How DUMB can you be ?

We all know this is a competitive market, but this one make me laugh

Some guy goes to my wizards hosting forums and posts:

Nice way to get clients right ?, go to another hosts's forum, and advertise yourself .. I was pissed .. THEN I visited his site ...

neitherless to say, I feel sorry for them now .. that gives a new meanign to "ugly" site .. :p

cheers .. hehe

Carlos
    WizardsHosting

that site is quite bad.
    LipWeb.Net
    "Less Lip More Service"
    Providing Quality Hosting at Fair Prices
    AIM: LipWebNet MSN: daniel[at]lipweb.net [color=red]

there isent even a place to order on his site, heh
    Chicago Electronic Cigarettes: Tobacco Free, Smoke Free. 3 E-Cig Models, 11 flavors, and accessories.
    http://www.chicago-ecigs.com

note that this guy also spammed here....so maybe you should * out some of the pertinent information....

it's a shame though, look at the "domains section" the flashimation looks pulled from somewhere else but i couldn't find any mention of the host that is mentioned in the flash...

I love the big "[CONTENT HERE] " in the main page ..
    Carlos Rego
    OnApp CVO

The Cloud Engine

it really makes you wonder

omg, what is that person thinking. Do they have the ugliest site award ?? That would definitely hit somewhere on the top.

LOL

He also has the same flash on his "Layout Designing" Page, not that anyone would want a layout design from him, and his TOS Page.

Yes, he made it here, spammed here as well. One step closer to ********
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

Chicken

lol

They can't even spell

its "hosting" not "hasting"

haha

Ouch!
    .: Richard

The domain is a bit odd too....looks like it wasn't intended for a hosting company

hasting

the flash on his domains hosted here even his? had another hosts name on it
    - brian

failing to plan is planning to fail.

And the "I can change the colour of your scrollbar"-design.
    "Stop flame-wars - Report a post"
    The original Kitty Lizard

why would anyone want to advertise a site like this much less claim it to be web hosting ?

and I know that design, from somewhere, I've seen it on a personal site ... racking brain right now

pretty silly

Interesting. The page name leads to another company...hmm, looky here: http://www.powow.com/celenetwork/
    Same person, apparently. Using a free service and offering hacks, cracks and serial numbers.

Found this there:
    October 20th, 2002 CeLeRoN 1:09:57 PM Pacific

I got full control over http://www.darkzone2000. com, and I've decided to use it as a DIABLO 2 site ONLY!. I will be needing webdesigners, graphics designers, news posters. If your interested, please e-mail me at this address: celeron @darkzone2000.com, and that's all the news for now with an exception of the forum down. I realize it's down, and I'll try my best to get it up and running.

well done, RF

what a silly chappie, maybe he's someone's dog learning how to be a woof host

when you click on ftp help

http://www.darkzone2000.com/d2dz2/Ftphelp.html

good luck to him

do you ftp by esp ?

http://www.darkzone2000.com/d2dz2/Order.html

You have to admint this is some nice flash (whether he did it or not, he has taste anyway Sorta!!)
    [url]I got nothing/url]

For clarity's sake, don't use "<ip address of hostname>" use the ACTUAL 32-bit numeric IP address of the machine.

Originally posted by thatguy
    Interesting. The page name leads to another company...hmm, looky here: http://www.powow.com/celenetwork/
    Same person, apparently. Using a free service and offering hacks, cracks and serial numbers.
    LMAO was surfing around on that...and got to a 404 page then it redirected to:
    http://www.freehomepages.com/

some people...
    -Robert Norton
    www.SophMedia.com

Originally posted by Reptilian Feline
    And the "I can change the colour of your scrollbar"-design.
    Wow...that kind of wording takes me back.

Am I dating myself with this, or does anyone else remember web designers listing "We'll put links on your pages" as a separate item, usually in bold (or *shudder* blinking) text? Circa 1994/1995...

I wasn't really into Internet and webdesign back then, but I know what you mean. At one point when flash and shockwave was the new thing people actually really considered designing entire sites in flash. Looked good locally, but then...

And people still go overboard with background images that covers most of the page... and the image is something from a favourite comic... Try reading the text on that page!

Originally posted by living_media

Wow...that kind of wording takes me back.

Am I dating myself with this, or does anyone else remember web designers listing "We'll put links on your pages" as a separate item, usually in bold (or *shudder* blinking) text? Circa 1994/1995...
    homestead !!!!!!!

studentcenter.org used to give web space as well

Originally posted by susannad
    homestead !!!!!!!
    Scarily enough, the sites I remember weren't places like Homestead, but entities who actually collected money from people for web design services. Awrk...

On the flip side, they were dealing with huge amounts of client ignorance. I once had a prospective client ask me if links were extra, and did I charge by the link.

Must...control...shot...at...easy...money! (I think I educated them too well. They ended up deciding that they didn't need a site for their business. They did take me out to a very nice lunch, though.)

Considering you were about to be payed by the link, that better have been a damn good lunch lol.

I blame free host online editors for a lot of the internet trash. Hey, I wonder if they just forgot to upload thier CSS file?????

Originally posted by CRego3D
    We all know this is a competitive market...
    Nice way to get clients right ?, go to another hosts's forum, and advertise yourself ...
    As you already figured, I don't think they are a major threat to you, LOL. Still, how rude to do that.

I once had a prospective client ask me if links were extra, and did I charge by the link.
    Cool, develop 3 portal sites and I'm set for life.

On the serious side of it, I feel that's one of the issues that can hurt our industry.

Like I said, the clients were incredibly ignorant about web design and the Internet in general. I explained to them that links were an integral part of web pages, that a designer shouldn't have to state that they'd be included, that I charged by the hour, and that their best bet, since they weren't sure what they wanted, would be to start small and simple. That would keep their investment down until they knew what they wanted, keep them from spending money needlessly. They liked hearing that. They went away from that meeting very very happy that they'd found an internet professional who would level with them. The next meeting was the fancy lunch where they explained that they had a meeting and decided that they didn't really want to have a web site after all...and they hoped that I didn't take it personally. I told them, "Of course not, it's a business decision on your part, and it's smarter to be cautious with your company's money".

Then I ordered the filet mignon.

Bad me, bad me...

Like I said, the clients were incredibly ignorant about web design and the Internet in general. I explained to them that links were an integral part of web pages, that a designer shouldn't have to state that they'd be included, that I charged by the hour, and that their best bet, since they weren't sure what they wanted, would be to start small and simple. That would keep their investment down until they knew what they wanted, keep them from spending money needlessly. They liked hearing that. They went away from that meeting very very happy that they'd found an internet professional who would level with them. The next meeting was the fancy lunch where they explained that they had a meeting and decided that they didn't really want to have a web site after all...and they hoped that I didn't take it personally. I told them, "Of course not, it's a business decision on your part, and it's smarter to be cautious with your company's money".

Then I ordered the filet mignon.

Bad me, bad me...
    ------------------------------------------------

On the serious side of it, I feel that's one of the issues that can hurt our industry.
    I hope you didn't think that my statement was directed towards you. Only the first line about the 3 sites was a reply to your post.

I meant it towards the original post of this thread. People think they can slap something together on a WYSIWYG editor and think they can run a hosting/web solution business.

Oh, I know, punaboy - no worries ;-> Other people replied commenting on the situation, so I thought I'd share the rest of the story.

One of the biggest difficulties I faced back then was undoing all the bad habits and mis-education that other, eager-to-make-a-buck designer wannabes caused. Yet, with this background, I still went into webhosting, an industry which seems to be as filled with opportunists as web design was back in the day...

Guess I didn't learn anything.