Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why And Why Not To Buy Yearly?

Why do you or don't you but yearly?

I don't because im always scared that the company may be would fall apart and down and ill lose my money.

I never been in this situation. But have you?

I would pay yearly from a company like hostgator or some one that is registerd for a long time.

Would you???

PROS:
    --------
    Generally a cheaper rate
    Waive of a setup fee (if any)
    Perks like a free domain

CONS:
    --------
    Could disappear with your money
    Service could become unreliable
    Support could become unreliable
    May not give you the free domain if / when you leave

I personally don't buy yearly from any company. That said, our clients like to purchase our services yearly and even bi-yearly which does net them a bit of a discount. We won't be going anywhere for a while though. Of course, as a client you have no way to know these types of things so it requires a lot of trust.

I would always sign up on a monthly plan and then once you have tried out the service and happy with it - upgrade to the cheaper rate via a yearly plan.

About the only time I would consider paying yearly, was if there was a way to get a refund for time left if for some reason I found that service had declines or I had outgrown my package. I wouldn't have a problem with a "cancellation fee" of the difference between the higher priced package for the time completed and the lower price package of the yearly.

I'm pretty much done with long term contracts thanks to cell phone companies.
    Last edited by LadySDevil; 08-23-2009 at 05:00 PM.

We have a few clients as well who prefer to purchase on a yearly basis. Usually with annual plans you get a nice discount, a couple of months free or a free domain among other things that makes it attractive to certain people. Personally I would recommend you always try the service of a company you're interested in for a couple of months or so before going annual, even with large companies like HostGator. Paying annually requires commitment, and it makes little sense to make that commitment without knowing what exactly it is you're getting into in terms of service and support quality.

Back in my shared hosting days, yearly or biennially was a non-issue due to how inexpensive it is. But now that we are running dedicated servers, I generally do quarterly if there is a price break.

I usually advise people to try the hosting on a monthly basis for a few months and when they are comfortable, to go and switch to the annual plan

but I've personally never signed up for any annual hosting - most was semi-annual for a vps back in the day.

I tend to go for annual. Its usually close to 2-3 months before i've got a proper view of how good/bad a provider is, and the quantities of money involved would not be a major disaster to write off if they'd turned into a complete disasters.

Most of our shared hosting customers choose annually to take advantage of the savings, as long as the company has been around a while I guess it gives them piece of mind.

With yearly subscribe you almost always get some freebies (like free domain). Usually it is much more cheaper (comparing to monthly rate). And you don't have to remember about paying your bills every month... But - there is always some "BUT" when it sounds so good - you must be sure about host quality when you choose it, so you would not want to move after first month of using it. I pay yearly for my hosting, but I am really sure about my hosting provider quality.
    Web Hosting Reviews - Find best hosting service for you!

I always buy my hosting yearly. Unless it is for a client, or if it is a very large hosting package.

It is cheaper to buy yearly. I don't like free domains because in most cases the web host remains the owner of them, some refuse to transfer them when you leave their hosting servies.

I understand some of your conserns about the company failing, but if you pay via paypal you can claim your money back in most cases.

Buy a yearly plan from the host if you are really confident and comfortable with their hosting account features and supports that your might receive through out the year.
    Of course this is a good investment of your web business with cheaper hosting fees for 1 year.

Smile

If you are not entierly sure about the services someone offers you can also pay for one month to start with as kind of a trial. Then when you are happy with the services you can then change your billing cycle to a year!

If you are buying cheap hosting, paying yearly is cheaper and saves time. Some companies may go out of business , but I consider it a good learning experience.

I generally would always go yearly for simple reason if something came up and your paypal account was empty this month and what not some hosts can get upset about this and bad things can happen! Other than that its another bill you don't have to worry about if its on a yearly basis. But before you do this make sure the host has good reviews so you can be almost certain it wont dissolve.

Back in my shared hosting days, yearly or biennially was a non-issue due to how inexpensive it is.
    Indeed, for me the answer would mostly depend on the total sum we'd be talking about. Paying $100 in advance, to a company with a good track record, I would do, as I wouldn't mind losing it all that much. Switch that to $1000, and I would be reluctant to do so.

In fewer words, I'd pay up yearly for the typical shared hosting accounts of today, especially if there's a significant discount involved.

Generally the longer you sign up for the better your pricing is going to be. Not only does it save you money but it saves the provider money in transaction fees as well which is definitely a good thing for them.

If you are unsure about whether a company will be around next year or not then perhaps you should look at another company in the first place. There are a lot of hosts out there and there are a lot of reputable ones.

Some charge nearly the same price for monthly/yearly and then others the difference in cost is like night and day. Read their Terms of Service concerning refunds and make your decision
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

In most cases a long term contract means great deals! If you are nervous about committing to a annual contract, try them out on a monthly basis for at least 3 months, if not more. While there is always a slight risk, in most cases the savings is well worth the risk. Either way, always, always back your site yourself!
    The Web Hosting Network
    Innovative Hosting Solutions Personal Support & Sales
    Superior Web Site Hosting Since 1999

Cool

I don't believe in long-term period. I ony allow 2 clients I know personally to even pay this way. My attitude is make the monthly price fair, then the burden is on the host to live up to your expectations every month. If they don't there is nothing to keep you from leaving and it's more likely you will change hosts instead of being 1/2 way through a year and be here posting about problems with downtime or support or whatever.
    My "attitude" problem goes WAY back to the early days of hosting when I just had a few sites of my own and the company I was with offered a great deal to go yearly. They had been very good so me (and I'm sure many others) signed up and paid for the year. Service started to decline after a month with tickets seldom being answered or very slow etc. and in 2 months they were gone--vanished-with everybody's money. So while you could save a few bucks, I believe it puts more "pressure" on the host to deliver good performance if you use monthly.
    But to each his own... (do watch for all the "fine print" terms of what happens if you cancel early) And I agree with the above-if they do offer a discount do AT LEAST 3 months before going long term
    New Idea Hosting NO Overselling-Business-Grade, Shared Only! New-In House Design Team.
    High Speed & Uptime; , DIY Pro-Site Builder-Daily Backups-Custom Plans, All Dual Xeon Quad Intel servers w/ ECC DDR3 RAM SCSI RAID minimums.
    We Concentrate on Shared Hosting ...doing one thing and doing it VERY well

Quote Originally Posted by DDT View Post
    I don't believe in long-term period. I ony allow 2 clients I know personally to even pay this way. My attitude is make the monthly price fair, then the burden is on the host to live up to your expectations every month. If they don't there is nothing to keep you from leaving and it's more likely you will change hosts instead of being 1/2 way through a year and be here posting about problems with downtime or support or whatever.
    My "attitude" problem goes WAY back to the early days of hosting when I just had a few sites of my own and the company I was with offered a great deal to go yearly. They had been very good so me (and I'm sure many others) signed up and paid for the year. Service started to decline after a month with tickets seldom being answered or very slow etc. and in 2 months they were gone--vanished-with everybody's money. So while you could save a few bucks, I believe it puts more "pressure" on the host to deliver good performance if you use monthly.
    But to each his own... (do watch for all the "fine print" terms of what happens if you cancel early) And I agree with the above-if they do offer a discount do AT LEAST 3 months before going long term
    It's still up to the business to provide what they promise. Regardless of payment terms, month to month, quarterly, annually, etc. Negative reviews and charge backs would not be fun to deal with if you don't take care of your clients. I'd say it is just much pressure for a business to provide any payment term. That is if the business has any sort of serious aspirations as well as any real business sense.

Quote Originally Posted by DDT View Post
    I don't believe in long-term period. I ony allow 2 clients I know personally to even pay this way. My attitude is make the monthly price fair, then the burden is on the host to live up to your expectations every month.
    There is the burden to provide good service no matter what - the primary benefit I see to going for a longer term is that the provider is able to save on transaction fees which will generally allow a lower price for the consumer.

Of course every business is going to do things the way it feels best so I'm not saying you're wrong, just giving my opinion on your opinion
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

You always get the best deal when you go with anual. But if you are not sure about the company go with a month to start with then change your billing cycle to yearly to get the discounts!

No way I'm buying yearly. Too many things can go wrong lol It's true that you save plus no setup fee,but I just wouldn't trust it.

It comes down to finances for me. In a way I'd rather pay upfront and not have to worry about it for another year. But then it depends if I can afford to pay it all at once. If I'm not sure if I want the service for a whole year or don't trust the company then I obviously won't pay it all at once.

If you really trust a webhost or know from experience from other people that it is a solid company, I would go for annually (you can always check how long they are in business already). They are often cheaper and it saves you the trouble of doing payments each month.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast