Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

VPS with many ips?

Most companies I have talked to limit the amount of ip addresses per vps, one company i talked to mentioned a max of 16, are there companies that allow for more ip addresses, obviously I would pay more for the additional ip addresses.

Its not really worth a providers time to give more IP's,
    Say you wanted 32 IP's, most if not all providers would rather sell 16 VPS with 2 IP's each than give you 32 IP's.

Its not a technical problem, the problem is it's just not in a providers commercial interest.

John
    Ultra High Performance UK VPS without compromise.
    HPe servers, Intel NVMe DC P3700/P4600 SSD
    https://clustered.net

makes sense, just wishful thinking I suppose

As long as you pay for it and justify them, I don't see why it should be a problem...
    Ekin Ersoy
    Stagnom Servers | Europe Dedicated Servers with Redefined Support
    Follow us on Twitter: @StagnomUK | Like us on Facebook: facebook.com/Stagnom

ServInt allows up to 32 per account

thats not a bad amount, i will take a look at server int. the idea was to do high quality vps's with 10-15 shared accounts on it, offer them 2 ips per shared account.

What exactly are you using all the ip's for?
    Windows / Linux VPS
    Xen Virtualization
    RockVPS.com

Normally shared account uses the main shared ip. Why do you want to offer your clients dedicated ips? Just curious

As others have said its not really in the companies interest to sell large amounts of IP's to a single client with a single VM.
    BotWars.io - Code the AI of your Battle Bot!

Hi,

I don't see why giving more IPs should be a concern. At least it wouldn't for us, ONLY IF (big big if here) the usage is justified, and I suppose it's same for every company. Remember, APNIC, ARIN and RIPE can audit ANY provider's IP usage, and if it's badly use, the IPs can simply go away, which would be a terrible thing for a provider.

Again, please explain here why you would need more than 16 IPs. Here's a list of bad reasons that wouldn't be acceptable:

- SEO
    - Your self preferences
    - playing online game and need to hide

Here's some good practice:

- HTTPS (one IP is required for each SSL enabled site)
    - Multiple PPP servers

Thomas
    GPLHost:>_ open source hosting worldwide (I'm founder, CEO & official Debian Developer)
    Servers & our leading control panel and our Xen VPS hosting, which are already included in Debian and Ubuntu
    Available in: Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Sydney, Seattle, Atlanta, Paris, London, Barcelona, Zurich, Israel

Why there is a limit of IP on vps? Client need IP's for running vpn, gaming networks, https, different class for seo, hosting domains on independent IP etc and as long as client is paying I don't see any reason why there should be a limit of IP per vps. We have clients running over 100's of IP on there vps's. Maybe there is a pre defined limit of IP on dedicated servers which most (vps) companies use for hosting vps. But for colo clients data centers have different understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovps View Post
    Why there is a limit of IP on vps? Client need IP's for running vpn, gaming networks, https, different class for seo, hosting domains on independent IP etc and as long as client is paying I don't see any reason why there should be a limit of IP per vps. We have clients running over 100's of IP on there vps's. Maybe there is a pre defined limit of IP on dedicated servers which most (vps) companies use for hosting vps. But for colo clients data centers have different understanding.
    I'm afraid you have a totally wrong view on the issue. These are not rules that the hosting companies are enforcing, but rules imposed by APNIC / ARIN / RIPE. In NO WAY data centers can agree in such a waste of IP addresses. Clearly, it's totally forbidden to give-up IP addresses for SEO, hosting domains on independent IP, or gaming networks. These are international rules, and they are the same for ALL. Why? Simply because IPv4 IPs is now a very scarce resource. Any company having such bad practice will be in deep deep trouble when an audit from the authority comes.

Please disclose the companies that are allowing 100s of IP wastes here, so we can report them to the ICANN and other relevant authorities.

Thomas
    GPLHost:>_ open source hosting worldwide (I'm founder, CEO & official Debian Developer)
    Servers & our leading control panel and our Xen VPS hosting, which are already included in Debian and Ubuntu
    Available in: Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Sydney, Seattle, Atlanta, Paris, London, Barcelona, Zurich, Israel

Quote Originally Posted by gplhost View Post
    I'm afraid you have a totally wrong view on the issue. These are not rules that the hosting companies are enforcing, but rules imposed by APNIC / ARIN / RIPE. In NO WAY data centers can agree in such a waste of IP addresses. Clearly, it's totally forbidden to give-up IP addresses for SEO, hosting domains on independent IP, or gaming networks. These are international rules, and they are the same for ALL. Why? Simply because IPv4 IPs is now a very scarce resource. Any company having such bad practice will be in deep deep trouble when an audit from the authority comes.

Please disclose the companies that are allowing 100s of IP wastes here, so we can report them to the ICANN and other relevant authorities.

Thomas
    I strongly support his point.

I've heard of companies assigning IPs without justification and as much as the client requests. Not ethical behavior at all.

Another justification as far as I can see is an IRC server. But I do not know if IRCs can be setup on a name-based architecture or IP based only.

