Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    33

    Dedicated server options

    I am looking for a host that is similiar to Softlayer in offerings/service.

    I have had good luck with them and really like their services but have a client that likes to mix up his servers both geographically and host.

    We are using the Dallas SL DC and are looking for something in general Chicago area or East Coast (WDC/NY/etc). I have had good luck with The Planet in the past but they seem to only be located in Dallas/Houston. Not looking for any one on the SL network (10tb, etc) as that would kind of defeat the point.

    I have had good luck with FDC but have mainly only used them for more bandwith heavy services rather than high performance servers and am just not sure I want to use them yet.

    I am in the market for a dual proc/quad core setup. Ability to customize (similiar to SL) is preferred.

    Any suggestions?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Houston, Texas, USA
    Posts
    2,955
    Try Gigenet. I have no experience with their services or whether they're fit for the purpose. I just know they offer servers in Chicago. Curious, are you looking to implement some sort of geo failover or just not wanting to put all eggs in one basket?

    Regards
    UNIXy - Fully Managed Servers and Clusters - Established in 2006
    [ cPanel Varnish Nginx Plugin ] - Enhance LiteSpeed and Apache Performance
    www.unixy.net - Los Angeles | Houston | Atlanta | Rotterdam
    Love to help pro bono (time permitting). joe > unixy.net

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    33
    The general idea is just to not put all the eggs in one basket.

    Failover/load balancing/etc would all be future projects.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    63

    Talking reply

    I am more then sure, if you need reliable provider and great services then check Caro.net. We were their resellers for 5 years, and never have any problems with them!
    Last edited by Billingchamp; 08-24-2009 at 11:37 AM. Reason: :)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    APE: 6202A
    Posts
    1,273
    SL have DC in east and west coast, so I don't understand your search?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    EU & USA
    Posts
    3,684
    Quote Originally Posted by hosteur View Post
    SL have DC in east and west coast, so I don't understand your search?
    Seems the OP does not want to have all his equipment into one company; even though SL operates in different locations it is the same company with the same setup in all these Datacenters. While i believe SL is a very solid company and personally would choose another SL datacenter, i can understand the OP's question; he will just miss out on the private network approach when he starts looking into failovers

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by 040Hosting View Post
    Seems the OP does not want to have all his equipment into one company; even though SL operates in different locations it is the same company with the same setup in all these Datacenters. While i believe SL is a very solid company and personally would choose another SL datacenter, i can understand the OP's question; he will just miss out on the private network approach when he starts looking into failovers
    I don't disagree at all and IMHO I would prefer to use SL and utilize their East Coast/West Coast DC's. However, the client I am supporting has had bad personal experiences bundling all of their eggs into one basket (or in this case a couple of baskets held by the same company). I really like SL which is why I was looking to something equivalent to them that had a east coast/semi east coast presence.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    EU & USA
    Posts
    3,684
    Quote Originally Posted by mkern View Post
    I don't disagree at all and IMHO I would prefer to use SL and utilize their East Coast/West Coast DC's. However, the client I am supporting has had bad personal experiences bundling all of their eggs into one basket (or in this case a couple of baskets held by the same company). I really like SL which is why I was looking to something equivalent to them that had a east coast/semi east coast presence.
    Not disagreeing with your customer either sometimes things can go awfully wrong when a company files for bankruptcy i.e.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A
    Posts
    116
    there are a few providers in the industry located in Chicago and Midwest area. You might want to checkout the offer section or do a google search
    Miguel Villegas, VP Sales & New Business Development CloudMega.net
    CloudMega, Inc. US | CloudMega, Ltd UK
    US Toll Free: 888.401.2006 | Intl +1 312.757.5400
    UK Toll Free: 0800.368.9925 | Intl +44 20.3540.7807

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    33
    It's not that I can't find providers it's that I am trying to find providers that come recommended. I have read through tons of reviews on here just trying to see if someone has something in mind that maybe I missed.

Similar Threads

  1. server options for dedicated web app
    By Crooner in forum Dedicated Server
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-29-2009, 02:32 PM
  2. Dedicated Server Options
    By tathompson in forum Dedicated Server
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-12-2008, 03:32 AM
  3. Dedicated Server Options
    By pug in forum Dedicated Server
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-16-2006, 11:14 AM
  4. New Dedicated Server Options
    By ReliableServers in forum Shared Hosting Offers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-06-2001, 09:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •