How fast should business DSL be?

Hi Everyone,

I have recently started my own business at home and would like to have a server in house connected to a local business DSL. In the past I have always used other hosting providers such as Rackspace.

There are several business DSL offers for my area but I am not sure which one would be best. I expect moderate traffic to the website. It will be a tax based website where people will be filling out forms on several different pages. Not very many graphics, but there will be PDF downloads that could be around 1MB in size.

I expect to have around 200 concurrent connections on the website at a time.

Does anyone know if 3.0 Mbps Down and 768 Kbps Up would be an alright connection or should I stick with a host that has a higher rate?

Thanks for any replies,
    - Jon

More than likely this would violate your agreement with the DSL provider (though it is a biz connection, so maybe not), and those specs would not work very well for a server with that many connecting.
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

That sounds alright though my DLS is 768K Up and 6Mbps down
    We Have Generated Over 7 Million cPanel Backups Come Dance Together With Us Y'all!
    Offer Your Own Backup Hosting Service - SiteAutoBackup.Com (Private Label / WHMCS Ready)
    WebHostingBusinessBook.Com | YouTube.com/WebHostingTutorial | NowOpenOnline.Com

Quote Originally Posted by jrianto View Post
    That sounds alright though my DLS is 768K Up and 6Mbps down
    You're hosting a site with ~200 concurrent connections on it?
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

Don't host it inhouse, spend a few bucks a month and get a professional to do it for you.

I expect to have around 200 concurrent connections on the website at a time.
    768kbs/200 = 3.84kbps per connection, in ideal conditions. That's some 10 times slower than a regular dial-up connection. Your decision.

PS. Are you really sure about those 200 simultaneous connections?

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    More than likely this would violate your agreement with the DSL provider (though it is a biz connection, so maybe not), and those specs would not work very well for a server with that many connecting.
    I don't think there would be any violation to the DSL agreement. They said hosting my own server would be perfectly fine since it is the business account. I made sure to ask when inquiring about the bandwidth.

I am a software developer and have no problems maintaining my own server. I am just a little fuzzy on bandwidth and if it would soon be overwhelmed.

Thanks for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    768kbs/200 = 3.84kbps per connection, in ideal conditions. That's some 10 times slower than a regular dial-up connection. Your decision.

PS. Are you really sure about those 200 simultaneous connections?
    There will often be times of 200 concurrent connections (according to IIS Performance monitor) for another site I maintain that is currently hosted at Rackspace.

I just hated to pay for another server at Rackspace if I could do this one in house.

What kind of website is it ?
    If you are serving just webpages that is not overly graphical, you might be able to get away with a T1 connection.

The download speed is not something you need to care for webhosting. It's the uploading speed that matters to host websites.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfleap View Post
    I don't think there would be any violation to the DSL agreement. They said hosting my own server would be perfectly fine since it is the business account. I made sure to ask when inquiring about the bandwidth.

I am a software developer and have no problems maintaining my own server. I am just a little fuzzy on bandwidth and if it would soon be overwhelmed.

Thanks for the replies.
    Why not put the site on the rackspace server you own or go with a cheaper alternative like 10tb.com with there scaleable vps plan so you can pay less if your not using what you need. I dont think your connection could hold 200 users but I know my isp comes with a free webhosting plan ask them if they offer this. Another alternative is don't go with a host like rackspace, You can get the same quality for about half the price.
    Leader of the new anti sig spamming club.

Simple answer is its not going to be fast enough. 768 Kbps isn't very much at all.

And remember if that gets maxed your download speed is going to go through the floor, it will be slower then your upload. And with 200 concurrent connections it will get maxed often.

A T1 really wouldn't be enough because a T1 is only 1.544 Mbps, you would really have the same problem. And a T1 would cost more then what getting a second server would.
    Uploadingit.com - Fast Reliable File Hosting

You should get T1 if you want to host from home, that or just co-locate in data centre. Since you will never be able to replicate a data centre in house unless you have lot's of money.

I do this exact thing with 6M down, 768 up. I don't charge for anything over it, but I do have about 10 email domains and about 15 web sites running over it, including most of my own mail.
    It works great, actually. I did get 32 static IPs, and it does not violate my TOS (most business level services don't).
    The rest of the house uses the 'net also, and I game quite a bit, no problems at all going on 5 years now.
    This is the best signature in the world....Tribute!
    (It is not the best signature in the world, no. This is just a tribute)

Another idea to consider. Is verizon fios available in your area? If they are, they have packages with some serious upload like 15Mbps. If you could get that, that would be a lot more up your alley than that DSL would be.

Like others have said though, if you have 200 concurrent connections, downloading a 1Mb PDF, on 768k up, it would download at a speed of 3.84kb/s. Which means, according to this download calculator http://www.numion.com/Calculators/Time.html it would take your clients 30 minutes to download that 1Mb PDF.

Just my opinion, but that's totally unacceptable. You'd be better off with a little $5 per month shared account from a host than doing it like that.
    Bobby - PreciselyManaged.com - Precision Hosting Solutions
    █ Enterprise Shared, Reseller, VPS, Hybrid, and Dedicated Hosting
    █ SpamExperts | CloudLinux | cPanel | Bacula + R1soft | and more!
    █ Full proactively managed, and we specialize in hosting small web hosts

Thanks for all the excellent feedback. I really appreciate it.

Most of the time the people will be filling out html forms. It is a tax website. Lots of questions. I cannot put it on my existing Rackspace server b/c it is pretty database extensive with all the calculations pulling and saving to the database.

A shared server isn't an option because of possible security risks with taxpayer data. A Virtual Private Server might be alright. I'm not 100% sure of the security risks involved with a VPS.

Looks like Verizon fios isn't in my area. That might have worked out nicely

My current setup at Rackspace costs around $900/MO. It has a firewall plus the server. I'm basically trying not to spend that much a month if I can get away with it. A couple months at that price and I can buy a much better server.

Thanks again for the feed back,
    - Jon