips that is seperate from the standard minimum wage. It can vary from state to state, as they can pass their own minimum or use the federal level.
    Rob Farrell :: Product Manager - Hosting & Cloud Vertical :: Penton
    Web Hosting Talk | WHIR | HostingCon

The rules for food service people are different than for "regular" jobs. Tipping was so common in that industry that the rules for minimum wages factored in the tips as part of that wage. I would assume it was to encourage better service (at least appearing to be for that), but who knows the real reasons. I do know that wait staff pay taxes on tips, and some places share them equally among staff regardless of who actually got it.

^^ was slower than Rob
    Your one stop shop for decentralization

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    wait staff pay taxes on tips
    Only the tips they claim they receive at the end of each shift
    Rob Farrell :: Product Manager - Hosting & Cloud Vertical :: Penton
    Web Hosting Talk | WHIR | HostingCon

Quote Originally Posted by rfarrell View Post
    By law, there is a minimum wage for service workers who receive tips that is seperate from the standard minimum wage. It can vary from state to state, as they can pass their own minimum or use the federal level.
    Thanks for explaining (like i said, we dont use such a system here). So if i understand it correctly the goverment calculates the rough estimate of the tips a person can get monthly and allowed a company to pay less due to that ?

Sounds confusing to me, and a tax nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick67 View Post
    If you can't or won't tip. Stay home.

If you cant afford to tip you can't afford to dine out.

I make more then enough to tip lol it's comments like this I won't unless the service is amazing. I have worked the service industry when I was flat broke so I know what it's like. Don't like your wage, quit. Let someone else have it. Can't afford to quit? Then don't complain when I don't likethe service and choose not to pay your cellphone bill. Had a kid when your 15 and expecting me to dish out extra for average service? Not gonna happen. I know all about what it's like so don't tell me how hard it is to make it.

Quote Originally Posted by rfarrell View Post
    Only the tips they claim they receive at the end of each shift
    Wrong.

All sales are tallied via the register and each waitperson is required to pay taxes based on a income that is calculated to
    8% of your gross sales.

If you are claiming less than 8% of your sales you will be allocated at the end of the year.

As For Jesse.

Your comment seems to imply that you think all waitstaff are uneducated teen parents or something. How ignorant and is exactly why you don't tip(ignorance).

You honestly expect excellent or above average service in a place where you just stiffed someone on a tip?

LOL.

I suggest you stick to Denny's or the likes as fine dining establishments employ professional staff. Most can make upwards of 60K a year.

Hell I was a executive Chef for close to 20 years and I had some staff making more than me and I was over 75K.

Of course our PPA was about 75.00 without drinks.

Thier minimum wage is lower becasue they recieve tips to offset it and in most cases unless Jesse is at your table they make more.
    Last edited by Patrick67; 08-25-2009 at 11:32 AM.

A bit off topic, but here's an interesting interview of Nanci Pelosi about the minimum wage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pFC3LKMIQo

I suggest you stick to Denny's or the likes
    In my experience, you need to be careful with tips at Denny's. My local Denny's, back when I used to eat there, had some sort of policy where their wait staff could add gratuity into your bill, without telling you, whenever they wanted. It was all very inconsistent. Sometimes tips would be added to the bills and other times they would not. I would always leave good tips but it sort of soured me on them after having their wait staff slip the tip on the bill one too many times. I was left wondering how many times I left 25-40% tips to still have them add the tip on to my bill as well. It was something I never expected because they did not advertise it and did not previously do this. I've since stopped eating there, just seemed a bit too sneaky to me.
    Last edited by john2k; 08-25-2009 at 11:46 AM.
    ...john2k...

Quote Originally Posted by john2k View Post
    A bit off topic, but here's an interesting interview of Nanci Pelosi about the minimum wage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pFC3LKMIQo

In my experience, you need to be careful with tips at Denny's. My local Denny's, back when I used to eat there, had some sort of policy where their wait staff could add gratuity into your bill, without telling you, whenever they wanted. It was all very inconsistent. Sometimes tips would be added to the bills and other times they would not. I would always leave good tips but it sort of soured me on them after having their wait staff slip the tip on the bill one too many times. I was left wondering how many times I left 25-40% tips to still have them add the tip on to my bill as well. It was something I never expected because they did not advertise it and did not previously do this. I've since stopped eating there, just seemed a bit too sneaky to me.
    If gratuity is added it must be clearly posted that a gratuity will be added to the check. if not it's illegal.

Most places will add 18% for parties of 8 or more.

I also noticed last time I was in Miami that Gratuity is added since they get alot of Europeans and gratuity is included there, so most do not tip as they do not know it's expected.
    Last edited by Patrick67; 08-25-2009 at 11:55 AM.

I actually consider myself to be a great tipper. I know how hard it is to be a waiter or waitress. But, I will not trip them if I only see them once to get my order, another time to bring me the food and for the check. I have my own set range, as far as the tip godes in my head if I feel they are 'trying'. Very interesting topic!
    We develop brand identity for the web.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Services ~ Custom Web Design, Branding & Identity, Development, Hosting & more!
    Portfolio ~ Websites, User Interfaces, Widgets & more!

I dislike the American tipping culture compared to the UK. In the States they always list "recommended concessions" - you'll get what I give you and put up with it. In the UK, people are grateful of w.e. they get.

If I feel happy with the food and service, I'll tip them.

You can force tip if you want lo as for dennys we do nit have them in Canada that I know of but I do like places like that. Kelseys, montanas, east side marios. They always have excellent service.

Wrong.

All sales are tallied via the register and each waitperson is required to pay taxes based on a income that is calculated to
    8% of your gross sales.

