How much bandwidth do I need?

My website is going to be a Wordpress blog, but like a normal website

There are a few images (not many), and no videos, and mainly text

I'm planning on getting quite a lot of visitors eventually (lol), so I i'm concerned that if my site becomes popular, my bandwidth might be used up

Would 20GB be sufficient?
      0 Not allowed!

Well it depends how many visitors you expect. Lets say 100.000 hits (page views) = 1 GB of bandwidth
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by hostbite View Post
    Well it depends how many visitors you expect. Lets say 100.000 hits (page views) = 1 GB of bandwidth
    well, with 20GB a month, i'd be more than happy if I was getting 2,000,000 hits hehe

there's an option to upgrade also, so I could always go to 50GB if I become that popular lol

excellent - thanks
      0 Not allowed!

Well than i thinks its a good solution. But most important is that they are reliable. Good luck
      0 Not allowed!

since you're starting out, 20gb would be more than ok - and since you're looking for a shared host - upgrading when the time comes will also be a lot easier. you shouldn't worry too much about bandwidth for now since you're starting out - you don't need too much but just in case, make sure your host allows upgrading and it's also a good idea to ask them how much bandwidth you can request in total in upgrades.
      0 Not allowed!

Yeh 20GB would be more than enough.
    Best to get a host where you can upgrade to a bigger package as needed.
    - Buying up websites, side-projects and companies - PM Me! -
      0 Not allowed!

Don't calculate your first month's usage. Take the average of the first three months.

The first month generally includes all your uploads/downloads and mods/edits. Excessive transfers. This will most likely wont be there in your second month onwards when your site becomes more stable.
      0 Not allowed!

If you're starting out go for a very basic package, with the option to upgrade for free later. That makes the most sense since buying a really high end package would mean you wont use much of the resources for many months until you get popular.
      0 Not allowed!

20GB is a lot of bandwidth already, start off small and upgrade as needed. Make sure the host doesn't charge a overage fee for bandwidth you use over.
      0 Not allowed!

Start off small and cheap and work up the ladder as your blog grows.
      0 Not allowed!

20GB would be fine to start with. As you grow move up to a larger plan.
    Uploadingit.com - Fast Reliable File Hosting
      0 Not allowed!

maybe need more
    50 or above will fine
    good luck
    Webgater.CoM - Cheap FullyManged Unmetered VPS , Master Reseller ,
    Reseller and Webhosting.
    Tomer A
      0 Not allowed!

Any shared plan should be fine for a new or start-up blog. 20GB transfer per month would be more than enough in my opinion since you stated you'll contain very little media content.
      0 Not allowed!

20gb should be fine for beginning and if it goes more popular then as you said upgrage to 50gb
      0 Not allowed!

for an mostly text wordpress blog just starting out 5 or 10gb is more than enough. 20 is overkill, imo.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by db09 View Post
    for an mostly text wordpress blog just starting out 5 or 10gb is more than enough. 20 is overkill, imo.

I completely agree. If you are just starting out 20GB is more then enough. If you are using a shared host upgrading should be easy and take no time at all. Good luck with your new blog
    Currently hosting with Big Brain Global Networks
      0 Not allowed!

Like a few already mention 20GB is plenty to start. You can always update if you need or you can try services like s3 to store your images, videos, etc.
    Angel - Guarantee #1 on Google Local Internet Marketing
    Make $42 of any referral with our Partner program
      0 Not allowed!

You do not need to worry about the bandwidth right now, most of the shared hosting plan bandwidth are sufficient for your website requirements.
    If your website traffics increased significantly, it is never to late to request for upgrading the hosting plan from your hosting company.
      0 Not allowed!

dude, pay monthly.. scale as you go. Don't pre-pay to get discounts either. Go for a better control panel; with a good uplink and RAM. I think bandwidth should be the last in your case.
      0 Not allowed!

You wont need much to start with, a couple of GB max i would imagine. Then upgrade as required!
      0 Not allowed!

I'd be surprised if starting off if you even use a gig. If anything find a company that offers an upgrade, with any luck your site will grow in size and hits and you will use more, but 20GB a month is honestly a ton of transfer for you a typical blog.
    The Web Hosting Network
    Innovative Hosting Solutions Personal Support & Sales
    Superior Web Site Hosting Since 1999
      0 Not allowed!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by twhnman View Post
    I'd be surprised if starting off if you even use a gig. If anything find a company that offers an upgrade, with any luck your site will grow in size and hits and you will use more, but 20GB a month is honestly a ton of transfer for you a typical blog.
    I totally agree. I have a customer on a multi-site plans that has 4 busy web sites including 1 busy forum 200-700 visitors per day, a very busy e-commerce store (over 1,000 items) and 2 other web sites including many photos and a few video clips and he seldom hits 3-4GB total for all 4 sites.
    Another client, a Hollywood computer graphics guy has to use a lot because he uploads his work for customers to check then downloads it and changes & re-uploads etc. until it's right and he allows them to download it and with all that he does good to hit 8 GB a month (and these are BIG computer generated video graphics files)-he's done stuff I guarantee you have seen in commercials & such so he's no amateur and yet he has never even broken 8 GB during a busy month when he's working on 2-3 projects.

Most people WAY overestimate the amount a new site will use. Unless you get VERY popular VERY quick you probably won't use more than 1-2GB disk and will be quite a while before you break 1GB transfer. Just make sure the host has an easy upgrade path and you will be fine. People use big numbers to attract "newbies" who will naturally think "bigger is better" when the truth is over ~95% of new hosted sites ever use more than ~5% of what was advertised in their "plan".
    New Idea Hosting NO Overselling-Business-Grade, Shared Only! New-In House Design Team.
    High Speed & Uptime; , DIY Pro-Site Builder-Daily Backups-Custom Plans, All Dual Xeon Quad Intel servers w/ ECC DDR3 RAM SCSI RAID minimums.
    We Concentrate on Shared Hosting ...doing one thing and doing it VERY well
      0 Not allowed!

If it is mainly text, 20GB will be fine. But if there are many images you can easily cross 20GB.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by bentink View Post
    If it is mainly text, 20GB will be fine. But if there are many images you can easily cross 20GB.
    Even with a lot of images unless the images are *huge* it will take quite some time to pass 20gb until you really start to get a lot of traffic.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/
      0 Not allowed!

Yes, 20gb bandwidth are too much for a website with minimum amount of images and videos.
    You can start by hosting your blog on a shared hosting plan which most hosting plan have the sufficient bandwidth that you might need.
      0 Not allowed!

100 1MB images viewed 100 times a day will take around 300GB bandwidth in a month.
      0 Not allowed!

100 1MB images viewed 100 times a day will take around 300GB bandwidth in a month.
    1mb images are *very* rare on web sites unless it's a site that centers around media content.
      0 Not allowed!

A high resolution image is likely to be more than a mega byte.
      0 Not allowed!

A high resolution image is likely to be more than a mega byte.
    Yes... and you're not going to find high resolution pictures on the average web site hence what I said before:
    unless it's a site that centers around media content.
      0 Not allowed!

He did not mention what sort of images he wanted to put.
      0 Not allowed!

He did not mention what sort of images he wanted to put.
    Yeah, which is why we all said for a basic/average WordPress site starting out 20gb would be fine - if it is based around images/videos/media it could be quite a bit more if they don't use an external image hosting service of some sort.
      0 Not allowed!