Commerce hosting with mailing lists needed

I'm using a temporary hosting solution now for my website that gathered some moss over the last 12 years. My main website gets about 8k uniques a month and I have two mailing lists - customers - about 3k and double opt-in subscribers close to 7k, mailing max about twice per month. It's all legitimate and ethical, white hat.

I used to have a fairly good hosting solution on a semi-dedicated server - basically sharing a server with another account with similar profile, unfortunately our relationship went sour after my ex-host locked my account after a single spam accusation (sent from a fake account) after 7 years of hosting. I won't share any details - it's been reported and although I haven't heard from them in over a month - it might be still under investigation.

Anyway - I'm looking for a reliable hosting solution for my main website and a few supporting 3-4 page sites, blogs and a few "for future consideration" sites (all in all about 20 domains) that would give me adequate space and bandwidth and also give me a benefit of a doubt in case of spam accusation, allow phone support in emergency, provide technical support for me and accommodate mailing to my people in a reasonable fashion (300 emails per hour would not be acceptable).

I'd also avoid 1-2 person company that may change their policy in a heartbeat leaving me stranded like it happened to me recently.

What kind of hosting package would be the best in my situation? Any particular hosts you could recommend? I used to have WHM installed in my account and I liked its simplicity of use.
    (I'm not familiar with server setup and unsupported dedicated hosting is completely out of question.)

As long as you don't mind throttling your emails any host that is reputable should be able to help you out - I believe HostGator allows 500 emails/hour (they may have upped it recently) however I don't think the issue is with a 1-2 man host as policies can change abruptly even at larger providers.

Good luck.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

What your best bet would be to look at getting a managed dedicated server - unless your sites are fairly static in which case I would look at a managed VPS.

Where are your main visitors going to be from? Look for a company close to you and contact them and ask regarding their mail sending policy - as long as you explain what you are doing it is most likely a non-issue. Most hosts will say that you will be subject to audits now and again to ensure that you are following the CAN-SPAM guidelines.

If you post your space / bandwidth requirements I am sure people can offer some suggestions to a host that would be appropriate for you.

Quote Originally Posted by RelicHostCom View Post
    What your best bet would be to look at getting a managed dedicated server - unless your sites are fairly static in which case I would look at a managed VPS.

Where are your main visitors going to be from? Look for a company close to you and contact them and ask regarding their mail sending policy - as long as you explain what you are doing it is most likely a non-issue. Most hosts will say that you will be subject to audits now and again to ensure that you are following the CAN-SPAM guidelines.

If you post your space / bandwidth requirements I am sure people can offer some suggestions to a host that would be appropriate for you.
    I think a managed dedicated server is an overkill. I've hosted on a vps server in the past and resources available were worse that shared hosting. I'm not sure if that is generally true.

I need to have a full month's stats to post my requirements, but it will be in the neighbourhood of 4gb transfer for my main website and about 8gb for my other websites, space needed about 8gb.

How about clustered environment?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    As long as you don't mind throttling your emails any host that is reputable should be able to help you out - I believe HostGator allows 500 emails/hour (they may have upped it recently) however I don't think the issue is with a 1-2 man host as policies can change abruptly even at larger providers.

Good luck.
    I don't mind slowing it down a bit as long as it doesn't take 2 days for my mailing )
    At 500 an hour it's still about 14 hours to mail my subscriber's list!

The main issue for me is to be treated as an honest person I am - not guilty till proven innocent. I realize it's difficult to assess ahead of time...

Where are your main visitors going to be from?
    About 95% from the USA

I would suggest looking through the offers section here on the forums and looking at the reviews of the companies. Then contact them directly asking about there mail policies.

Quote Originally Posted by dowser1 View Post
    I have two mailing lists - customers - about 3k and double opt-in subscribers close to 7k, mailing max about twice per month. It's all legitimate and ethical, white hat.
    Just to clear this up, does it mean your customers list is NOT double opt-in ? While some may assume it are customers it does not automatically mean you can send them email other as mail related directly to the service they bought from you (i.e. invoices). I ask this as these regulations may differ from country to country and when having international customer it could cause valid complains.

It also might be you just forgot to mention this is also a double-opt-in list.

Quote Originally Posted by dowser1 View Post
    I don't mind slowing it down a bit as long as it doesn't take 2 days for my mailing )
    At 500 an hour it's still about 14 hours to mail my subscriber's list!

The main issue for me is to be treated as an honest person I am - not guilty till proven innocent. I realize it's difficult to assess ahead of time...
    Most shared servers are going to have similar limits - either that or the host is likely to face a lot of spam complaints/ip blacklists.

If you go with a semi-dedicated, vps, or dedicated you should be able to send as much mail as you want but spam/abuse reports will still go to your host and then will fall down onto you so as long as your list is clean and you are willing to maintain the list (i.e. remove users that report your mails as spam) you should be good to go.

Many providers are willing to up their mailing limit/hour if you give them justification - you're more likely to get this sort of treatment with a smaller provider than a large but there are some larger providers out there that are understanding.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

I believe HostGator allows 500 emails/hour (they may have upped it recently) however I don't think the issue is with a 1-2 man host as policies can change abruptly even at larger providers.
    From Hostgator's mail policy:

Any mailing list larger than 5,000 addresses will require a dedicated hosting solution from us. Note: Dividing one large list into smaller lists to get below this limit is not allowed.
    2. Any mailing list over 900 email addresses is only allowed to be sent to during off-peak times to prevent high server loads. Off peak times qualify as all day Saturday and Sunday, and 1AM - 8AM Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday.
    3. The list must be a Double Opt-In list.
    http://www.hostgator.com/mailpolicy.shtml

Have you found any potential hosts yet?

and what are the specifies of hosting you are searching, and what price ?
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 08-25-2009 at 02:26 AM.

Have you found any potential hosts yet?
    I've checked a few - I'm in the middle of a major change on my main website, so will have to wait till it's finished - I hope within a week.

Quote Originally Posted by WebHost911 View Post
    and what are the specifies of hosting you are searching, and what price ?
    cPanel, WHM, suitable for about 20 domains, about 16gb space and about 10-12gb bandwidth (that may change)

My main website uses 14 databases (!) - I can probably trim a few.

To be honest I recommend using MailChimp or Madmimi for mailing lists. Both are reliable and reasonable. As for eCommerce, any host would do, shared hosting is not meant for mailing lists on a large scale like that.