4 IPs are provided free of charge with each VPS server by some companies.
    More IPS can be requested and purchased if desired. Its depends on the VPS
    plan purchased, this could amount upto to 6.
    SUPPORT FACILITY | 24/7 TECH SUPPORT
    SERVER MANAGEMENT | WEB HOSTING SUPPORT | WP EXPERTS

As long as you pay for it and justify them, I don't see why it should be a problem...
    Thats right, but hosting company can also make you to buy another account by putting a max cap in number of IP's per account. Practically 2 ip's per account should suffice but you must be having some specific requirement
    Last edited by allennbb; 08-27-2009 at 11:08 AM. Reason: misspell
    █ All time best VPS Hosting is now more affordable
    █ Compare different VPS hosting Providers
    █ Ultimate place for Top VPS Hosting Comparison
    █ Reviews | Ratings | News | Articles | Forum | Offers

Providing 4 IPs to begin with without asking a justification is also very stupid, and against all rules. People in this board should start to understand it, this is NOT about money, and it has never been. Companies acting like if it was WILL get in trouble, sooner or later.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by ganesh-rao View Post
    I strongly support his point.

I've heard of companies assigning IPs without justification and as much as the client requests. Not ethical behavior at all.

Another justification as far as I can see is an IRC server. But I do not know if IRCs can be setup on a name-based architecture or IP based only.
    IP based

Quote Originally Posted by turbovps View Post
    different class for seo,
    http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/myth-b...-ip-addresses/

..... Please disclose the companies that are allowing 100s of IP wastes here, so we can report them to the ICANN and other relevant authorities.

Thomas
    This is so sad.
    While you typed in that sentence, far worse things happened in the world that went unreported.
    Besides if the organisations themselves don't do anything about it, why start a Don Quichote fight ?
    They would probably send you a thank you email, and do nothing about it.

Quote Originally Posted by pwrdwnsys View Post
    While you typed in that sentence, far worse things happened in the world that went unreported.
    Right. Because there's some murderer, people should not report when a car is stolen. Very well, your call... That logic is beyond me...

Besides if the organisations themselves don't do anything about it, why start a Don Quichote fight ?
    Because rules have to be the same for everyone, otherwise, where's the fairness?

Thomas

..... Please disclose the companies that are allowing 100s of IP wastes here, so we can report them to the ICANN and other relevant authorities.

Thomas
    Getting in line with your murder and car theft analogy :
    When was the last time someone made a similar public call to report a certain group of people who were also just running a business, working a job, taking care of their family ? In other words just getting on with real life, and adapting to it.
    That must have been 70 years ago.
    That same person who made the public call to report others, 70 years ago, turned out to be a "remote hands" mass murderer. But no one (could) report him, because they were too scared or busy reporting the other people.

Why not do your own research and reporting instead of recruiting others to start a "we are holier than holy" war ?

"A VPS with many IPs" is requested from, and provisioned by someone elses company. Not yours. Why ask other people to report it ?
    Did ARIN inspect and penalise your company ?
    And now you feel that other companies should experience the same ?
    Or do you expect to receive a life-sized stature at the entrance of the ARIN buildings ?

When IPv6 has taken over in a couple of years, what's your next target ?
    It's a never ending story.

Going to look for 1 (one) VPS with at least 300 IPs issued from different Class A, B, and C blocks for SEO purposes.

Am I reading well? Are you doing a 2nd world war analogy? Do you know what it deserves? A GODWIN POINT! (have a look on wikipedia if you don't know what the godwin law is)

Seriously, you didn't understand my point at all. My point was NOT to report a company acting badly with IP assignment, for that, as you said already, there's the ARIN doing it's very good job of IP usage audit. Soon, there wont be any IPv4 remaining (forecast is for 2012), and at this time, there will be even more serious audits. In fact, it has already started to be more strict...

When I was asking "please disclose the company" that was mainly for people here to know who's not serious enough to keep IP assignment by the rules imposed to everyone. Such company must be exposed here as not serious. Also, I don't think that so many company are really doing it. I heard many times here people talking about it, but never I could read company names.

Yes, we did have been audited twice, and we passed without any hurt, because we know and respect the rules imposed by the authorities to anyone.

Thomas

P.S: Now, PLEASE, stop calling me an Nazi, this is really going too far here. My grand father was sent in the camps because he was fighting the germans (after they found him hiding weapons and being part of a group of resistant). This is quite shocking me to read what you wrote.

I think I should add something else here.

A company assigning 300 IPs to a VPS for one of his customer, just because the company wants to do money is obviously being a bad netizen.

Where's the ethic here? Me because I want to know the name of the company doing it disclosed in this forum (and then, called Nazi for it...), or the (no name) company being just plain greedy without respect of the rules imposed to everyone?

Thomas

What is the general Ip's assigned to a vps then - or does it just depend on the provider

@gplhost:
    I do not know which personality is posting under your nick at the moment.
    But I wish you good luck.

@gplhost:
    I do not know which personality is posting under your nick at the moment.
    But I wish you good luck.
    What does this mean? I do not hide, I sign with my first name, and there's only one Thomas at GPLHost. All this is public, and everyone can check who I am. I can't say the same thing for you, with only 8 posts and a nick that nobody can even pronounce, seemingly picked-up randomly... maybe only to use when talking about ethic and Nazis? Hum ... Good luck indeed!

Thomas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast