Speed or Monthly Transfer limits?

Hi,

Im semi-new to the vps world and have some questions about speed.

I see that on average, starter vps packages, are in the $40 - $50 per month range. I also see that vps providers tend not to list connection speed among the specifications of the service. Some only list data volume transfer per month and some list the price per additional GB for overages.

Whats the usual connection speed for an average vps as shown above?

On one hand, a company that offers, say 500Gbytes per month might be an indication of a 1.5Mbits/sec connection, which I find to be slow for a server. I would expect a server to be able to feed data downstream at no less than 10Mbits/sec. On the other hand, a 10Mbits/sec connection, also means that if someone decides to latch onto your vps and do a full month, continuous download, the vps usage will go to roughly 3,200 GB, which means that you will end up paying through your nose for overage or that your vps will be disconnected after roughly 4 days of this, depending on the company providing the vps hosting.

A 1.5Mbit/s connection ensures that my VPS will always be within the limit, but the web sites I host there will be sluggish. A 10Mbit/s connection will keep my clients happy, but I risk either having the vps cut-off from the world (which will stop that happiness on its tracks), or cost me a fortune.

What is the norm in terms of connection speed? Is there any way for me to control things a bit so they dont get out of hand?

Thanks!

You can always request a test file and ip to get a general idea of the speeds you should be getting. The majority of VPS providers are on 100mbit connections and I've seen others that offer up to 1000mbit connections.

What do you plan on using the VPS for?
    Psychz Networks - Dedicated Servers, Co-location | GigePipe - High Bandwidth Servers | PhotonVPS - SSD Cloud
    True Layer 7 DDoS Mitigation | BGP Optimized by Noction Intelligent Routing | Asia-Pacific Low Latency Routes
    Los Angeles, CA (US West) | Dallas, TX (US East) | Ashburn, VA (US East)

Hi Photon,

I'm hosting a couple of web sites (some have a large number of pictures), but I'm not too concerned about that, as traffic is well within limits, as well as email.

The other use for it is remote backup, which is what I need the speed for.

The volume of data transferred would still be within limit, but I need to ensure that if I'm given a 10Mbit/s connection I can somehow limit things if they should get out of hand (i.e. DOS attack or other things that could spike the usage and cause some serious damage to my wallet).

Thanks for your quick reply!

ns

Limiting port speed per VPS Windows or Linux can be done. Generally called VDS or Hybrid. Though they are a little more than the standard VPS and generally require special programming in order to do, or having multiple nic cards in a server to dedicate per VPS. Most of the time not using the standard market panels as well, though it is possible to due as well with secondary programming of another application to work along side with the market panel, but not impossible.

These VDS/VPS can also dedicate an unmetered 10/20/30+ Mbps port to a VPS while having other VPS on the standard usage policy. This also includes having one machine using the standard 98 percentile rule, while one VPS can be on an unmetered 10/20/30+ Mbps specially programmed and the help from a helpful DC or additional nic card port for the machine, which could cost the VPS provider a little more to do.

In short, what you are wanting and asking for can be done with the right provider.
    Last edited by MyWinsVPS; 08-24-2009 at 04:25 AM.
    www.MyWinsVPS.com - Quality Engineered Linux/Windows 2003/2008 Dedicated VPS Provider - "VDS/VPS Setup AVAILABLE!!!"
    No Overloading of Machines, Dedicated Burstable Port Speeds, CPU, Ram, and HD - Now Offering Linux CentOS

A 1.5Mbit/s connection ensures that my VPS will always be within the limit, but the web sites I host there will be sluggish. A 10Mbit/s connection will keep my clients happy, but I risk either having the vps cut-off from the world (which will stop that happiness on its tracks), or cost me a fortune.
    If you are not offering any real time services like video/audio streaming, a slower port speed might be OK to deal with and you would also be getting greater bandwidth to spend...
    █ All time best VPS Hosting is now more affordable
    █ Compare different VPS hosting Providers
    █ Ultimate place for Top VPS Hosting Comparison
    █ Reviews | Ratings | News | Articles | Forum | Offers

It is common when considering a hosting plan to be afraid of overages, often leading to a desire to limit port connection. In reality, overages rarely happen unless you are engaged in activity that would result in high bandwidth usage. Here are a few things to consider.

First, you are correct--limiting port speed will limit the positive experience of your visitors. Since most high-speed homes are wired with at least 5 Mbps download speeds, a 1.5 Mbps cap will result in an individual experiencing lower-than-normal download performance.

Second, keep in mind that the total bandwidth usage of your site in a month is based on how many people visit multiplied by the average data downloaded per visitor. If you have a 10 MB file that every visitor will download, your data transfer total won't change just by limiting your port speed. It may simply take 10 times longer to download if you reduce the port speed to 1/10th, for example.

Third, I'd be cautious of any plan that cuts you off after you hit your limit. There are tools for you to monitor your bandwidth usage on a regular basis including totals month-to-date. Most decent hosts will work with you if your usage is higher than you anticipated. This should include tracking bandwidth "leaks," upgrading your plan temporarily (should a higher plan eliminate overages for far less than paying the overage pricing), and overage forgiveness if you are hacked, for example.

I've been in hosting for a long time, and my suggestion would be to find a plan with a generous bandwidth allotment on as fast a port as you can, 100 Mbps at least, with a host who will work with you. This gives you the best of all scenarios. Your visitors will get fast performance, your site most likely won't go over the plan, and if it does, you aren't stuck holding a big bill with no options!

Best of luck!
    ServInt
    Providing Managed VPS for over 11 years
    Managed Dedicated Servers for almost 19 years!
    http://www.servint.net

If it really comes down to it, I suppose you could employ bandwidth throttling via Apache (I suppose that's the web server you'll be using). There should be plenty of tutorials around for doing that.