If you are claiming less than 8% of your sales you will be allocated at the end of the year.

As For Jesse.

Your comment seems to imply that you think all waitstaff are uneducated teen parents or something. How ignorant and is exactly why you don't tip(ignorance).

You honestly expect excellent or above average service in a place where you just stiffed someone on a tip?

LOL.

I suggest you stick to Denny's or the likes as fine dining establishments employ professional staff. Most can make upwards of 60K a year.

Hell I was a executive Chef for close to 20 years and I had some staff making more than me and I was over 75K.

Of course our PPA was about 75.00 without drinks.

Thier minimum wage is lower becasue they recieve tips to offset it and in most cases unless Jesse is at your table they make more.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse_613 View Post
    You can force tip if you want lo as for dennys we do nit have them in Canada that I know of but I do like places like that. Kelseys, montanas, east side marios. They always have excellent service.
    Did you just say theres no Dennys in Canada? They're everywhere. I must have been to the local one at least 20 times over the years and I've never had the tip show up on the bill.
    || Higher Intellect || Half a million documents and climbing.
    || OMGWTFBBQ || Nothing of value here.

Off subject a little, but whats really good when writing out the tip at the end of a meal, is you take your receipt and write a HUGE tip that your date can see. Then when she's not looking write a normal tip and swap them as you stand up.
    Limestone Networks - Dedicated Server Hosting
    Premium Network - 24/7/365 Support - Dual Intel Xeon Servers Now Available
    Dallas Datacenter - Fully Routed Backend Network
    http://www.limestonenetworks.com 1-877-586-0555

I always have this odd feeling, if I go to a restaurant and not tip, and the waiter/waitress remembers me. Next time I go, they are going to spit on my food.
    All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.

I start at 15% and if the service is exceptional it can go as high as 30%. If service is horrible, it can go as low as 0%.. but that's unusual.

Tipping really is expected and you should expect to tip when you go out to eat. Without tips, wait staff are generally underpaid.

Just my 2c
    Blesta - The Billing Platform for Hosting Providers
    Client Management, Billing, & Support Software
    Trial - Demo | 714-923-7325 | Twitter @blesta

You also have to remeber that where you go should dictate the service level expectation.

ie. Denny's is a drop and run eat place. Le Cave, le Frances or the likes is a full service white tableclothe Dining establishment.

There are exceptions to the rule.

Once I had the worst waiter on the face of the earth. $750.00 tab, I left the guy a penny to let him know he sucked. Afterwards as I was walking out the door he came running up to me, penny in hand saying, "Sir, I think you forgot something".

I said.. Yup sure did and took the penny back. Then handed the Maitre D my business card. There are people that have no business in the service industry, this was one of those people. But to go some place and already know your not going to tip? Don't go period.

Actualy got a call from the owner the next day at my office apologizing and letting me know he fired the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by pphillips View Post
    I start at 15% and if the service is exceptional it can go as high as 30%. If service is horrible, it can go as low as 0%.. but that's unusual.

Tipping really is expected and you should expect to tip when you go out to eat. Without tips, wait staff are generally underpaid.

Just my 2c
    15% is a starting area and if the expected service level is met then it should be paid. Less service go lower, better service go higher. I actualy start @ 20%

Quote Originally Posted by Wulex View Post
    I always have this odd feeling, if I go to a restaurant and not tip, and the waiter/waitress remembers me. Next time I go, they are going to spit on my food.
    If I ever saw someone doing that in my kitchens not only would they be fired! I'd call the police and file assualt charges and whatever else could be done. Another reason I only eat in Fine dining Establishments, the level of professionalism and standards are higher.
    Last edited by Patrick67; 08-25-2009 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by netfreak View Post
    Did you just say theres no Dennys in Canada? They're everywhere. I must have been to the local one at least 20 times over the years and I've never had the tip show up on the bill.
    I didn't say there are none. I said there are none I know of. I'm in London Ontario and I have never seen one

I've said many times I only do not tip if the service is not good. I just ate at east side marios for lunch. My bill was only like $10 for a lunch special and I left $5. Money is no problem. It's the fact I want good service. There is no reason for unfriendly servers. Expecially today with jobs hard to come by

You are all getting upset with me because I do not believe we should be forced to tip on bad service. Get real
    Last edited by Merged; 08-25-2009 at 01:58 PM.

I've said many times I only do not tip if the service is not good. I just ate at east side marios for lunch. My bill was only like $10 for a lunch special and I left $5. Money is no problem. It's the fact I want good service. There is no reason for unfriendly servers. Expecially today with jobs hard to come by
    Agreed on that.

Well I actually quit tipping a few years ago (unless the service was good)
    Although you indicate here you quit tipping, i know unless the service is good. Maybe you need to find better places to eat if you keep getting bad service.

FYI.. tipping low percentages to indicate bad service is more impactive than not tipping at all. NON tippers are seen as cheapskates whereas someone who tips 5%-7% well below standard is seen as showing dissatisfaction of the service.

Also if I get bad service. I tell the server and the manager verbally.

No reason not to go back if you just happen to have a bad experience one time. There are usually many waiters/waitresses. Maybe they were just having a bad day. I don't know. More often then not I have good service. Good service = tip

Agreed on that.

Although you indicate here you quit tipping, i know unless the service is good. Maybe you need to find better places to eat if you keep getting bad service.

FYI.. tipping low percentages to indicate bad service is more impactive than not tipping at all. NON tippers are seen as cheapskates whereas someone who tips 5%-7% well below standard is seen as showing dissatisfaction of the service.

Also if I get bad service. I tell the server and the manager verbally.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast