A Xen VPS host I'm looking at offers the following free OS options:

centos 5
    suse 11
    ubuntu 8
    ubuntu 9
    fedora 10
    gentoo
    centos 5 linux

I assume that once installed, I won't have to deal with the OS (I never did with my shared hosting account, I hope VPS is mostly the same if I have some support from the host)

Which of these are the most popular (and I assume the best option for my purposes as a non-techy guy)

If it's not a managed VPS, be prepared to fiddle with the OS. Be sure to pick a well managed VPS. All are for techies but the one that has the most help online is centos 5. Ubuntu is too experimental especially for OpenX installs.

Regards
    UNIXy - Fully Managed Servers and Clusters - Established in 2006
    Server Management - Unlimited Servers. Unlimited Requests. One Plan!
    cPanel Varnish Plugin -- Seamless SSL Caching (Let's Encrypt, AutoSSL, etc)
    Slow Site or Server? Unable to handle traffic? Same day performance fix: joe@unixy

My vote goes to CentOS as well, it's proven its worth in the server arena.

Moved > VPS Forum.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

Also, based on your description you're most likely going to need more than semi-managed. Especially with regards to security and up keep. Be sure to ask if they are willing to install OpenX.

Good luck
    UNIXy - Fully Managed Servers and Clusters - Established in 2006
    Server Management - Unlimited Servers. Unlimited Requests. One Plan!
    cPanel Varnish Plugin -- Seamless SSL Caching (Let's Encrypt, AutoSSL, etc)
    Slow Site or Server? Unable to handle traffic? Same day performance fix: joe@unixy

I assume that once installed, I won't have to deal with the OS (I never did with my shared hosting account, I hope VPS is mostly the same if I have some support from the host)
    Better go with a fully managed VPS then

Managing a server takes skill, time, and the willingness to learn from mistakes. You will need to maintain your environment and ensure everything is in good working order. You will need to keep a close eye on things all the time.

If you do not feel comfortable dealing with the extensive configurations and responsibilities required under a VPS then please go for a fully managed provider
    Daniel | Server Complete, LLC
    INSTANTLY DEPLOYED Bare Metal Servers
    Wholly owned hardware and self operated network (AS19531) in Jacksonville, FL

CentOS! most people use it and masses of support for it.
    BotWars.io - Code the AI of your Battle Bot!

CentOS 5 gets my vote!

Remember to run in SSH, yum update once it's been installed.

I would recommend CentOS 5.3 !
    also is your processor 32 bit or 64 bit ?

Talking CentOS

I strongly recommend CentOS 5.x or 4.x. I experencied ALL Linux distros in VPS and real servers, including Mandriva, Slack and more; ALL Debian and Free BSD and the best in this OS universe is CentOS, no doubt. But if you also need a Linux OS for your desktop (home PC) I recommend Ubuntu latest release.9.04 - the Jaunty Jackalope - released in April 2009.
    The-REV, OS/2 Guru
    http://macarloshark.com/
    Trusted Since 1997
    Blog: http://my.opera.com/The-REV/blog/

Quote Originally Posted by MapleHosting View Post
    Linux I think.
    CentOS = Linux

Oh ok, I never knew that
    Thank you
    No problem

Take a peek here: http://distrowatch.com/ These are pretty much all Linux, and some BSD, etc...

Is CentOS an OS based on Linux?
    It is one of the many branches of Linux yes.

Here is a family tree: http://www.blowfisher.net/gallery/d/...amily-tree.gif it's a little outdated, but you get the idea. Also it's in no way a complete example of what Linux was, is and will be.
    Last edited by MikeTrike; 08-23-2009 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTrike View Post
    It is one of the many branches of Linux yes.

Here is a family tree: http://www.blowfisher.net/gallery/d/...amily-tree.gif it's a little outdated, but you get the idea. Also it's in no way a complete example of what Linux was, is and will be.

Centos is the same as redhat enterprise linux without the cost

Stick with CentOS, as its one of the most common flavors of Linux and you can find support on it fairly easy.
    Psychz Networks - Dedicated Servers, Co-location | PhotonVPS - SSD Cloud | YardVPS - Storage VPS
    True Layer 7 DDoS Mitigation | BGP Optimized by Noction Intelligent Routing | Asia-Pacific Low Latency Routes
    6 Continents - 14 Cities - LAX, DAL, CHI, ASH, LON, AMS, JNB, TPE, TKY, BOM, GRU, BCN, SIN, SYD, ICN, MOS

I will go for ubuntu, easy and stable and plenty of help pouring in these days
    █ All time best VPS Hosting is now more affordable
    █ Compare different VPS hosting Providers
    █ Ultimate place for Top VPS Hosting Comparison
    █ Reviews | Ratings | News | Articles | Forum | Offers

Centos 5.3 has my vote.

Use Centos . It is a RHEL based distribution. It supported by most of the control panels and server softwares
    24x7 PROACTIVE SERVER MANAGEMENT | OUTSOURCED WEB HOSTING SUPPORT
    Sales : sales @ syslint.com | Call us : (+91)9447607799 | Are you looking for DevOps Admins ?

I am sure most vote will get for CentOS.
    SUPPORT FACILITY | 24/7 TECH SUPPORT
    SERVER MANAGEMENT | WEB HOSTING SUPPORT | WP EXPERTS

Another vote for centos , it's the best out there.

Oh no!

Not AGAIN this of topic, with people saying CentOS, CentOS, CentOS, CentOS, CentOS, CentOS, CentOS, without any valid reasons, if any reason is given at all. It goes in loop, this makes no sense. It's totally useless, and the author of the original post should have searched the forum in the first place.

Thomas
    GPLHost:>_ open source hosting worldwide (I'm founder, CEO & official Debian Developer)
    Servers & our leading control panel and our Xen VPS hosting, which are already included in Debian and Ubuntu
    Available in: Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Sydney, Seattle, Atlanta, Paris, London, Barcelona, Zurich, Israel

My vote goes to centos.. because it is free of cost.

Quote Originally Posted by angathan View Post
    My vote goes to centos.. because it is free of cost.
    This is the most stupid argument ever. CentOS is free of any charge, but that's only a consequence that it's free as freedom. Now, exactly, appart from the stupid RHEL, which distribution is to be paid for? And here, clearly, CentOS depends on the work of a "to be paid for" distribution.

If you guys start pickup up arguments about the freeness, then you should go in the favor of Debian, which is the only really free distribution in this world, made free (as freedom), by open source people, managed democratically. See the social contract and the DFSG on which every Debian developer has to clearly agree before going through procedure and philosophy checks:

http://www.debian.org/social_contract

Now, try to find the equivalent in CentOS. Of course, you wont find it... simply because there's no developers in CentOS, as all packages are made in Fedora, which is the unstable distribution of greedy fortune 500 RedHat.

Thomas
    GPLHost:>_ open source hosting worldwide (I'm founder, CEO & official Debian Developer)
    Servers & our leading control panel and our Xen VPS hosting, which are already included in Debian and Ubuntu
    Available in: Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Sydney, Seattle, Atlanta, Paris, London, Barcelona, Zurich, Israel

+(10) centos 5
    Automated, Secure & Low Cost cPanel Backups (on the cloud)
    For Users & Web Hosting Providers - User Backups

CentOS sure You will Find solutions if you encounter a problem
    Webgater.CoM - Cheap FullyManged Unmetered VPS , Master Reseller ,
    Reseller and Webhosting.
    Tomer A

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast