Cloud Server/Hosting - Recommendations?

Right now Amazon and Rackspace both offer "cloud hosting" types of products, but I don't like their pricing. I don't think you get a good value for the dollar in terms of usable resources. My company provides ecommerce services to clients and having a dynamically scalable hosting platform that a cloud can offer would be great...but...not if the price is wrong.

I would appreciate some recommendations of solid companies who offer competitively priced cloud hosting with CDN bandwidth, additional static IPs at no extra cost and CPANEL/WHM.
      0 Not allowed!

Been looking exactly for that for the past month or so, I'm interested if there is a provider for this as well.

With Amazon, you need to play around with WHM so that it will work, you cannot install it right out of the box.

Also asked GoGrid, they told me they don't support cPanel yet.

I think the best way is to go with dedicated for now.
    We Have Generated Over 7 Million cPanel Backups Come Dance Together With Us Y'all!
    Offer Your Own Backup Hosting Service - SiteAutoBackup.Com (Private Label / WHMCS Ready)
    WebHostingBusinessBook.Com | YouTube.com/WebHostingTutorial | NowOpenOnline.Com
      0 Not allowed!

Most "Clouds" are offered as a services, not as a platform that enables you to deploy in-house web hosting cloud. That's why all web hosts who offer Cloud hosting services use proprietary control panels and hosting management tools. There is no standardization on this market. it is brand new. So, you will not find what are you looking for. At least not until the end of the year.
    Host Color Cloud Servers & Dedicated Hosting & European Infrastructure Hosting
    U.S. Data center 90 miles from Chicago
    Network ★ AS46873 Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net, Midwest Peering
    24/7 Support 1-574-367-2393; Skype: HostColor
      0 Not allowed!

Isn't that the real point and definition of 'Cloud hosting' - to supply scalable services to an end user, without the need for configuring anything?

Anyway, what I think you want, is just a vps, rather than cloud hosting as it is defined currently.
      0 Not allowed!

I've used the SoftLayer cloud and I was very happy - they delivered what appears to the kernel and to the end user a full dedicated server however it really is on the cloud service allowing you to increase CPU, Memory, Storage, etc... on the fly as you need it.

All in all I was very happy and the prices were comparable to a regular dedicated server - I don't know that you will be happy though because it only goes down to around $99/month without any sort of control panel (such as cPanel).
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/
      0 Not allowed!

Why don't use "Find a host" option here. I suppose that would be the quickest way to get in touch with subscribed providers here on the WHT
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by StevenG View Post
    Isn't that the real point and definition of 'Cloud hosting' - to supply scalable services to an end user, without the need for configuring anything?

Anyway, what I think you want, is just a vps, rather than cloud hosting as it is defined currently.
    Exactly...I think a lot of the current options are companies who just cluster a few old servers together and try to capitalized on the cloud computing buzz. I'm not seeing truly cost-effective scaling because I can get better performance for less with a dedicated box by comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    I've used the SoftLayer cloud and I was very happy - they delivered what appears to the kernel and to the end user a full dedicated server however it really is on the cloud service allowing you to increase CPU, Memory, Storage, etc... on the fly as you need it.

All in all I was very happy and the prices were comparable to a regular dedicated server - I don't know that you will be happy though because it only goes down to around $99/month without any sort of control panel (such as cPanel).
    $99 a month WITHOUT cpanel/whm...whoooooa...this is 2009 not 1999 I think they need to reevaluate their pricing strategy. As much as they may want to deny it, "cloud" is just a fancy way of saying VPS. I can only laugh at these providers who think $100 plus is reasonable when you can get the same VPS for $50 or less with cp/whm.

Quote Originally Posted by SiberForum View Post
    Why don't use "Find a host" option here. I suppose that would be the quickest way to get in touch with subscribed providers here on the WHT
    I could also use Bing, but neither of these provides feedback about the services. I want some solid recommendations from people who have experience with the companies they are suggesting.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by SsZERO View Post
    $99 a month WITHOUT cpanel/whm...whoooooa...this is 2009 not 1999 I think they need to reevaluate their pricing strategy. As much as they may want to deny it, "cloud" is just a fancy way of saying VPS. I can only laugh at these providers who think $100 plus is reasonable when you can get the same VPS for $50 or less with cp/whm.
    Actually I feel that it's more than worth it - SoftLayer is a top notch provider and they don't target the "bargain basement" crowd. I am sure the prices will eventually come down but imho $99 is good as you're not going to get a dedicated server under $139 at SoftLayer and that's not scalable and also does not include any sort of control panel.
      0 Not allowed!

Actually I feel that it's more than worth it - SoftLayer is a top notch provider and they don't target the "bargain basement" crowd. I am sure the prices will eventually come down but imho $99 is good as you're not going to get a dedicated server under $139 at SoftLayer and that's not scalable and also does not include any sort of control panel.
    Who said anything about bargain basement? You're missing the point; you need to compare cloud "servers" to VPS. They are not comparable to dedicated servers because they are not standalone dedicated units...and $99 for a VPS is very high, especially for it not to include CP/WHM.
      0 Not allowed!

Some are standalone dedicated units, as chances are you will get the whole machine if you commit to a larger pricing plan which will give you all the resources.

You also forgot to take into account that each SL Cloudserver comes with 2000GB bandwidth, good luck beating it with your rackspacecloud or amazon ec2.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions
      0 Not allowed!

Yeah, commit to a larger pricing plan and pay 3 times as much as you would for dedicated/colo? Really? Do you work for these guys?

This is what SL gives you for $99 per month:

1 Core + 1GB RAM + 100GB SAN Storage

EL OH EL

If you actually pay $99 per month for such an underwhelming virtual server...well...I can only laugh. I don't think rackspace or amazon's solutions are any better...it seems that the only thing that scales well with cloud servers is their {over}pricing.

$20 extra for RedHat each month, only other choices are Windows Server. No option for CentOS. SL, Rackspace and Amazon = options that do not work for me, at all. Thanks.
    Last edited by SsZERO; 08-22-2009 at 11:51 AM. Reason: More pricing lulz
      0 Not allowed!

Who said anything about bargain basement?
    You were the one that said it was too expensive

You're missing the point; you need to compare cloud "servers" to VPS. They are not comparable to dedicated servers because they are not standalone dedicated units...
    I don't really care - a standard VPS is a lot different from a "cloud vps" as you state it as the standard VPS is placed on a node with very limited top-end resources and scalability does exist but it's limited quite a bit more than you would be on a cloud instance.

What I was saying was that the instance I ordered acted/looked/behaved just like a dedicated server - I wasn't saying it wasn't a VPS or that it was a dedicated server replacement but I was simply stating my experiences with the service.

and $99 for a VPS is very high, especially for it not to include CP/WHM.
    It could be a XEN VPS but I really honestly don't care - I order a 4 core 2.0ghz 4gb ram Cloud instance at SoftLayer I get basically the same thing I would get ordering a quad core 2.0ghz 4gb ram dedicated server for a comparable price but the catch is that I can easily scale up the computing instance where as I can't the dedicated server.

Whether it's too expensive for what you get or not depends on your budget and what you feel is expensive - obviously *you* feel that it's way too expensive where as somebody else may feel that's its a good deal because you don't just receive the box and nothing else but you receive the service, support, and network of the provider as well.

In my opinion the $99 is well worth it but as others (like you) will certainly feel that it's too expensive this is where competition comes into play to get the consumer what they need/want at a price they feel comfortable paying.

Cloud hosting hasn't been turned into a commodity yet unlike standard shared hosting and until that happens chances are the prices are going to be seen as "too expensive" for many customers.

Also I do have some experience with the "Mosso Cloud" and I will tell you that what you get with Mosso is entirely different from what you get with SoftLayer - SoftLayer acts more like a dedicated server (or vps) where as Mosso is more like a shared account placed on a huge cluster. It definitely varies from company to company and there is no set standard (that I am aware of).

You need to relax a tad bit, this certainly isn't anything to get all bent out of shape over.
      0 Not allowed!

I'm not bent out of shape, and yes, our opinions on perceived values can differ. My expectations of "cloud computing" are "cheap, abundant, reliable" and while it may be reliable, it is lacking in the other two. By cheap I mean relatively cheap compared to a dedicated box with similar cpu/storage/memory. I think there is a lot of opportunity here for the right company to seize the currently disorganized "cloud hosting" market....hmmm...
      0 Not allowed!

Yeah, commit to a larger pricing plan and pay 3 times as much as you would for dedicated/colo? Really? Do you work for these guys?
    SoftLayer Computing Instance 8x2.0 GHz Cores - 8 GB Ram $299/month
    SoftLayer Dedicated Server 8x2.00GHz 2GB FB-DIMM 533/677 Starting at $359
    I don't know where you are getting your numbers but as I see it - going the Computing Instance route is cheaper. I'm not sure if the "Do you work for these guys?" statement is aimed at me but I certainly do not - I am an extremely happy customer of almost a year and a half now.

This is what SL gives you for $99 per month:
    1 Core + 1GB RAM + 100GB SAN Storage
    Yeah, and for $299 you get 8 cores and 8gb ram - the pricing scales quite nicely - the smaller the server the more you are going to pay per core/ram/etc... That's just how it works - as the other poster said the larger the commit the smaller the price per unit.

<<removed>>

$20 extra for RedHat each month, only other choices are Windows Server. No option for CentOS. SL, Rackspace and Amazon = options that do not work for me, at all. Thanks.
    Well RedHat isn't free and as such I don't know why you would expect it for free... As for the OS Options ... I see plenty of them: http://www.screen-shot.net/ss/3179736616617879160.png
    CentOS 5 - LAMP Install (32 bit) $0 $ 0
    CentOS 5 - LAMP Install (64 bit) $0 $ 0
    CentOS 5 - Minimal Install (32 bit) $0 $ 0
    CentOS 5 - Minimal Install (64 bit) $0 $ 0
    Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 - LAMP Install (32 bit) $20 $ 0
    Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 - LAMP Install (64 bit) $20 $ 0
    Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 - Minimal Install (32 bit) $20 $ 0
    Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 - Minimal Install (64 bit) $20 $ 0
    Ubuntu Linux 8 LTS Hardy Heron - LAMP Install (32 bit) $0 $ 0
    Ubuntu Linux 8 LTS Hardy Heron - LAMP Install (64 bit) $0 $ 0
    Ubuntu Linux 8 LTS Hardy Heron - Minimal Install (32 bit) $0 $ 0
    Ubuntu Linux 8 LTS Hardy Heron - Minimal Install (64 bit) $0 $ 0
    Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 Lenny/Stable - LAMP Install (32 bit) $0 $ 0
    Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 Lenny/Stable - LAMP Install (64 bit) $0 $ 0
    Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 Lenny/Stable - Minimal Install (32 bit) $0 $ 0
    Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 Lenny/Stable - Minimal Install (64 bit) $0 $ 0
    Windows Server 2003 Datacenter SP2 (32 bit) $20 $ 0
    Windows Server 2003 Datacenter SP2 (64 bit) $20 $ 0
    Windows Server 2008 Standard Edition SP2 (32bit) $20 $ 0
    Windows Server 2008 Standard Edition SP2 (64bit) $20 $ 0
    Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Edition SP2 (32bit) $50 $ 0
    Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Edition SP2 (64bit) $50 $ 0
    Windows Server 2008 Datacenter Edition SP2 (32bit) $75 $ 0
    Windows Server 2008 Datacenter Edition SP2 (64bit) $75 $ 0
    Windows Server 2003 Standard SP2 with R2 (32 bit) $20 $ 0
    Windows Server 2003 Standard SP2 with R2 (64 bit) $20 $ 0
    Windows Server 2003 Enterprise SP2 with R2 (32 bit) $25 $ 0
    Windows Server 2003 Enterprise SP2 with R2 (64 bit) $50 $ 0
    Last edited by sirius; 08-22-2009 at 12:53 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

SoftLayer Computing Instance 8x2.0 GHz Cores - 8 GB Ram $299/month
    SoftLayer Dedicated Server 8x2.00GHz 2GB FB-DIMM 533/677 Starting at $359
    I don't know where you are getting your numbers but as I see it - going the Computing Instance route is cheaper. I'm not sure if the "Do you work for these guys?" statement is aimed at me but I certainly do not - I am an extremely happy customer of almost a year and a half now.
    You probably use a Mac and love it too...seeing as how you find inflated prices to be a "great deal" and somehow think that decent support should cost extra and warrant higher pricing?

Yeah, and for $299 you get 8 cores and 8gb ram - the pricing scales quite nicely - the smaller the server the more you are going to pay per core/ram/etc... That's just how it works - as the other poster said the larger the commit the smaller the price per unit.
    Two quad-core chips with 8 GB of ram...doesn't seem like a very well designed system to me. And we're talking about "cloud" instances, which means it's a VPS and not an actual box. You're still sharing resources with other users even if each user is in their own sandbox.

<<removed>>

Well RedHat isn't free and as such I don't know why you would expect it for free... As for the OS Options ... I see plenty of them: http://www.screen-shot.net/ss/3179736616617879160.png
    Wait, when did I say RedHat should be free? Are we adding reading comprehension issues to your dynamically scaling list of inadequacies?

I'll see your screen shot and raise you:

****** SL Cloud System 1 Core/1GB/100GB - $99.00
    100 Mbps connection - $10.00
    32 IP Address - $28.00
    CentOS 5 - $00.00 (Yay!)
    CPANEL/WHM - $25.00

Total MONTHLY Cost - $162.00

You'd think that the current economic state would get people to spend smarter when it comes to their business...but no, you got idiots like this guy who has in his mind justified $162 as being reasonable for a VIRTUAL SERVER. I like how they charge almost a dollar extra per IP - nice touch.

<<removed>>
    Last edited by sirius; 08-22-2009 at 01:03 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

This thread seems to have turned into a bash SoftLayer thread. They have a high-end datacenter, great network, excellent staff, so they charge more. You should try going to RackSpace and asking for some server costs and we'll see if your jaw will ever be the same.

It seems that you have calculated the pricing on everything, so why are you making these arguments here? You obviously already know what's what from the back-end side of things, so why is it so hard to make a decision on your own? You've already knocked down all the major cloud providers, as they don't seem to fit well with you, so I doubt we can make any recommendation here.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions
      0 Not allowed!